Hollyoaks general discussion (Part 10)

Comments

• ReoReo Posts: 8,638
    Forum Member
    Gone too far? Don't you think you're being OTT? She's being a bitch but she's not doing what Ruby done a year ago and bullied her best friend and ex-boyfriend. She's not done what Brendan did and beat up his boyfriend. She's not cheated on every boyfriend she's ever had remorsely like Mercedes. The audience are perfectly willing to get past all that. She's being underhandly mean to Ruby, yes. She's not the flippin anti-christ.

I know people have been talking about the change in Ruby and saying that Maddie can also change, the problem is that Ruby has a complete change of character, she is a different person and it is unrealistic, she is a new character, they even forgot that she can't read well. It's not like they developed her character away from her nasty side and redeemed her over time, they changed her character completely from one episode to another, she might as well have a different name. That's not a good thing to do, if you want to change a character, that change has to be seen, for me it would be a struggle to accept a change in Maddie.

It's a soap and things are viewed differently in soap, murder is just something that happens and opinions are varied depending on who died and who killed them.

But a teenage girl being unnecessary nasty time and time again while putting up a show, yes, it will be hard to forgive and forget that, no matter the sob story.

I will admit that priorities are messed up in soap, I loved Silas, but can't stand Maddie and would happily see her die, while I hope Silas comes back. :p
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,606
    Forum Member
    Even though it was filler, I enjoyed the whole dinner party thing with them all! It was really well played, not just by them but by Claire Cooper and Andy Moss too. They always seem to make even the most mundane stuff shine.
    I thought the dinner party was a bit of a letdown, but drunk Jacqui is always good fun, and I agree that she and Rhys bounce off each other really well. Ally's a bit of a snore, though.
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote: »
    She has done very well so far but I agree with you, I didn't think she was as good tonight. It didn't flow smoothly. She's not in any trouble, though. She's certainly in with a chance of winning although, realistically, if, as expected, it ends up being between her and Matthew Wolfenden, he is likely to get more votes. He is at least as good as she is and Emmerdale has a far bigger audience than Hollyoaks.

Yeah thats obviously a factor but I think Jorgie's personality could win it for her tbh plus I think all the youngish girl viewers will love her, my niece does anyway, and I think these are the people who vote more than soap viewers do. I think she's in with a good chance as long as she keeps the momentum up.
    Forum Member
    I thought her and Will were ok really, I knew they wouldn't work as a couple from the get go but I didn't dislike it. They will put her with Joel for sure and that's bound to bring her some drama because he's a bit of a bad 'un.

I think her exit story will definately revolve around Calvin's murder and I do wish they'd do something with that anyway because I thought Jorgie Porter was excellent in the aftermath of that at the time.

The problem was all Will, he was obsessed with her.... for two weeks, then she was a annoyance to him, either taking up his time when he wanted to be with his mates or he felt she was a embarrassment.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else think that Dylan Llewellyn (Jono) is really terrible at acting?

I want to like him so much... as he is very cute and endearing.... but the acting is just awful :o
    Perhaps it's the rather clumsy story line he's in atm? Or he just needs to bed-in as an actor.
    Forum Member
    Reo wrote: »
    I know people have been talking about the change in Ruby and saying that Maddie can also change, the problem is that Ruby has a complete change of character, she is a different person and it is unrealistic, she is a new character, they even forgot that she can't read well. It's not like they developed her character away from her nasty side and redeemed her over time, they changed her character completely from one episode to another, she might as well have a different name. That's not a good thing to do, if you want to change a character, that change has to be seen, for me it would be a struggle to accept a change in Maddie.

It's a soap and things are viewed differently in soap, murder is just something that happens and opinions are varied depending on who died and who killed them.

But a teenage girl being unnecessary nasty time and time again while putting up a show, yes, it will be hard to forgive and forget that, no matter the sob story.

I will admit that priorities are messed up in soap, I loved Silas, but can't stand Maddie and would happily see her die, while I hope Silas comes back. :p

Well I don't know if it has to be explained through a sob story, surely it would be better if she just redeemed herself in some way by being genuienely nice to Ruby, since she's the person to whom she's committed the offense. Tbh, it just seems like people are having a massive over-reaction to her behaviour when compared to the antics of some of the other characters and I don't really get it but like you say thats soaps for you. Personally I didn't like her at all and then she really grew on me around christmas because we saw a much nicer side, right now i'm back to not being much of a fan but i'd rather see her just become nice again than hate on her so much, it seems ott to me.

