• rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There all the same , ban you for farting
    A bit of power and it goes right to there little heads
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One assumes that if you get banned then any further names you make also get banned?

Indeed. This is probably why the OP has been banned - I suspect they forgot to mask their IP while posting on one of their apparent 8 accounts and the mods found out.

The posting history may well have been as clean as a whistle, but if the mods identified multiple accounts from the same IP, it wouldn't matter.
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. This is probably why the OP has been banned - I suspect they forgot to mask their IP while posting on one of their apparent 8 accounts and the mods found out.

The posting history may well have been as clean as a whistle, but if the mods identified multiple accounts from the same IP, it wouldn't matter.
    That's a bit rough on people sharing a house & broadband line.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Complaining about a ban will get you banned again. Simples.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nigelbb wrote: »

Thats a point. How does that work?
  • incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nigelbb wrote: »

Yeah, I share a house & broadband with another DS user and we've never had any trouble. I wonder how that works. Perhaps they look at each case under individual merit, i.e. me & my partner have different posting styles and topics of interest so we're clearly two people. I dunno.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    incy wincy wrote: »
    Yeah, I share a house & broadband with another DS user and we've never had any trouble. I wonder how that works. Perhaps they look at each case under individual merit, i.e. me & my partner have different posting styles and topics of interest so we're clearly two people. I dunno.

I suspect thats it. If you and your housemate came to light at hte same times via your posts, or maybe even one of you, then you might both get a ban.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mods have more ways than just ip addresses to tell if you're one person or different people sharing a connection.
  • KB_netKB_net Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Step666 wrote: »
    Mods have more ways than just ip addresses to tell if you're one person or different people sharing a connection.

No they don't, even if they were using MAC addresses they're easy to change. IP bans will unfortunately only ban the next person to pick that ip from their ISP. They can watch users and they will eventually trip themselves up but it would just be a constant game of cat and mouse. With the UK's mostly dynamic IP's and routers where you can easily change the MAC address infact that's the same for any device its basically impossible to hand out a workable permanent ban. You could band a user right now and with 3 minutes they could have changed IP set up a new hotmail account and re registered. Then the owners/admin would have to wait for and watch.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    KB_net wrote: »
    No they don't, even if they were using MAC addresses they're easy to change. IP bans will unfortunately only ban the next person to pick that ip from their ISP. They can watch users and they will eventually trip themselves up but it would just be a constant game of cat and mouse. With the UK's mostly dynamic IP's and routers where you can easily change the MAC address infact that's the same for any device its basically impossible to hand out a workable permanent ban. You could band a user right now and with 3 minutes they could have changed IP set up a new hotmail account and re registered. Then the owners/admin would have to wait for and watch.

you'd have to be a bit of a dick to do that though wouldn't you.

MAC addresses are not visible over the net by the way. i run a forum with 50,000 users. it's trivial to spot duplicate accounts.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    you'd have to be a bit of a dick to do that though wouldn't hugh.

MAC addresses are not visible over the net by the way. i run a forum with 50,000 users. it's trivial to spot duplicate accounts.

I'm not Hugh.
    Forum Member
    I'm not Hugh.

I didn't say you were.

but more on this:

have you head of browser fingerprinting? https://panopticlick.eff.org/
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Damn, why didn't he/she come back. I thought we were going to have a real set-to there. Nothing like a good scrap to liven up a Monday afternoon Hahahaha
  • Darth-HabibDarth-Habib Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Damn, why didn't he/she come back. I thought we were going to have a real set-to there. Nothing like a good scrap to liven up a Monday afternoon Hahahaha

Android sucks.

Only thickos have apple phones.

Windows phone are so like 90s desktops. So slow.

Blackberry is better of as a food.

Symbian is the future.

That should start of a decent scrap.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    you'd have to be a bit of a dick to do that though wouldn't you.

Which forum is that? I moderate on xbox.com forums and Ubisoft community forums
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is OP that this is Digital Spy's forum, they can ban anyone for no reason what so ever, life is full of let downs, this is yours for today.

PJ
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »

No, they do.

IPs aren't the only evidence that one person may be using multiple accounts (and I'm not talking about post style or useragent).
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Ho! Ho! And he's gone again :D
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Ho! Ho! And he's gone again :D

was kb_net Hugh ? wasnt that a bit of a gender-neutral ID for him/her to use ?? :confused:
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    was kb_net Hugh ? wasnt that a bit of a gender-neutral ID for him/her to use ?? :confused:

I would think it was to be honest. Joined this month, only a few posts then banned.

Sure is a persistent pest!

EDIT:- Think this post from him gives it away...
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64056651&highlight=#post64056651
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not going to post to tell _hugh how the mods will know, but I can think of one way and I'm not talking about IP address or user agent. I don't think we should post it even if we do know. Let _hugh keep getting banned until he gives us creating new email addresses and goes elsewhere.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Android sucks.

Only thickos have apple phones.

Windows phone are so like 90s desktops. So slow.

Blackberry is better of as a food.

Symbian is the future.

That should start of a decent scrap.

You calling me a thicko?? Eh? EH??

Come on then....... COME ON!!!!!

:)
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they don't...
    Having been on the other side of the Mod/user divide, yes, they definitely do.
    Forum Member
    Of course it's Hugh. As will be the next person who says they aren't Hugh.