Options

Your prefered screen size

Comments

• Options
    Sun!Sun! Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me personally, I think that 4 inches is just about perfect.

I currently have an iPhone 4S, and wish the screen was a bit bigger.
    There massive 4.6/7/8+ phones just aren't for me. Maybe my hands and pockets are smaller than most people, but they just seem to big. Maybe I would get used to the size eventually.

When I eventually get a new phone (Which probably won't be anytime soon), I will aim to get something around 4 inches.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy with the 4.3 inches the Xperia S gives me, i can sit down with it in my pocket without worry so its an ideal size. Of course is any other phone had a bigger screen but with the same physical dimensions then that would be lovely.

Just a shame Sony have given up on the Xperia S and left the owners with a buggy lump of crap.
  • Options
    poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I have the Sony Xperia U which is 3.5"

Sometimes I do think its a bit small but it works fine. I can write messages fine even though the keyboard is pretty small. Its just a bit too small for watching videos etc

Maybe 4-4.3" would be a bit better but I'm not a fan of huge screens, would rather have high res/ppi
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say 4 inches is probably my preferred size but I am getting on okay with my 4.8 inch Nexus 4 although the onscreen buttons reduce the screen size to about 4.4 inches.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have said 4.8 (the size of my s3), but after getting my nexus 10, it seems to small for surfing the web now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have said 4.8 (the size of my s3), but after getting my nexus 10, it seems to small for surfing the web now.

So what size you going for next? The Note 3 is rumored to be 5.8 inches.
  • Options
    Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had my galaxy note for a year now and will never go to anything small again in fact if the rumoured Note 7" comes out I will get that
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    So what size you going for next? The Note 3 is rumored to be 5.8 inches.

I wonder where this will end. Little by little, one manufacturer or other - usually Samsung - dips their toes in the water with a phone just a little bit bigger than the last biggest. And still, they sell! Just what kind of ridiculously comical phone will folk be using in 2 or 3 years time?

I do suspect though, somewhere down the line, we'll start to see tablets - probably Android ones - with the phone facilities left in. While the main expectation would be for that usage to be mainly via a Bluetooth headset, the option would still be there to use it just like any other phone. Oh how I'll laugh the first time I see some dweeb with a 7+ inch tablet up against their ear! ;)
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    I do suspect though, somewhere down the line, we'll start to see tablets - probably Android ones - with the phone facilities left in. While the main expectation would be for that usage to be mainly via a Bluetooth headset, the option would still be there to use it just like any other phone. Oh how I'll laugh the first time I see some dweeb with a 7+ inch tablet up against their ear! ;)

The Samsung tablets have had that for a while:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a3SfHBJ5Jk

advertised as a feature on their homepage:
    http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxytab2/7.0/features.html?type=find
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think mine (One X) has a 4.7 screen, which is just about perfect for me. While I'm all for bigger screens, I did try a Note, but it just felt really unwieldy for everyday phone type use.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using the iPod touch I recieved for Xmas a lot in the last week. At first the screen seemed tiny (4 inches) compared to my galaxy note but now I'm getting used to it. It's nice that you can hold it easily in one hand. I think I could probably use a smaller sized phone again.
  • Options
    natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that a lot of it comes down to what you use your phone for. I know plenty of people (usually young) that rarely make calls.

If your usage is mostly looking and tapping on a screen, bigger really is better.

I was unsure when moving from a 4" Atrix 4G to the Nexus 4. This is definitely the most useful phone I have owned. As I suspected, I can no longer get to the furthest corners of the phone while using it one handed. However this hasn't been an issue. I just moved icons that I use regularly to easy positions.

I am now wondering how big a phone I would be happy with.

The Nexus 4 is probably the largest pocket wise. But it could be thicker (more battery life).

I once said that 2.7" screen was the biggest I would go, because a phone should be small and usable in one hand.

Until you give it a week, it's impossible to know what suits you.

Incidentally, I can now easily remote control PC's from my phone, which has made a big difference to my work life. I saved myself a trip back to the office the first day I had it. If a serial interface was available, I could potentially dump my laptop. Food for thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    To me a phone is a phone. The iPhone 5 is about as far as a phone should go in screen size in my opinion. If I want anything larger then a tablet, or a mini tablet is the way to go. For me the 7.9" sort of size is ideal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me a phone is a phone. The iPhone 5 is about as far as a phone should go in screen size in my opinion. If I want anything larger then a tablet, or a mini tablet is the way to go. For me the 7.9" sort of size is ideal.

Wow It must have been a great relief for you this year when Apple announced a phone and a tablet that matches your perfect sizes of 4" and 7.9" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really happy with the size of my S3's screen, in fact when I upgrade in a couple of years I think I might even be tempted to go slightly bigger!

