Options

Why Am I getting New Equipment?

spanglystevespanglysteve Posts: 1,463
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi Silly question really.

I've just moved house and transferred my virgin package with me. They told me to take my box with me, but they will actually be replacing it as I'm moving to a different area (From glasgow to London).

I dont really get it, I thought all the boxes were the same now that the network is as one?

Stephen

Comments

• Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    The network isn't one - yet
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even so, the technology is fundamentally the same - send a bunch of data down a coax cable. The modulation generally tends to be the same - QAM.

Only potential difference I can see is the use of DOCSIS 1/2 vs EuroDOCSIS 1/2. Most of the boxes should be able to handle both - after all cable modems seem to be fairly universal - the VM 255 (or NTL 250) don't have separate Telewest and NTL versions. Also the V+ box is the same for everywhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Even so, the technology is fundamentally the same - send a bunch of data down a coax cable. The modulation generally tends to be the same - QAM.

Only potential difference I can see is the use of DOCSIS 1/2 vs EuroDOCSIS 1/2. Most of the boxes should be able to handle both - after all cable modems seem to be fairly universal - the VM 255 (or NTL 250) don't have separate Telewest and NTL versions. Also the V+ box is the same for everywhere.

I'm affraid your wrong. Equipment is set up to work on a certain network and area only. If I took a modem from Sheffield to Peterborough, it would not work. Same goes for stb's and v+ boxes.
  • Options
    REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i moved from Glasgow to East Kilbride and took my box's with me so i could have all service's till last minute,connected the day i moved in(disconnected on moving day/reconnected the next),give them plenty of notice,but i was from ex-ntl moving to ex-telewest,which i did not know until i moved,so it meant completely different box's,a v+ and vbox.

Every went fine and the KIND chap who installed even offered to take the box's away,he must have though we were dafty's who never bothered to tell virgin we took our box's with us instead of leaving them for new home owners,when he took them,after they were boxed up,i asked his to write a small couple of line's to that effect and sign,which he did,after a couple of month's ,a knock at the door from a senior tech guy looking for box's,after explaining to him what happened he got very flusterd and blurted out' the installer never marked them as being returned',he wasn't pleased to say the least,after telling him i got hand written receipt and i'll go and get it,he said 'don't bother i'll f#cken see him's so i'd say to anyone reading this always get receipt's for box's ,as you already know there is a ready made black market for box's, especially as virgin don't switch off the cable signal to unsubscribed houses,that make a chipped box a very saleable item,one very major flaw in this country,let's hope these so called any time soon mythical viewing card's with pirate proof tech EVENTUALLY arrive one day,i think they announced the card's 6 month's ago to be popping through the door anytime,i can't blame them for try to scare people of piracy,i just hope it's not another 'by the time we get them 'were we live' there's about 8 month's out of date',as far as chipped box's are concerned,after all it's us mug's who are paying for always connected cable line's , t.v. stb's and chipped modem's,bit of a joke for a high tech company.
  • Options
    REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Silly question really.

I've just moved house and transferred my virgin package with me. They told me to take my box with me, but they will actually be replacing it as I'm moving to a different area (From glasgow to London).

I dont really get it, I thought all the boxes were the same now that the network is as one?

Stephen

Your told to take your equipment with you so you can have all service's till last minute,and you are liable if it's not returned to them,this is because piracy of box's is massive.

If they don't pick up your box in time and you leave it,then expect a large bill,your box's your property ,your responsibility

I wouldn't trust anyone with returning 'my' box's ,not new tenant's not even virgin TBH ,from experience,simple as that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Ryrazzer is right. The equipment is different from location to location, even places within quite close proximity. The equipment in Croydon is different to the equipment in Haringey for example, yet its in the same city.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    REDBUS wrote: »
    Your told to take your equipment with you so you can have all service's till last minute,and you are liable if it's not returned to them,this is because piracy of box's is massive.

If they don't pick up your box in time and you leave it,then expect a large bill,your box's your property ,your responsibility

I wouldn't trust anyone with returning 'my' box's ,not new tenant's not even virgin TBH ,from experience,simple as that.

That's lucky then as you're meant to send the box back yourself anyway.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I moved (just before the housing crash) from one house to another located a few streets away. I took a V+ box and cable modem with me, but required an engineer's visit as some of the cables and junction boxes had been removed by the previous owner.

The main part of the work was to re-install the wiring and outlets, the modem worked first time although the V+ box needed resetting "down the wire".

There is a small green cabinet in my street and a couple of large cabinets further away along a main road. I'm not sure what exactly these do, are they some kind of local "hub"?
    Is this the point where signals are transferred from fibre-optic to copper?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    I moved (just before the housing crash) from one house to another located a few streets away. I took a V+ box and cable modem with me, but required an engineer's visit as some of the cables and junction boxes had been removed by the previous owner.

The main part of the work was to re-install the wiring and outlets, the modem worked first time although the V+ box needed resetting "down the wire".

There is a small green cabinet in my street and a couple of large cabinets further away along a main road. I'm not sure what exactly these do, are they some kind of local "hub"?
    Is this the point where signals are transferred from fibre-optic to copper?

Yeah these are the cabs that the VM network travels across.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JC-VW wrote: »
    Yeah these are the cabs that the VM network travels across.

I know that, I saw them being installed in the late 90s. My point about the local "hub" was whether the consumer equipment is "locked" to a particular cabinet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that, I saw them being installed in the late 90s. My point about the local "hub" was whether the consumer equipment is "locked" to a particular cabinet?

No it's not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK - so in my scenario, how would the system know when I move from house A to house B in the same area?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most likely the mac address.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Alright cool guy, chill. No.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - so in my scenario, how would the system know when I move from house A to house B in the same area?

It wouldn't. It would just work and vm would be none the wiser.