Options

Anyone else switched off ALL the soaps?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
Forum Member
✭✭
Sorry, this is a bit ranty, but 2014 IMO has been the single worst year ever in the history of British soap opera. Every soap I used to watch - Corrie, Emmerdale and Pobol y Cwm - has just plummeted so far, and so fast, that it's unbelievable.

CORRIE
Woeful writing and dull, unappealing storylines. A large number of miscastings, including the abominable Nazirs and the horrific Des Lennis. Stupidly killing Tina off and totally changing and ruining Rob's character. Hence losing Rob, a character who had settled in well and brought new life to both Tracy and Carla. A Fayemian pregnancy storyline announced. Unlikeable characters brought to the forefront. Just awful.

EASTENDERS
Not a show I really watch nowadays. The early days of DTC were the last time I watched and they were quite promising, but it quickly went downhill again. Total and utter Carter overkill. Axing the promising Spraggans. The tedious and over-complicated Lucy storyline. Sam Strike - the worst actor I have ever seen on EE. Expecting us to root for murderer Ronnie and pretend her killing Carl never happened. Poor Ronnie. *roll eyes* Nick Cotton's woefully predictable 'back from the dead' nonsense storyline. Linda raped by Dean to instigate a disgustingly cynical and sensationalist rape reveal and Who's The Daddy storyline on Christmas Day. Christmas Day, FFS!

EMMERDALE
A show that has been quietly sinking for about four years, but 2014 being the absolute worst. Terrible writing, terrible acting and terrible, terrible continuity. Sex, crime and nastiness. Sex, crime and nastiness. Sex, crime and nastiness. Sex, crime and nastiness. Sex, crime and nastiness. Sex, crime and nastiness. Never afraid to recyle the same old crap time and again, deluded Kate Oates is at least the greenest and best-looking soap boss. But that's pretty much all she's got going for her.

POBOL Y CWM
Very evidently has had its budget cut. Good characters and good acting, but patchy storylines. The bad ones are really bad. Increasingly childish and silly, and undoubtedly the worst continuity in the history of television. Even John Logie Baird himself baulks at it from his coffin.

I get told time and again that Hollyoaks is totally bonkers trash, even by people who watch it. People are making positive noises about Neighbours lately, but for me it's just too slow and saccharine. Home And Away is unrecognisable. Essentially it's about shallow trash and nothing more. Doctors is mortifyingly middle class and rather surreal.

All in all, I don't think British soaps have ever been this bad. In fact, 2014 is the first time in my whole life I've actually switched the whole lot off.

Is 2014 the poorest ever year for soap opera? 109 votes

Yes
32% 35 votes
No
26% 29 votes
Not the best year but not the poorest
24% 27 votes
A good year but not the best
7% 8 votes
Bran Flakes
9% 10 votes

Comments

• Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    Sorry, this is a bit ranty, but 2014 IMO has been the single worst year ever in the history of British soap opera. Every soap I used to watch - Corrie, Emmerdale and Pobol y Cwm - has just plummeted so far, and so fast, that it's unbelievable.

EASTENDERS
    Not a show I really watch nowadays. The early days of DTC were the last time I watched and they were quite promising, but it quickly went downhill again. Total and utter Carter overkill. Axing the promising Spraggans. The tedious and over-complicated Lucy storyline. Sam Strike - the worst actor I have ever seen on EE. Expecting us to root for murderer Ronnie and pretend her killing Carl never happened. Poor Ronnie. *roll eyes* Nick Cotton's woefully predictable 'back from the dead' nonsense storyline. Linda raped by Dean to instigate a disgustingly cynical and sensationalist rape reveal and Who's The Daddy storyline on Christmas Day. Christmas Day, FFS!

