Buying an iPhone 6 without contract

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey guys -

Stupid question I'm sure, but I don't do contracts and have always gone pay as you go, or short term packages. I'm thinking of getting my first iPhone, now the 6 is out, and found it real hard to find how you can just go and buy one.

Saw you can on the Apple site, but there's a long wait time. Saw you can get them on Amazon, but they seem to be hugely overpriced when compared to the Apple site.

Any help? For instance, there's an Apple store in York, but am I being a mug buying one from there?

Thanks!

Comments

• BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Any help? For instance, there's an Apple store in York, but am I being a mug buying one from there?
    !
    Not at all - except that some people are bound to pop up saying that iPhones are overpriced!:)

Apple stores sell at the price on their website - and ARE always totally network unlocked. As stocks are low you may have to get an estimate from the store of a date they will have stock in. No-one else is likely to have stock (or will be offering a discount) with current demand levels!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Not at all - except that some people are bound to pop up saying that iPhones are overpriced!:)

Apple stores sell at the price on their website - and ARE always totally unlocked. As stocks are low you may have to get and estimate from the store of a date they will have stock in. No-one else is likely to have stock (or will be offering a discount) with current demand levels!

Super! Then that's what I'll do. Many thanks!
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys -

Stupid question I'm sure, but I don't do contracts and have always gone pay as you go, or short term packages. I'm thinking of getting my first iPhone, now the 6 is out, and found it real hard to find how you can just go and buy one.

Saw you can on the Apple site, but there's a long wait time. Saw you can get them on Amazon, but they seem to be hugely overpriced when compared to the Apple site.

Thanks!

You can reserve them from this link which should be back online at around midnight. If you check just after midnight you should be able to reserve the model you want.

You then just turn up at the Apple store at the agreed pickup time.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    You could keep trying this link to reserve one:

https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/GB/en_GB/reserve/iPhone/availability

Changes throughout the day.....
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    The reservation links work well, I reserved a 16GB last week for Friday,. Over the weekend I decided I would rather have 64GB so reserved that last night (midnight) and picked it up today. Returned the 16GB and got the 64GB all in one transaction in under 10 minutes.

To add, there is also a stock checker, made by someone on McRumors which shows all stock in all stores at a single glance:

http://iphone6stockchecker.com
  • jamllewjamllew Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Hey guys -

Thanks!

Hi,

There isn't actually an Apple store in York. It does look like one but it's a Stormfront, who are official Apple stockists, but I am pretty sure they don't sell iphones or at least they didn't. I would check first but your nearest Apple store would be in Leeds.
  • TheRottweilerTheRottweiler Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Got the one I want in Norwich but there's no reserve option for that store...
    Why not ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamllew wrote: »
    Hi,

There isn't actually an Apple store in York. It does look like one but it's a Stormfront, who are official Apple stockists, but I am pretty sure they don't sell iphones or at least they didn't. I would check first but your nearest Apple store would be in Leeds.

Ah right. Yes, that is what I was thinking was the Apple Store. A trip to Dirty Leeds may be in order then! :D
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Got the one I want in Norwich but there's no reserve option for that store...
    Why not ?

Possibly because Apple decided not to?

It takes up a lot of staff to deal with it, so staff numbers and store size are probably considerations.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The easy way: Order one online. Wait until it turns up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Try giffgaff.They sell them unlocked with free next day delivery.You can pay in pull or monthly without a airtime contract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neil402003 wrote: »
    Try giffgaff.They sell them unlocked with free next day delivery.You can pay in pull or monthly without a airtime contract.

Yeah, that looks perfect for me, but as expected, completely sold out.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Yeah, that looks perfect for me, but as expected, completely sold out.
    They had some up until yesterday lunchtime - hopefully more will come in before too long.