:) Mark
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me 4.5 to 5 inches is optimum. I had a Note and liked that but the weight of that did for me and I jumped at the chance to get a Galaxy Nexus. I must admit though that the phone part of of a phone is mainly irrelevant to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I've always been amused by this 'perfect size for the standard size hands' stuff that comes out.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57560756-71/customer-claims-sprint-worker-said-his-fingers-too-fat-for-iphone/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title

If there is any truth there, its probably that they make more profit by palming off the S3 instead.

Those guys in the phone shops know what they are talking about and want the customers to leave the shop with the best phone possible not some 2007 throwback.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    So many people on here claiming 4" inches to be the perfect size (not 3.5 any more) based on what exactly there has been very few 4" phones except for the latest apple phone so what is everyone basing this on?

never heard 4" being perfect when the original galaxy s was around ... strange :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    So many people on here claiming 4" inches to be the perfect size (not 3.5 any more) based on what exactly there has been very few 4" phones except for the latest apple phone so what is everyone basing this on?

never heard 4" being perfect when the original galaxy s was around ... strange :rolleyes:

Its the width that's the issue for me, the bigger you make the screen the more uncomfortable the phone is to use with one hand. I had no issues with my iPhone 4 but the nexus 4 is more of an issue so I tend to use 2 hands for standard use which is fine 90% of the time but annoying the other 10%. If you could make the screen go right to the edge it would probably be fine, about 63mm (allowing 61mm for the screen which is the width of Nexus 4's screen) I reckon, its a personal choice though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its the width that's the issue for me, the bigger you make the screen the more uncomfortable the phone is to use with one hand. I had no issues with my iPhone 4 but the nexus 4 is more of an issue so I tend to use 2 hands for standard use which is fine 90% of the time but annoying the other 10%. If you could make the screen go right to the edge it would probably be fine, about 63mm (allowing 61mm for the screen which is the width of Nexus 4's screen) I reckon, its a personal choice though.

wasnt just referring to you seems a strange consensus that 4" is great all of a sudden as I said never heard this with the original galaxy.

In any event was is so great about using a phone with one hand exactly never quite understood the logic there. Having to stretch your thumb to unnatural positions when two hands is easier full stop. However when needed any phone even my note can be used one handed for making calls etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wasnt just referring to you seems a strange consensus that 4" is great all of a sudden as I said never heard this with the original galaxy.

In any event was is so great about using a phone with one hand exactly never quite understood the logic there. Having to stretch your thumb to unnatural positions when two hands is easier full stop. However when needed any phone even my note can be used one handed for making calls etc.

For me it's because I'm quite often texting while I have something in my other hand such as a newspaper, coffee, sandwich... If I want to use 2 hands to use my phone I may as well use my Nexus 7 as its as easy to use as my Nexus 4 with 2 hands.

Again it's very much a personal preference so there is no perfect screen size, I guess that's the beauty of choice. I would have went for the S3 mini if the spec wasn't so poor, I also would rather stock Android for fast and easy updates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does depend what you are doing. Web browsing, GMail, games and entertainment are the most important to me. Calls and texts the least.

I have had smartphones with 3.2 (Nokia 5800), 3.5 (3x ZTE Blades), 4 (Xperia X10), 4.2 (Xperia Arc) , 5.3 (Galaxy Note) and 4.65 (Galaxy Nexus) inches in the last three years. Bigger is better and I loved the Note but it was unwieldy when running for me. I can't see myself going above 5 inches again but I would never go below 4.5 inches as this would be to small for me.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I bet there are more phones 4 inch and under, than above.

It is interesting that samsung brought out the S3 mini, recognising the need for a premium phone at that size (although they failed to deliver).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I bet there are more phones 4 inch and under, than above.

It is interesting that samsung brought out the S3 mini, recognising the need for a premium phone at that size (although they failed to deliver).

outstanding post again of no relevance to my point in any way but great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For me it's because I'm quite often texting while I have something in my other hand such as a newspaper, coffee, sandwich... If I want to use 2 hands to use my phone I may as well use my Nexus 7 as its as easy to use as my Nexus 4 with 2 hands.

Again it's very much a personal preference so there is no perfect screen size, I guess that's the beauty of choice. I would have went for the S3 mini if the spec wasn't so poor, I also would rather stock Android for fast and easy updates.

I agree sometimes it is easier to use one hand and a note/2 not easiest with one hand although can be done if you set it up for on handed operation.

My point was it seems some people claim this is the most important factor in a phone which I find a little odd.