I thought you stopped watching during DTC early days?
    How did you know about the BIB? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    I thought you stopped watching during DTC early days?
    How did you know about the BIB? ;-)

I keep up with what's going on in EE because a lot of my friends watch it. Wouldn't want to feel left out, would I? :kitty:
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    Eastenders has had the best year by far of all the soaps. DTC has done wonders to transform it, bringing in the Carters, and creating other interesting characters like Charlie Cotton.

Hollyoaks has had its excellent moments, too, mainly the Sienna stuff and Maxine and Patrick. Just lately, though, it's got a bit ridiculous with too many twists and turns.

Coronation Street, it goes without saying, has been awful. I think the reason was that all the resources went into the Roy and Hayley storyline, which was done really well, meaning other storylines didn't have a chance to develop. Now it feels like the writers have lost all direction. A new producer is desperately needed to halt the alarming slide in quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders has had the best year by far of all the soaps. DTC has done wonders to transform it, bringing in the Carters, and creating other interesting characters like Charlie Cotton.

Hollyoaks has had its excellent moments, too, mainly the Sienna stuff and Maxine and Patrick. Just lately, though, it's got a bit ridiculous with too many twists and turns.

Coronation Street, it goes without saying, has been awful. I think the reason was that all the resources went into the Roy and Hayley storyline, which was done really well, meaning other storylines didn't have a chance to develop. Now it feels like the writers have lost all direction. A new producer is desperately needed to halt the alarming slide in quality.

100%!
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    People are making positive noises about Neighbours lately, but for me it's just too slow and saccharine.
    I think the pacing on Neighbours is just right after many years of it being very hit and miss. I also don't feel like the show is overtly saccharine at all, but I'll accept that's your opinion. Neighbours is down-to-earth, and nice, and has certainly been (what I would call) saccharine during Susan Bower's era with Santa In The Sky, or Unforgettable! It's dealt with some serious subjects this year that has given the characters a chance to be compassionate and nice. Nobody likes Neighbours when everyone is snarky and horrible all the time.

People complain when stories are wrapped up within 3 weeks, then complain when stories stretch over 2 months, while others complain that there's hardly any long running stories, but the moment you get a long running story, suddenly people feel it's too dragged out. This is just a general rant, not necessarily aimed at you, Cit.
  • Options
    stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Purely on the totty front alone 2014 has been catastrophic!
    Tina dead.
    Katie soon to pop it.
    Merecedes leaving.
    Lauren leaving soon.
    Boo hoo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    People complain when stories are wrapped up within 3 weeks, then complain when stories stretch over 2 months, while others complain that there's hardly any long running stories, but the moment you get a long running story, suddenly people feel it's too dragged out. This is just a general rant, not necessarily aimed at you, Cit.

No, I hear what you're saying Desch. Some strories should be longer than others, of course. Unfortunately, nine times out of ten, the soaps seem to pick the wrong strories to elongate, and so they just become tedious, whereas some of the more interesting stories get wrapped up too quickly.

Sorry to bang on about Emmerdale, but here's an example or two: Belle killed a friend by accident, came out of prison and is now suffering some form of PTSD and possibly schizophrenia as she is so weighed down by her immense guilt. Now that's a long-running story, and rightly so, yet there are still those who say it's dragged out. Whereas another story, involving Megan/Jai/Archie/the Spencers etc. has been going on for TWO YEARS and has no end in sight, despite the fact that no-one cares less and the characters involved are some of the most unlikeable in Emmerdale.

And just recently, Lawrence from Home Farm had a heart attack one day, and was prancing about the next like nothing happened!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stellers wrote: »
    Purely on the totty front alone 2014 has been catastrophic!
    Tina dead.
    Katie soon to pop it.
    Merecedes leaving.
    Lauren leaving soon.
    Boo hoo.

You're right! :D
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch HO till 2009ish time then stopped. This year while the World Cup was on and the schedules went out the window I missed most the soaps and even now Ive still not got back into them (ED, EE and Corrie) at all. I actually don't miss them that much, I might start watching again in the new year or if a decent storyline comes along
  • Options
    TellMeMoreTellMeMore Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will date the next poster who gets me Bran Flakes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TellMeMore wrote: »
    I will date the next poster who gets me Bran Flakes.

