Options

Project marked down

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,207
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I'm in my last year at university studying English Lit. I have just received back a piece of work, which I was already shown over a week ago and told what my mark was. After that it went to moderation, a typical process where they check the marking is right. But my mark has gone from a 68 to a 62!!!

I'm really gutted and quite worried about my overall degree result. I have never had this happen to me before. On top of all this the module I produced the work for was brand new and rather unorganised. The assessment criteria was not clear at all but all the same I worked my ass off to produce what I thought was fairly decent work.

I guess I just wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else. I know it does happen but I'm so upset it has been reduced that much, especially after the chaos the module presented. In the comments from my lecturer she even said it wasn't far off a 1st, now it isn't far off a 2:2! :(:cry:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    But it is a 2:1. You could worry about it, or get on with other things.
    It happens. Sorry, but there's not much more to say beyond that, and not sure what advice anyone can give. Yes it did happen to me, and I just "OK".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if I sound unappreciative. But I have been through hell and back trying to get my degree. I feel like I have taken 20 steps back. Every mark counts in the final year and for me its the difference between a 2.1 and a 2.2 and possibly my job offer being taken back. I just cannot 'ok' it.
  • Options
    Beer MonsterBeer Monster Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is a pass on a BSc course considered crap?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    If getting a 62 puts you at risk of getting a 2:2 then (assuming the boundary is 60 as it normally is) then that implies that most of your other results are below that anyway, so it is those results that put you at risk of a 2:2 not this one.

Put it behind you and try to use it as motivation to push on with the remaining exams/projects to get back into a solid 2:1.

A 2:2, by the way, isn't the end of the world! :)
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with a Desmond! Look where it got me....! Oh blimey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is a pass on a BSc course considered crap?

I am doing a BA Hons not a BSc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A-Friend wrote: »
    If getting a 62 puts you at risk of getting a 2:2 then (assuming the boundary is 60 as it normally is) then that implies that most of your other results are below that anyway, so it is those results that put you at risk of a 2:2 not this one.

Put it behind you and try to use it as motivation to push on with the remaining exams/projects to get back into a solid 2:1.

A 2:2, by the way, isn't the end of the world! :)

Some of my past marks were not so good but I have made up since. But still not in safe 2:1 territory.
    It is not so much the 62 mark, its how different it is from the original mark. I was told it was a really good piece of work and now I am being told otherwise. Plus this project counts towards my dissertation so if there is something not right its going to make a difference to my final module. I am not questioning the word of my lecturer.
    Sorry if this doesn't sound important. But I have had so many problems over the past three years, I just want to get a good degree behind me. It means a lot to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always an appeals procedure. Make sure you put together a good case!
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1, when you were told your mark was it a preliminary mark? The papers have to be moderated, to do this they send a few papers to the moderators. If the mods feel that all work has been too harshly/loosely marked they will move all the marks up/down regardless. Your tutors will look out for you, as a "bad" mark (yours is not one) makes them look bad.

2, My friend and I at Uni managed to get our marks up loads in the final year. We both wanted 2.1's and worked our socks off for them. In the end she got 75% on her dissertation, 2 x 2.1 marks and the rest 2.2, making her overall grade a 2.1. I got bang on 60% - a 2.1 by the skin of my teeth. Uni will get you the best result they can - it makes them look better.

Aside all of that, it doesn't matter if you got 60% or 69% for your degree - employers don't care that you were only a few marks off a 1st class degree, you certificate never states that. Basically accept that, find out where you went wrong, rectify it and continue working your socks off. Book a holiday for June/July too - you'll need it!

Good luck! x
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just throwing in my two pence, I've been stressed and worried about what degree I'm going to leave uni with and have just begun an industry case study project where I had to visit potential employees at a television production company. The producer there told me as long as I have a degree on my C.V it shows I am dedicated. The vision mixer who had just been given the job after graduating from his own course said it does not matter what degree you get as long as you get one - he got a third and is now working on a prime time game show as his FIRST industry job. There is no real reason to put your grade on your C.V. when applying for jobs, unless of course you were awarded a first and are particularly smug about it! Employers don't tend to ask. If it makes you feel better, do some asking around yourself and see how many people were asked what degree grade they achieved when they were applying for vacancies, and ask potential employers exactly how much it concerns them.

