Hollyoaks general discussion (Part 10)

Comments

• ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if you really do have to have an interview at a registry office before they will agree to marry you, I've never heard that before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you really do have to have an interview at a registry office before they will agree to marry you, I've never heard that before.

No they were winding him up
  • ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I've just googled it and apparently it's bullshit.

ETA Although you do need to give notice in person, so Nancy would have had to go.
  • RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    ally08 wrote: »

I dunno if it is mandatory... but my brother had one last year... and my friend attended one last week in her wedding plans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    iShum wrote: »
    to be fair, I liked having some of the cast back in it.

Yeah, I liked having Darren and Nancy around for more than a minute.

But the thing with the Mercy plot... I thought that was going to be a darker, slightly longer-running sl than the ones we've been getting lately? The rate they're going through it it'll be over by the end of the week. I think HO's pacing is just piss poor at the moment. I'm not even fond of Mercy particularly but I'd been betting on this as a break from the monotony of last week's events.
  • avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I enjoyed the episode and looking forward to Tuesday's episode! You can't please everyone!:)
  • RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    avon942 wrote: »
    Well I enjoyed the episode and looking forward to Tuesday's episode! You can't please everyone!:)

It was a really good episode - apart from the one let down at the end by Maddie crying.

I think it is an interesting direction to take Mercedes - like you could imagine this happening to her.

Callum and George are fast becoming the strongest of the teen group for me.
  • avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rain wrote: »
    It was a really good episode - apart from the one let down at the end by Maddie crying.

I think it is an interesting direction to take Mercedes - like you could imagine this happening to her.

I thought the maddie/Callum was good, It wasnt a let down for me. George/Maddie and Callum are my favs of the teen!

Darren is another character I adore so I enjoyed all his scenes and I think the Mercedes/Lynsey could be an interesting storyline.
  • Vanessa73Vanessa73 Posts: 7,330
    Forum Member
    Rain wrote: »

I love George and Callum. Their friendship feels very genuine. But Maddie annoys me. I don't like her at all.
  • ReoReo Posts: 8,638
    Forum Member
    Darren, Rhys and Jacqui had the best scenes today and I have liked Nancy appearing now and again recently, even though I would like to see her more, it is good to see her appear when needed. I would like to see the same with other characters, they don't have to have a main part, but just show that they are there.

The Mercedes and Lynsey scenes were okay, but nothing special, I think this is another quick storyline, over in a week or two. What is the point in getting invested in a storyline that you like when it wont last more than a couple of weeks, it will end before it should, no build up, everything go by quickly, a cut off ending and never to be mentioned again.

But I would gladly take a cut off ending and never to be mentioned again storyline with Maddie, how awful was her attempt at crying and telling Callum how she feels? Not only did it seem so fake, but the cry was terrible and in no way did it make me feel sorry for and want to forgive her for everything she has done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vasa wrote: »
    Yeah, I liked having Darren and Nancy around for more than a minute.

But the thing with the Mercy plot... I thought that was going to be a darker, slightly longer-running sl than the ones we've been getting lately? The rate they're going through it it'll be over by the end of the week. I think HO's pacing is just piss poor at the moment. I'm not even fond of Mercy particularly but I'd been betting on this as a break from the monotony of last week's events.

Looks like his week is pretty much about the Mercedes and Darren SL with no doubt a few Teens fillers. Next week looks like It about the teens, no doubt with Darren fillers.

I agree about the Mercedes SL. To my mind, she has stolen money from someone she slept with, he thinks she is a prostitute. She may be with him again, but I am not really believing that she will go the whole nine yards in this SL and it will be, as you say, over very soon. Just to get Lynsey her nursing job back ????

Come on HO - please introduce a SL that will keep the viewers waiting for the next ep on tenterhooks. We have had 12 weeks of nothing but fillers.

Serously getting fed up now:(
  • Ace_DriverAce_Driver Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I actually cannot believe this is Hollyoaks anymore.

The past week has been absolutely atrocious. All the storylines this week have been teens, teens and more bloody teens. I do not care at all about Ruby's quest for popularity, or wether Maddie thinks Calum is cheating on her. It literally is just the most boring thing to watch - I would actually rather watch paint dry.

A few years ago, Hollyoaks was better than the rest of the other soaps. It won awards and actually got recognition it deserves. We had close to this quality last September/October. But it has all went downhill. Nearly 95% of the storylines have been based on effing relationships that are just ridiculous together. The characters are so 3D and are just carbon copy clones of previous legendary characters.

In the golden era, we had some amazing actors/actresses. We had the best storylines and the entire show just worked. Right now, it has come to a complete standstill and I am so close to just giving up watching because there is literally nothing keeping me intrigued.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    Don't like the way Maddie is over the whole Ruby/Jono thing, she's acting more like a schoolgirl herself.
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Reo wrote: »

The Mercedes and Lynsey scenes were okay, but nothing special, I think this is another quick storyline, over in a week or two. What is the point in getting invested in a storyline that you like when it wont last more than a couple of weeks, it will end before it should, no build up, everything go by quickly, a cut off ending and never to be mentioned again.

Not only that but again, zero build up. For me Mercedes has no redeeming features anyway so I'm less interested in this storyline as it is.

ETA: I know how you feel Ace Driver
  • Ready Steady GoReady Steady Go Posts: 39,592
    Forum Member
    This storyline with Mercedes actually could have been a slow burn, and quite dark and believable. There should have been a reaction from the McQueens about her giving Bobby to Riley. That, together with her cheating once again (therefore never learning from cheating with Tony and Calvin) could have lead to her feeling alienated from her family. She's always used sex as a way of dealing with her problems, I remember a few years back she even when to an addiction group with Darren. This storyline could have been the perfect opportunity for her issues to finally be resolved. I know it's only just started, but it seems as though it's going to be over in a matter of weeks, as it's already moving at such a fast pace.