Hello, lover ;-) *Offers Bran Flakes*
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never switched them on!
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God for your thread Cit!!

I honestly thought I was going mad, I only watch Corrie and Emmerdale, gave up on EE years ago when it became Slater Square. But this year I'm not bothered if my once favourite soaps are on or not, terrible writing, horrendous acting, s/ls that start and finish nowhere, boring cr*p played out for what seems like years.

Corrie and it's heavy handed "comedy" is embarrassing, a trademark from The Hat, also from The Hat is the foisting on us of complete families whether they a) can act, or (b actually fit into soap. The Nazirs in Corrie and the Spencers in ED.

A definite overload, especially in ED of gangsters, scams, petty quarrels, violence and general inner city type behaviour. ED is a rural soap not set in the middle of a down at heel housing estate. Corrie is inner city, but no one ever goes there, or works there, they all have to live on one tiny terraced street and work two steps from home, ridiculous.

EastEnders btw is not typical of the real Eastend, where are the yuppies, the merchant bankers, actors, theatre directors, fashion designers? THAT is the real East End of today, not jellied eels and pints of bitter.

The writers and producers seem to live in a middle bubble world of their own making, having no idea what the viewers really want. They are just so arrogant to presume to tell us what we want and who we should love, i.e. Maurel, the Nazirs, Andrea etc etc etc.

And b r e a t h e
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank God for your thread Cit!!

I honestly thought I was going mad, I only watch Corrie and Emmerdale, gave up on EE years ago when it became Slater Square. But this year I'm not bothered if my once favourite soaps are on or not, terrible writing, horrendous acting, s/ls that start and finish nowhere, boring cr*p played out for what seems like years.

Corrie and it's heavy handed "comedy" is embarrassing, a trademark from The Hat, also from The Hat is the foisting on us of complete families whether they a) can act, or (b actually fit into soap. The Nazirs in Corrie and the Spencers in ED.

A definite overload, especially in ED of gangsters, scams, petty quarrels, violence and general inner city type behaviour. ED is a rural soap not set in the middle of a down at heel housing estate. Corrie is inner city, but no one ever goes there, or works there, they all have to live on one tiny terraced street and work two steps from home, ridiculous.

EastEnders btw is not typical of the real Eastend, where are the yuppies, the merchant bankers, actors, theatre directors, fashion designers? THAT is the real East End of today, not jellied eels and pints of bitter.

The writers and producers seem to live in a middle bubble world of their own making, having no idea what the viewers really want. They are just so arrogant to presume to tell us what we want and who we should love, i.e. Maurel, the Nazirs, Andrea etc etc etc.

And b r e a t h e

:D:D:D I knew you wouldn't let me down, dessie! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i like to record some of the soaps..i watch them at the weekends when im off..Love slouching down to watch them after one another :p
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member

EASTENDERS

I disagree with all of this, except for Nick Cotton. If they wanted to shock us, bring back Chrissie or something, someone with a bit more of an acting skill range, not John Altman, who acts out every scene as if it's some big joke.

The Lucy storyline, although tedious, has never been over-complicated. It's a murder investigation, it's bound to be tedious. The fact that it's been running low for most of the year makes it more exciting that it is now finally moving forward. Also, Sam Strike is certainly not a bad actor.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Given up with EE all together, i watch the odd one but it is still very poor IMO.
    Emmer I have almost given up on, I watch it sometimes, but everyone is annoying me as they do in EE
    I am still watching Corrie, it still makes me laugh.