Anyway I'm honestly tired of the Maddie debate so I don't want to keep going on about it. I don't blame anyone for not liking her behaviour regarding Ruby but she obviously has a nicer side when it comes to Tilly and Callum and I wish they'd just stick to that because her being mean just isn't nice or entertaining to watch, its just awful.
  • whoyouarexowhoyouarexo Posts: 6,099
    Forum Member
    Love the stuff with Ste and Amy with Ally..so simple but so funny..like seeing Ste/Amy together again aswell!

I have to to go out on a limb here, I like Maddie. I think it has been made painfully obvious that there is a reason for the way she acts, and im sure when its her "turn" she'll reveal that. The Maddie/Callum relationship started so well, and still has great moments but the whole Callum being aloof etc, because of George is going round in circles a bit, that needs to expand.

As does Jono/Ruby, they keep going round in circles aswell, and I like them together!

The episodes with George/Phoebe last week were amazing..I really felt fearful for them in the last one with Deena and the man, and it showed me what a good actor George is! So glad he got his own storyline.

Im actually growing to like Neil aswell, it is quite common, especially in the area of driving to have that amount of pressure, and I think the relationship between him and Tony is quite sweet. I like Tony in the "College Cafe"

Love the Darren/Nancy stuff, hope they make it down the aisle happily! I know not everyones positive about Paul M, but if he did do something good, he got Darren/Nancy + Jacqui/Rhys together, who are arguably the most popular couples on hollyoaks!

Still a little disappointing that the Doug story had no proper follow-up, and that theres been nothing between him and Lynsey..so much potential there!

Also think Dodger could do with a story. I always liked the idea of him and Texas...speaking of, wheres Jodie gone, was she a temp character?
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member

If they're going to give her a sob story, Ms Bowman will have to learn to sob first. ;)
  • avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the stuff with Ste and Amy with Ally..so simple but so funny..like seeing Ste/Amy together again aswell!

I have to to go out on a limb here, I like Maddie. I think it has been made painfully obvious that there is a reason for the way she acts, and im sure when its her "turn" she'll reveal that. The Maddie/Callum relationship started so well, and still has great moments but the whole Callum being aloof etc, because of George is going round in circles a bit, that needs to expand.

As does Jono/Ruby, they keep going round in circles aswell, and I like them together!

The episodes with George/Phoebe last week were amazing..I really felt fearful for them in the last one with Deena and the man, and it showed me what a good actor George is! So glad he got his own storyline.

Im actually growing to like Neil aswell, it is quite common, especially in the area of driving to have that amount of pressure, and I think the relationship between him and Tony is quite sweet. I like Tony in the "College Cafe"

Love the Darren/Nancy stuff, hope they make it down the aisle happily! I know not everyones positive about Paul M, but if he did do something good, he got Darren/Nancy + Jacqui/Rhys together, who are arguably the most popular couples on hollyoaks!

Still a little disappointing that the Doug story had no proper follow-up, and that theres been nothing between him and Lynsey..so much potential there!

Also think Dodger could do with a story. I always liked the idea of him and Texas...speaking of, wheres Jodie gone, was she a temp character?

Yes I agree with everything you have said here!
    Forum Member
    Well I don't know if it has to be explained through a sob story, surely it would be better if she just redeemed herself in some way by being genuienely nice to Ruby, since she's the person to whom she's committed the offense. Tbh, it just seems like people are having a massive over-reaction to her behaviour when compared to the antics of some of the other characters and I don't really get it but like you say thats soaps for you. Personally I didn't like her at all and then she really grew on me around christmas because we saw a much nicer side, right now i'm back to not being much of a fan but i'd rather see her just become nice again than hate on her so much, it seems ott to me.

Anyway I'm honestly tired of the Maddie debate so I don't want to keep going on about it. I don't blame anyone for not liking her behaviour regarding Ruby but she obviously has a nicer side when it comes to Tilly and Callum and I wish they'd just stick to that because her being mean just isn't nice or entertaining to watch, its just awful.

The problem is that nearly half of the teens have done something that they need to make up for, but they wont, because like I said yesterday, we are meant to view these as cool teens, not baddies. I doubt we will see Bart or Neil get any comeuppance for laughing at Ruby, Jono wont, Sinead didn't when it came to Jason, so why would Maddie?

I think they should have Callum see Maddie's true colours and he dumps her, then that leads to her friends seeing how she really is and abandoning her (not that Sinead, Bart, Neil or Jono are any better), have her hit rock bottom and then maybe if they can turn her around, realistically she might be liked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're going to give her a sob story, Ms Bowman will have to learn to sob first. ;)

Being able to sob is something your born with not taught! I'm sure Scarlett Bowman can sob, she did fine last year!
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,606
    Forum Member
    Cruel but fair.
    Forum Member

I really hope they continue showing the George the characters and Callum know and he doesn't go back to the way he was before, hanging off Maddie and Tilly's arms. They have made him quite well liked, when he wasn't before.

