Options

3D TV's

KunashKunash Posts: 1,144
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, i was looking in Curry's yesterday at the 3D tv's. I am interested in buying one. Through the glasses the picture looks great (panasonic on display),

i do understand that to get the 3D effect you need to wear the glasses, but when you are not watching a 3D film, is there a setting on the TV to watch in normal HD?

thanks

also, i understand there are 2 types of glasses, active and passive. are the active ones better?

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    Kunash wrote: »
    Hi, i was looking in Curry's yesterday at the 3D tv's. I am interested in buying one. Through the glasses the picture looks great (panasonic on display),

i do understand that to get the 3D effect you need to wear the glasses, but when you are not watching a 3D film, is there a setting on the TV to watch in normal HD?

Of course, the set will be used most of the time on normal TV - in fact there's a button to enable 3D, rather than the other way round.

also, i understand there are 2 types of glasses, active and passive. are the active ones better?

Yes, the passive glasses are a poorer system (used in pubs and cinemas for the cheap price) - the better sets use active glasses.
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just bought a new TV. For what I paid I could have got a 3D set but what's the point, it's a fad that will die in the long run. I couldn't see the point of donning a pair of glasses to watch TV when I don't wear a pair in the first place.
  • Options
    PhilT1808PhilT1808 Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just bought a new TV. For what I paid I could have got a 3D set but what's the point, it's a fad that will die in the long run. I couldn't see the point of donning a pair of glasses to watch TV when I don't wear a pair in the first place.

I saw it the other way. If I was paying for a new TV then I might as well spend a little extra and get the 3D. Then again - I watch a lot of sport and that's great in 3D.
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the passive glasses are a poorer system (used in pubs and cinemas for the cheap price) - the better sets use active glasses.

Passive glasses aren't inherently poorer - at least not in cinema.

In a 3D cinema a circular polariser is placed in front of the projector lens that alternates between clockwise and anti-clockwise polarisation, thus enabling the use of cheap filter glasses. The polariser can be removed to show 2D content.

On a 3D TV that uses passive polarisation the polariser has to be built into the screen, so 2D picture quality is compromised.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    3dtv's are just fast 2d tv's. So yes there is no need to do anything special to watch normal tv.
    and yes passive glasses work great, it is just that flat panel tech does not use them. Fake 3d color code glasses for dvd and such however are garbage.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just bought a new TV. For what I paid I could have got a 3D set but what's the point, it's a fad that will die in the long run.
    And you know this - how, exactly?

Prediction is very hard, especially about the future, but I'm fairly confident that you are wrong.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a look at a 3D demo when I was in John Lewis at the weekend and can say that I wasn't overly impressed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I guess that just about wraps it up for 3D then.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    And you know this - how, exactly?

Prediction is very hard, especially about the future, but I'm fairly confident that you are wrong.

I'm getting a bad feeling though - with some of the film studios signing up to exclusivity deals with TV manufacturers.

Avatar for example will only be available to buy in 3D to owners of Panasonic 3D TVs until around 2012. I think a similar excusivity deal exists for Alice in Wonderland.

Restricting a films distribution like this will only serve to stifle the uptake for 3D and is essentially introducing a pseudo format war.
  • Options
    PhilT1808PhilT1808 Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    I'm getting a bad feeling though - with some of the film studios signing up to exclusivity deals with TV manufacturers.

Avatar for example will only be available to buy in 3D to owners of Panasonic 3D TVs until around 2012. I think a similar excusivity deal exists for Alice in Wonderland.

Restricting a films distribution like this will only serve to stifle the uptake for 3D and is essentially introducing a pseudo format war.

I agree. I think it's a dangeous game that's being played and once again consumers are losing out. There aren't enough titles available in 3D as it is let alone making some unavailable to certain tv owners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eh, so far only a few 3d tvs are worth much anyways, the lcds are still too slow and lose resolution. Panasonic having the best display for 3dtv.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Alice is out in stores now

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/17197631/Alice-In-Wonderland-3D/Product.html?searchstring=alice+in+wonderland&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Avatar for example will only be available to buy in 3D to owners of Panasonic 3D TVs until around 2012.
    I'll be astonished if the Avatar exclusivity deal lasts that long, and very surprised if there are any exclusivity deals at all in another few months.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry - yes Alice in Wonderland is being bundled with Sony packages - but isnt exclusive to them it seems.
  • Options
    KOP1975KOP1975 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avatar and Alice will be in 3D on Sky this month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will be going back to currys on thursday to look at the panasonic Tv again. i am wondering - what channel numbers do sky show 3D films / sports on pls? i cant see any on my box

i looked for avatar on play.com but couldnt see it. if i did buy a panasonic, how would i buy avatar on 3D? or does it come with the TV

i thought the avatar 3D picture was amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Full resolution 3d is only on bluray, broadcast is 1/2 resolution.
    I'm sure the sales guy will be more than happy to help you get avatar if it comes with the tv.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will be going back to currys on thursday to look at the panasonic Tv again. i am wondering - what channel numbers do sky show 3D films / sports on pls? i cant see any on my box

Sky 3D broadcasts on channel 217

You need Sky World + HD to view it.
  • Options
    KOP1975KOP1975 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i looked for avatar on play.com but couldnt see it. if i did buy a panasonic, how would i buy avatar on 3D? or does it come with the TV

i thought the avatar 3D picture was amazing.

It does......ish.
    Once you buy the TV you have to go to the panasonic website and download a form, attatch your receipt and send off. They will send you Avatar, Ice Age 3 and 2 other movies (names escape me) on 3D DVD.

I done mine about 2 weeks so hopefully it wont be too long.
    It does say it takes up to 45 days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what sort of films / sports do they show on the 1 and only sky 3D channel?

i had a quick look over the next week, and i notice they dont show any films, but show some football, which was previously shown a day or two earlier on HD.

maybe they show some 3D films on box office. in time more
    3D channels will come I guess
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

the point is,a 3dtv is also a brilliant 2d hdtv as most 3dtv,s are normally the manufactures high end sets so youve got the 3d functionality when you want to use it but probably for the most part youll watch in 2d hd but for the same price or similiar why wouldnt you go for a 3d set
  • Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do show films on 217 - bolt, cloudy with a chance of meatballs, coraline, Garfield (pay per view), Christmas Carol (pay per view), monsters vs aliens, my bloody valentine etc. have all been shown recently (or will be). And some live sports, - premiership football, England rugby matches, ryder cup have all been shown live in 3d.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am looking through sky box office films, via the sky box, - like christmas carol. I am pressing 'information', but i cannot see any mention of the film being shown in 3D.

are there any box office films being shown in 3D today? does it say on the information page that it is in 3D.
  • Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3D programs are only shown on channel 217. Look at that channel, not any of the movie channels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    KOP1975 wrote: »
    It does......ish.
    Once you buy the TV you have to go to the panasonic website and download a form, attatch your receipt and send off. They will send you Avatar, Ice Age 3 and 2 other movies (names escape me) on 3D DVD.

I done mine about 2 weeks so hopefully it wont be too long.
    It does say it takes up to 45 days.
    Is this the offer-

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Blu-ray+Recorders+%26+Players/Promotions/Relive+Avatar+on+Blu-ray+in+3D+-+Exclusively+from+Panasonic+/6352490/index.html