Peter Capaldis' Versatility

Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One thing that strikes me (and I've never really watched much of him before) is how big a range of emotions Peter convincingly portrayed in his face/voice (in just one episode):

"Anger" - many times
"Zombie" - when he appeared out of nowhere in the restaurant
"Confusion" - when puzzling over the face with the tramp
"recognition/realisation" - when viewing the tray he held up to the Droid
"sheepish guilt" - when initially (not) fessing up about where he got the coat
"giddy delight" - when realising he was scottish and so he can moan
"confusion" - most of the start of the episode
"squealing pain" - when a screwdriver lands in the wrong part of his anatomy
"impending dread" - when telling the droid he is likely to murder him
"curiosity" - when realising that no neither he or Clara placed the add
"triumphant" - when telling the boring droids from the past to shut up
"embarrassment" - when getting it wrong about who placed the advert

I've probably missed loads - but it just struck me how convincing he was at it all. I think I see why he is considered such a fine actor, I've been foolish to miss out till now.

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...I was only just raving about this today for the, urhm, consumer panel survey.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consumer Panel survey ??????

EDIT: Ahh, I just googled ......
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Intense awkwardness at the end when Clara was hugging him, then when he awkwardly offered to get coffee with her (provided he didn't buy or collect :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I just finished watching Deep Breath again (for the 4th time now), and I was marvelling at Peter's versatility - not just the range of emotions he can convey, but how subtly he can convey them, often with just the twitch of a few facial muscles. I remember Moffat, Smith and Tennant raving about John Hurt's ability to do this, and Capaldi has exactly the same skill, possibly moreso. What's more, he conveys ever-shifting amalgamations of emotions, sometimes conflicting ones. These always seem to supplement his scripted dialogue, acting in harmony with it but always providing additional depth and signs of what the Doctor is feeling. Some people have described his performance as cold, but it is actually full of emotion.

Part of me thinks the bubble should have burst by now, but I just keep getting more impressed.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's great but some of the line delivery was a bit iffy, especially early in the episode. It did feel like it was written for Matt rather than Peter. Maybe Moffat will have more of an idea of Peter's Doctor in later episodes.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think he's great but some of the line delivery was a bit iffy, especially early in the episode. It did feel like it was written for Matt rather than Peter. Maybe Moffat will have more of an idea of Peter's Doctor in later episodes.

Most of the dialogue was fairly Matt-like, but I guess it would probably work for David too.
    There was definite elements of other Doctors to my ears, whether that's coincidence, or writing, or Peter's style, or Peter deliberately trying to echo them, I don't know.

For some reason, the exchange:
    DOCTOR: Dormant.
    CLARA: How do you know?
    DOCTOR: I don't. I'm just hoping.
    Sounded very Tom Baker to my ears.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was a Matt Smith episode in Moffat's own words. :p 11 had lines which were specifically for 10. I know there's all this "generic Doctor" business, but each Doctor has their own material.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Children of Earth' sold Peter to me.
  • QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm guessing and almost certain that's due post-regeneration cook. Capaldi is not quite 12 yet, so 11 is still bubbling away under the surface.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    'Children of Earth' sold Peter to me.

For me it was as "The Angel, Islington" in "Neverwhere" back in '96 - but then I am an old git;-)
  • KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    One thing that strikes me (and I've never really watched much of him before) is how big a range of emotions Peter convincingly portrayed in his face/voice (in just one episode):

"Anger" - many times
    "Zombie" - when he appeared out of nowhere in the restaurant
    "Confusion" - when puzzling over the face with the tramp
    "recognition/realisation" - when viewing the tray he held up to the Droid
    "sheepish guilt" - when initially (not) fessing up about where he got the coat
    "giddy delight" - when realising he was scottish and so he can moan
    "confusion" - most of the start of the episode
    "squealing pain" - when a screwdriver lands in the wrong part of his anatomy
    "impending dread" - when telling the droid he is likely to murder him
    "curiosity" - when realising that no neither he or Clara placed the add
    "triumphant" - when telling the boring droids from the past to shut up
    "embarrassment" - when getting it wrong about who placed the advert

I've probably missed loads - but it just struck me how convincing he was at it all. I think I see why he is considered such a fine actor, I've been foolish to miss out till now.

Sounds like you just described a competent actor to me...
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was mesmerised by his hand and arm movements. When you watch it again you realise he put a lot into that role. I wonder if it was a natural part of this performance or part of the character. Those movements did make me think another, previous doctor was similar but I can't quite place who it was
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Most of the dialogue was fairly Matt-like, but I guess it would probably work for David too.
    There was definite elements of other Doctors to my ears, whether that's coincidence, or writing, or Peter's style, or Peter deliberately trying to echo them, I don't know.

For some reason, the exchange:

Sounded very Tom Baker to my ears.

There were a lot of Tom's lines and a few of Paddy's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    For me it was as "The Angel, Islington" in "Neverwhere" back in '96 - but then I am an old git;-)

Oh yes, me too - he was quite beautiful, moved so well, sang his song 'I'm in Heaven' with so much feeling. Wish this series could be repeated. I have the book, the video, the DVD - and they are all slightly different.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    The scene in the alley with the tramp was the best for me - right down to the twitching fingers.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The scene in the alley with the tramp was the best for me - right down to the twitching fingers.

It's a great scene.

Watching again, there are certain moments once he's calmed down where Peter's 'stillness' really struck me. The sublime exchange in the restaurant where he's just suddenly there; similarly when he appears at the table with the Whiskey and when we see him sitting in his chair in the TARDIS. He just kind of moves very deliberately as well.

There was much more to Matt than just one aspect, but his Tiggerish tendencies were there, wonderfully so IMO. This is a great contrast and I think it's going to work very well. More Eyore than Tigger? ;-)
  • xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great scene.

Watching again, there are certain moments once he's calmed down where Peter's 'stillness' really struck me. The sublime exchange in the restaurant where he's just suddenly there; similarly when he appears at the table with the Whiskey and when we see him sitting in his chair in the TARDIS. He just kind of moves very deliberately as well.

There was much more to Matt than just one aspect, but his Tiggerish tendencies were there, wonderfully so IMO. This is a great contrast and I think it's going to work very well. More Eyore than Tigger? ;-)
    Totally agree. That's where you can tell the quality of an actor without saying or doing anything but still putting over a powerful scene. Going off topic I remember Al Pacino doing just that with a silent scream in Godfather 3.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »

Me too - I LOVED Neverwhere, especially Peter's performance as Islington.....
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing and almost certain that's due post-regeneration cook. Capaldi is not quite 12 yet, so 11 is still bubbling away under the surface.

Yes, just as 11 was still partially talking like 10 in The Eleventh Hour. ('You've had some cowboys in here...')