Things you should be more worried about in terms of future employment after graduating are 1) whether you have actively and independently sought out plenty of experience in your chosen field and 2) whether you have a large enough range of experience to make your C.V. stand out against those you will be battling for jobs with who may have the same degree and qualifications as you.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry this has happened, OP. Sounds like you've had to carry the consequences of the internal admin not being up to scratch. I wonder if there were any consequences for the person who marked your work, and whether they contested the revised mark to justify the score they gave you?

If the assessment criteria were unclear at the outset, then you have a good case to argue. But you will have to keep this very unemotional in order to make progress. I can really understand your anxiety about every mark counting: I'm waiting to hear in the next 7 days what mark I get for my thesis, and this will determine the overall grade of my Masters.

Evaluate, within a fixed time span, whether this has potential to go in your favour. If it hasn't, move on, and continue the graft to give yourself the best chance of getting the degree you deserve. Good luck.
  • Options
    Forza FerrariForza Ferrari Posts: 7,433
    Forum Member
    BlurAlly wrote: »
    Some of my past marks were not so good but I have made up since. But still not in safe 2:1 territory.
    It is not so much the 62 mark, its how different it is from the original mark. I was told it was a really good piece of work and now I am being told otherwise. Plus this project counts towards my dissertation so if there is something not right its going to make a difference to my final module. I am not questioning the word of my lecturer.
    Sorry if this doesn't sound important. But I have had so many problems over the past three years, I just want to get a good degree behind me. It means a lot to me.

Your university should have a court or an examination pannel which you can pettition.

New module unorganised and not clear criteria is an all to common story at uni's.

Did the external mark down everything that went to them? If they marked down everything eventually the whole year could be marked down.

If you really want your 2:1 I would start providing a bit extra than what your being asked for in everything. Don't go your own way too much. Some times a bit more analysis and some more original sources gets you some of the marks reserved for A papers but it can also lead you up a blind alley so be carefull.

Don't be shy of knocking all your tutors and lectures doors and asking them what you can do to boost your grades. If there never in send an email and ask to book some time. Make them work for their money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ref "working for their money"

The priority of universities is as research centres, over and above their role as teaching institutions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your essays will go for external moderation at the end of your degree. I'm in the same boat as you, and I understand how important it is to get the marks. However, your university should have not given you the first unmoderated mark - it can really upset you if it gets pulled down (as is the case).

Last year I got 52 on an essay, on a unit taken my a visiting lecturer. I took it to my tutor quite frankly appalled and she even said she wouldn't have given it that mark and she has the reputation of a hard marker. At the end of the day there was nothing I could do except think about future essays and realise the % overall it affects. Maybe I'll be lucky and it goes up when externally moderated, but there's no point in dwelling.

You know I think you can still get a 2:1 even if you're high 50's? At my university, it depends on where most of your marks lie and what kind of candidate you are (i.e. your overall standard of work produced). At my university they call you for a viva voice to let you earn the grade if they think you deserve it - I expect this is also the same with other universities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the replies.

Just thought I would let you know what I have found out since then. I emailed my lecturer after receiving my work back because she wasn't in. I eventually received a reply yesterday and she said that the entire class has been marked down by 6 marks. The module in question is a preparation module before you actually carry out this 'creative project' in the final semester. This is the equivalent to a dissertation, which is why I am so concerned. The moderator said the reason all the students were marked down was because they didn't 'accomplish enough'. Aside from the fact we were not told to 'accomplish' our project last semester, if I had 'accomplished' any more of mine I would have finished it and had nothing to do in the final semester. Each project is very individual and the assessment for which I have been marked down for was designed to plan and prepare before actually doing the project. I couldn't have done any more planning without carrying it out. We were not told any of this in person or in the module documentation.
    Sorry this probably sounds all quite complicated. I feel really angry at the reasoning. I know a lot of you will say 'ignore it, forget it' etc etc, but this is really important. If they make this mistake next semester there will be nothing more I can do, because thats it the end of my degree. To top it off my lecturer who emailed me about why it was marked down said, 'all I can do is make sure your work is amazing next semester.' Err.. I'm not brushing this under the carpet!
    I just want to get a good degree at the end of the day. I should still get a 2.1 and even if I don't I am due to start work at my local newspaper in June. I have been working there part-time for the past three years while going through education and the editor has been terrific, saying I can have a job when I'm done studying.
    Ultimately the good degree is for myself. I've been through hell and back trying to get through university. Some people just don't take to it, I am one of those. I have been depressed and ended up transferring universities to my current one (I beginning to regret that now!). So I guess it really means a lot to me to get through it. I have been messed about in other modules last semester as well. Argh.