I dont watch any others.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched EastEnders from 2007, 2011,12&13 were tragically bad, with 2013 being horrific! 2014 has been a huge turn around for the show! It's much better, with more going on, slightly better quality, better acting, MUCH better scripts, great new characters, utilising characters, and developing characters like Shirley and Carol realy well! However, there's still problems, and it's not as good as pre 2010 yet... The show still had a long way to go, starting with getting rid of awful deadwood like Kush and Aleks, who are both very pointless and bring ****all to the show, not to mention the WOEFUL Donna, who has possibly been the most pointless character to have ever featured on the show!

Coronation street I have also watched from 2007, it's really really really bad now tbh! The fans are agreeing and everything, EastEnders are doing A LOT better! Corrie has more long serving characters who the audience are familiar with, and that's probably the not think Corrie have over EastEnders! But EastEnders have plenty too! Corrie's written so badly these days, with forced and weak comedy, and very little excitement and drama.

Hollyoaks I don't think I could ever get into... Silly characters, very cringy, just trying to top one plot with another, severely bad writing, and way too OTT! It's a kiddie show IMO, and I'm 15, and have very little interest in it, because I can see that it's just so embarrassing these days!

Emmerdale I used to also love, and it's amazingly good/unmissable when they've got something big going on, but absolutely awful when they haven't, and that's because of the piss poor writing, and like you said same old shit... Sex, crime etc... And lots of very unlikable characters... Having said that though, I don't think Emmerdale have much deadwood in their cast! Every character gets some interesting stuff now and again, and the rest are great supporting characters, but it's definitely a soap I don't mind missing!:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Watched EastEnders from 2007, 2011,12&13 were tragically bad, with 2013 being horrific! 2014 has been a huge turn around for the show! It's much better, with more going on, slightly better quality, better acting, MUCH better scripts, great new characters, utilising characters, and developing characters like Shirley and Carol realy well! However, there's still problems, and it's not as good as pre 2010 yet... The show still had a long way to go, starting with getting rid of awful deadwood like Kush and Aleks, who are both very pointless and bring ****all to the show, not to mention the WOEFUL Donna, who has possibly been the most pointless character to have ever featured on the show!

Coronation street I have also watched from 2007, it's really really really bad now tbh! The fans are agreeing and everything, EastEnders are doing A LOT better! Corrie has more long serving characters who the audience are familiar with, and that's probably the not think Corrie have over EastEnders! But EastEnders have plenty too! Corrie's written so badly these days, with forced and weak comedy, and very little excitement and drama.

Hollyoaks I don't think I could ever get into... Silly characters, very cringy, just trying to top one plot with another, severely bad writing, and way too OTT! It's a kiddie show IMO, and I'm 15, and have very little interest in it, because I can see that it's just so embarrassing these days!

Emmerdale I used to also love, and it's amazingly good/unmissable when they've got something big going on, but absolutely awful when they haven't, and that's because of the piss poor writing, and like you said same old shit... Sex, crime etc... And lots of very unlikable characters... Having said that though, I don't think Emmerdale have much deadwood in their cast! Every character gets some interesting stuff now and again, and the rest are great supporting characters, but it's definitely a soap I don't mind missing!:p

Good post, lou! I'd have to disagree about Emmerdale though, I think there's quite a bit of deadwood in it! :blush:
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get where you're coming fro Cit. It's not been great has it really?

I can only really comment on the main three...

Corrie - Once my favourite soap, slowly declining in quality since 2005, had some great moments between 2010-2012 but quickly dissolved back into the rut it had been stuck in previously. There's always been certain characters that have made the show watchable for me but I've found myself frustrated at every single character in some capacity this year. I can't work out if it's the direction a lot of the actors are being given nowadays or whether it's their acting, but something just doesn't feel right. Liz, Gail, Deirdre, Eileen, Rita and Norris in particular all seem like completely different characters from a decade ago and not through development and continuity, they almost feel like caricatures of what they were.