I love Jacqui/Rhys and Darren/Nancy! Now they need Lynsey/Doug!!

Jodie is back either next week or the week after.
    Forum Member
    I think Scarlet Bowman is actually a good actress, they just need to give her a proper storyline to get her teeth into, she hasn't got much material other then rolling her eyes and sarky comments at the moment.

I like seeing her more vulnerable side with Callum, I have a feeling that will be explored alot more.
  • Ready Steady GoReady Steady Go Posts: 39,592
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that Dylan Llewellyn (Jono) is really terrible at acting?

I want to like him so much... as he is very cute and endearing.... but the acting is just awful :o
    Perhaps it's the rather clumsy story line he's in atm? Or he just needs to bed-in as an actor.
    I think he's improved since he was first onscreen. I remember during the Abersoch week he was really embarrassing to watch, one of the worst teens thats ever been on the show, with all his hashtag nonsense. But I think he's reined it in a bit more now.
    Forum Member
    The problem is that nearly half of the teens have done something that they need to make up for, but they wont, because like I said yesterday, we are meant to view these as cool teens, not baddies. I doubt we will see Bart or Neil get any comeuppance for laughing at Ruby, Jono wont, Sinead didn't when it came to Jason, so why would Maddie?

I think they should have Callum see Maddie's true colours and he dumps her, then that leads to her friends seeing how she really is and abandoning her (not that Sinead, Bart, Neil or Jono are any better), have her hit rock bottom and then maybe if they can turn her around, realistically she might be liked.

Well like I said I don't want to keep going on about it but I don't think someone losing all their friends and boyfriend is just punishment for being manipulative and bitchy to one person. I think Tilly and George know full well who she is - the girl who plays her has said as much and I think Callum does too but there's obviously another side to her that keeps them there. We'll see what happens I guess...

Also...

Yay Jorgie's safe for another week. Woot woot.
    Forum Member
    I think Scarlet Bowman is actually a good actress, they just need to give her a proper storyline to get her teeth into, she hasn't got much material other then rolling her eyes and sarky comments at the moment.

I like seeing her more vulnerable side with Callum, I have a feeling that will be explored alot more.

Agreed. :)
    Forum Member
    I really hope they continue showing the George the characters and Callum know and he doesn't go back to the way he was before, hanging off Maddie and Tilly's arms. They have made him quite well liked, when he wasn't before.

I love Jacqui/Rhys and Darren/Nancy! Now they need Lynsey/Doug!!

Jodie is back either next week or the week after.

I like George with Callum, and I like him with Maddie and Tilly, but I think they need to keep the balance and not just make him an extension of Maddie/Tilly like they did previously.
    He is very popular compared to how he was, this whole storyline has been the making of him! I remember how annoying everybody used to find him!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh I'm glad we've seen Callum in a different storyline. I love his scenes with Ash as well
  • Ready Steady GoReady Steady Go Posts: 39,592
    Forum Member
    He is very popular compared to how he was, this whole storyline has been the making of him! I remember how annoying everybody used to find him!
    Yes, the change of opinion about George really has been massive! I don't think I've ever seen a character go from hated to liked as quickly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed! Yes I think the storyline with Callum and maddie will come to a head very soon.
    Forum Member
    I like George with Callum, and I like him with Maddie and Tilly, but I think they need to keep the balance and not just make him an extension of Maddie/Tilly like they did previously.

Can you imagine the praise the actor/character and storyline would have got if they carried it on for months instead of a few episodes? If they don't bring it back, then that is a huge mistake, the same if they return George to the way he was before.
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks need to show other characters, just so that there's something else to talk about.
    Forum Member
    Yes, the change of opinion about George really has been massive! I don't think I've ever seen a character go from hated to liked as quickly.

Oh I agree! At first he was practically the most hated of the teens, threads of stuff about him, and now we all love him!
    Can you imagine the praise the actor/character and storyline would have got if they carried it on for months instead of a few episodes? If they don't bring it back, then that is a huge mistake, the same if they return George to the way he was before.

I would be quite prepared to say that if they gave that storyline months, maybe 4-6 months, that the guy playing George could of easily been up for some sort of award for that. Its a shame it has been so short-lived.

I also hope they don't return him to how he was originally.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    Hollyoaks need to show other characters, just so that there's something else to talk about.

Hell to the yeah.
This discussion has been closed.