Sorry for such a long post and if it sounds a bit muddled. I have emailed by personal tutor to ask what I can do about this. I'm not letting it go.

Thanks again for all the words of wisdom.
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing your tutor is relatively inexperienced at marking and grading. I'm a teacher myself, but have not been doing the job for long. I've been told that I'm an overly generous marker, and after a moderation meeting with other teachers, my last term's classes had their essays lowered down by one mark. In many cases this meant they went down a whole grade, but that is my fault for being overly-generous, not theirs. They are not at fault - my marking is; but I understand why some of them will be upset. They feel as though they've earned the grade.
    Over/under marking is common at university. One class had a new teacher who gave everybody 80s - they were later marked down to 50s!
  • Options
    CabbagesAhoy!CabbagesAhoy! Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the replies.

I just want to get a good degree at the end of the day. I should still get a 2.1 and even if I don't I am due to start work at my local newspaper in June. I have been working there part-time for the past three years while going through education and the editor has been terrific, saying I can have a job when I'm done studying.

BlurAlly - This is the thing to remember - this is the hard work that is REALLY going to make a difference to your life.

It's very easy to get wound up over degree work but you have put yourself way ahead of the pack by doing this. Well done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With your next piece of work I'd recommend you keep close in touch with your supervisor re your ideas, via email (so you have written evidence of the guidance you receive), in order to "accomplish" as much as possible.

Try and keep your emails relatively discursive, rather than too formal, but this should ensure you don't get similar nasty surprises, - and if you do, you can at least provide back-up showing the guidance you received.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to worry, if you end up with an average of 57-59 they still round it up to a 2.1 ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnnycash wrote: »
    Not to worry, if you end up with an average of 57-59 they still round it up to a 2.1 ;)

Er!?? Are you sure about that?

When I was reading about the grading system of my university it specifically set out the .5s and .75 etc which ensure the marking is accurate. It didn't mention anything about rounding up. I hope you are right though! I think I am okay so far, I'm still on about 62 average but I am yet to receive back another piece of work before going into my final semester, and I think that one is not going to be good at all.
    Before I transferred I was getting 67s and 68s. Since I have been at my current university I have been getting 62s or far below. I don't understand what I am doing differently.

EDIT - Thanks CabbagesAhoy, thats a real confidence boost. I have put so much effort in building up a good name at my local paper, and of course putting the hours in. I think its paid off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years down the line, you won't even remember what degree classification you've got. If you've got a guaranteed job anyway, you're sorted.

Marking/grading is never straightforward. I'm currently doing a degree by distance learning (have done it the 'normal' way in the past), and as student rep, I'm forever fielding queries/quibbles about grades. There's one girl on the course who did her first degree at the same uni that we are currently studying with; finished it the academic year before we started this course, with a 2.1. And yet, most of her grades on this course are mostly 2.2s. It's not even that different a subject, and most of the markers are her old lecturers.

Focus on the future. Talking of - make sure the paper funds your NCTJs/NCE (reporter qualifications). And give yourself a headstart by getting in some shorthand practice! A year's time, and you'll be grumbling about your 100wpm shorthand test, and your degree worries will be a distant memory.
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnnycash wrote: »
    I don't think you're right. What happens is that the border line cases are examined closely and during the examiners' meeting they look for almost any reason to bump up the marks a few percent to make them the higher grade. So, yes you do stand a very good chance of being bumped up a grade, but no it isn't automatic.
  • Options
    HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alaninmcr wrote: »
    I don't think you're right. What happens is that the border line cases are examined closely and during the examiners' meeting they look for almost any reason to bump up the marks a few percent to make them the higher grade. So, yes you do stand a very good chance of being bumped up a grade, but no it isn't automatic.

I think that what you said is probably true of most Universities, but there are some that do it automatically. For my course, if your mean is 57-59 then as long as your median is 60 or above then you do automatically get bumped up to a 2.1
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I'm in my last year at university studying English Lit. I have just received back a piece of ...................from my lecturer she even said it wasn't far off a 1st, now it isn't far off a 2:2! :(:cry:
    four points on one assignment can reduce a degree from a 1st to a 2:2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    four points on one assignment can reduce a degree from a 1st to a 2:2?

No, it was a 68 and was reduced to a 62 (6 marks down) and in her marking comments she said I wasn't far off a first.