EastEnders - Never been able to get into this but I got that fed up of feeling like I'm watching an inferior version of the programme with Coronation Street, I actually sat down and watched a weeks worth of episodes again last week to see if I could stomach it. I got through the episodes without falling asleep so I'll see it as progress. Some good acting, some good writing (mainly Darren Little, Rob Gittins) but some very corny dialogue and badly delivered lines too. Not keen on some of the characters either but I've tried various times to get into the show and been bored silly so actually quite surprised to give it some praise at all. Will keep watching and see how it goes.

Emmerdale - Probably the most consistent for me. Majorly improved on 2012 and the start of 2013, I like how more characters interact with one another now but the crime and police presence is starting to get boring beyond belief. Ross is a great character and Mike Parr is a great actor, but for God sake stop playing around with the character's development. That scene where he went up to the farm to demand money from Moira practically undid every bit of character development over the last year. The end to the Declan/Charity story after simmering all year has been a massive letdown as well but I'm intrigued by the DI Bails story (if there still is one? It's all gone quiet now it seems) and how Harriet may potentially link in as well. Also enjoying Belle's story and how they're forcing Aaron into a different situation.
  • Options
    sarah_shortsarah_short Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have stopped watching Oaks, which was fav soap at onetime.:(
    Corrie is poor but i think it will come good again.:)
    I'm not liking Emmerdale at all.:( Depends what happens early next for me.
    Enders is very hit and miss.

I can't remember there being a time when I felt so indifferent towards all the soaps.:(
    When they're good they make for a very pleasant distraction from everyday life, but when they're like they are now i feel i'm wasting a lot of valuble time, time which could be spent doing something else.
    I hope for improvements all round for next year.:)
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying all the soaps apart from Coronation Street. Kylie's "addiction" has happened so quickly it doesn't seem realistic. Les Dennis as a burglar who gets to live with his victim is just silly especially as David and Kylie put up with it. If someone burgled my relative I wouldn't want them in a relationship! I like Tony and Tracey's scenes though. Emmerdale is brilliant right now. I adore Ross Barton ♥ and the Robert, Aaron and Ross story is great. I'm preferring this Emmerdale compared with the Don Debbie Corleone days. Eastenders is OK. I'm not keen on the block storytelling though and the wedding week was so boring and frustrating to watch I did other things while it was on in the background mostly. I think the Carters are the best thing to happen to EE in a long time.

EDIT : I forgot Hollyoaks! It's OTT storytelling is good light hearted fun. There's nothing realistic about half of it but I don't mind it at all. The twincest story is crazy but well acted. Sienna is one crazy woman and well acted by Anna Passey. Patrick is a pantomime villain but he's good to watch. It's nothing like the other soaps. For a village it has so much going on but I still like it.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,315
    Forum Member
    For me, Eastenders is not in a strong position. The pacing and balance of character appearances needs to be addressed. However, I do feel that it's a show that is on the up. The problems can be fixed and I hope DTC takes on the feedback and makes adjustments next year.

The cast is certainly the best it's been in awhile, the writing has improved greatly. I would say they just need to stop with the hype and try to ensure that stories have great resolutions. It does feel with some stories that they get bored halfway through and so just end it suddenly, like for instance carols cancer and Phils shooting.

So my conclusion is that it could and should be better but I have the upmost faith that it will be much better in 2015.
  • Options
    stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    For me, Eastenders is not in a strong position. The pacing and balance of character appearances needs to be addressed. However, I do feel that it's a show that is on the up. The problems can be fixed and I hope DTC takes on the feedback and makes adjustments next year.

The cast is certainly the best it's been in awhile, the writing has improved greatly. I would say they just need to stop with the hype and try to ensure that stories have great resolutions. It does feel with some stories that they get bored halfway through and so just end it suddenly, like for instance carols cancer and Phils shooting.

So my conclusion is that it could and should be better but I have the upmost faith that it will be much better in 2015.

I agree about the cast.:)
    With a few exceptions it's very strong!
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »

Yes. The shooting of Phil was just so stupid. He would have been laid up for longer and would have aches and pains from being operated on. Carol's cancer seems to have been forgotten.