I don't think Hollyoaks is anywhere near as bad as the Lucy Allan period right now, but it's the lack of build up and aftermath which is the problem.
  • SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a teen myself(I'm 16), and I've been in the minority in that I've liked most of the sixth formers since they first appeared. My favourites have always been Jono, Tilly and Maddie...but in the past week I've done a u-turn and they are now my least favourites, while my least favourites-Callum, George and Sinead (:eek::eek::eek:) are now my favourites! I NEVER thought I'd see the day when I actually said I liked Sinead!

I love Darren and can't wait for his storyline with Nancy(who I also love). But I must be in the minority with Mercedes and Lynsey...don't really like either of them :(

I know I say it a lot, but BRING JOEL BACK NOOOOOOOOW!! :cry::cry: I'm having withdrawal symptoms...there aren't any other gorgeous guys in HO!
    Forum Member
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    Not only that but again, zero build up. For me Mercedes has no redeeming features anyway so I'm less interested in this storyline as it is.

Yup, we saw her wake up with the guy, heard about a job from Lynsey, accepted the job after Myra complained, got the job, met the same guy and all in the same episode and she only had about 5-7 minutes of the episode to herself.

Does HOs think the viewers have attention problems? We can sit for weeks and even months and invest in the same storyline, they don't need to cut the build up or aftermath and fit everything else into a week or two.
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed the episode but WTF with the Maddie "crying" scene. What on earth was that!? :eek:
  • GilashGilash Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Is this the moment where we are meant to feel sorry for Maddie and excuse her for everything she has done? It even included the sad music.

It all seemed so fake, like she was just acting sorry and upset.

I did not feel sorry for her lol I have gone off her again. She has been even more vile this week, coming between Jono and Ruby. Though tbf Jono did deserve to be found out, he was just using Ruby at the beginning.:(

The sixth formers have grown on me to some extent. Though I would still be happy to see Bart and Sinead split up permanently, just let them be mates. They are so much better when they have separate storylines.
    Forum Member
    Does HOs think the viewers have attention problems? We can sit for weeks and even months and invest in the same storyline, they don't need to cut the build up or aftermath and fit everything else into a week or two.
    Like people were saying earlier, maybe they took notice of the FB comments that the Silas storyline was dragging? But that's because it disappeared off screen for a long time - it would hardly have had the success it did if he'd killed his victims and been arrested all within a month! It's fine to end storylines quickly if they're filler, but not if you want the audience to be invested.
    Forum Member
    Like people were saying earlier, maybe they took notice of the FB comments that the Silas storyline was dragging? But that's because it disappeared off screen for a long time - it would hardly have had the success it did if he'd killed his victims and been arrested all within a month! It's fine to end storylines quickly if they're filler, but not if you want the audience to be invested.

The Silas storyline was amazing, I would have loved to have seen that go on another year, even though I was looking forward to the reveal and the aftermath that I stupidly assumed we would be getting, I also didn't want it to end.

I really hope they aren't giving us one week storylines because FB users complained. Surely they would have a lot more sense, being in that line of work and knowing that storylines need time to develop, than paying attention to a small amount of viewers who didn't like one storyline.

If they do pay attention to what users say, then maybe in a few months time we will again start to see build up and real reactions and aftermath to storylines, because there are a lot of complaints about that at the moment, but by then, it may be too late. Who would want to continue watching it in it's current state?
    Forum Member
    I'd also have loved the Silas storyline to last longer. He killed his own daughter! And yet somehow that was all brushed over within a week. It would have been interesting to find out more about what happened to his wife, and for Heidi to discover that he murdered her. I know it's not much fun for viewers to watch weeks of scenes with cast members crying, but if there's no aftermath, it almost feels like what's the point in the whole thing?

Someone mentioned a few pages back about Hannah's anorexia storyline being an example of good storytelling. They chose the perfect character for it to happen to, because Hannah had always been in background, overshadowed by Sarah. The rejection by John Paul added to her feelings of self disgust. It built slowly, so the audience had time to care about her.

I know it was years ago now, but I do think that when Bryan Kirkwood got it right, he got it really right. He was great at the slow burn. Like you Reo, I'm hoping that Emma Smithwick is open to viewer feedback (not just people with short attention spans!) and uses it to her advantage.
  • GilashGilash Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I know it was years ago now, but I do think that when Bryan Kirkwood got it right, he got it really right. He was great at the slow burn. Like you Reo, I'm hoping that Emma Smithwick is open to viewer feedback (not just people with short attention spans!) and uses it to her advantage.
    [/QUOTE]

I agree with you. He was a great producer on Hollyoaks, but does not seem to have got rave reviews while being in charge on Eastenders. Shame he left.:(
  • habanalahabanala Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont know if its been said before but why doesnt lindsey just work at the club if she hates cleaning so much?! ste has gone and im sure cheryl and brendan would give her the job! not posted here for a while but im not hating the teens! (except maddie, obvs!) do you think the producers have forgetten about the wonens friendship already?! i also think the mercedes storyline could be great!
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Mercedes and when I heard about the 'prostitution' storyline I felt that this was going to be great. Dark, sensitive and believable! Now, I am guessing that it will be over in a week which is a HUGE letdown!
    I am really starting to get annoyed now about build up and aftermath for SL's in HO. I usually didn't care as HO isn't excellent drama that will win a BAFTA or Emmy but now it's reaching ridiculous levels! If this carries on I don't think I could keep watching which is dissappionting as I love HO!
    On a positive note, can I say how much I enjoy Jacqui and Rhys as a pair! They work so well together and really do make me laugh, as do Nancy and Darren and Cindy! :D
This discussion has been closed.