Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 18)

Comments

• Options
    Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    might have been cantona07 but it might have been someone else said they thought stephen ireland would be a terrific signing a few months ago.
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frost wrote: »
    I'm asking as I am genuinely curious, not just trying to be a dick.

I see you regularly champion the likes of Bellamy, Barton and a hots of other mediocre players that are nowhere near good enough for us as ones you would like us to sign, but players like Messi "wouldnt do all that much" for you.

Why?

Surely you would have to look at the motivation behind any signing.

We know, now, that anyone we sign we do so because the greatest manager in football has identified them as being someone who would improve his squad of players and add something that we don't already have yet need to win trophies.

If we started signing everyone simply because we could, it wouldn't be the same. Signing someone based on our desire to prove how big our cheque book is would not do much for me either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davey84 wrote: »
    might have been cantona07 but it might have been someone else said they thought stephen ireland would be a terrific signing a few months ago.

to be fair, some people do actually look at the talents the player has and try and imagine how their strengths could be used to the advantage to improve the current first team squad structure that we have at the club.

Other's just think 'he'll be good' and think themselves knowledgeable and tactical masters because they manage to formulate an idea that it'd be good to have Messi or Ronaldo playing for us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    to be fair, some people do actually look at the talents the player has and try and imagine how their strengths could be used to the advantage to improve the current first team squad structure that we have at the club.

Other's just think 'he'll be good' and think themselves knowledgeable and tactical masters because they manage to formulate an idea that it'd be good to have Messi or Ronaldo playing for us.

yes i know but some players mentioned are worse than what we have already got and would offer very little to the team.

What exactly would bellamy, barton or ireland offer our team? apart from sit in the reserves on big ridiculous wages
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I'm asking as I am genuinely curious, not just trying to be a dick.

I see you regularly champion the likes of Bellamy, Barton and a hots of other mediocre players that are nowhere near good enough for us as ones you would like us to sign, but players like Messi "wouldnt do all that much" for you.

Why?

Because its just not what we do. We (in the most part) take players and make them superstars, i like that about us. In order to sign messi we would have to obliterate every transfer record and wages known to football. We would also know he was only here for the cash. Im happy to leave that to city tbh. All a signing like that would do is show we have more money, nothing else. If we had that sort of cash we could strengthen properly in a couple of areas rather than a marquee signing.

However id love to see a player with messis ability at united, but thats a different matter. id want us to do it in the same way as we did with ronnie. I much prefer seeing us buy a £12m player and watch him turn into an £80m player rather than buy him as an £80m player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes i know but some players mentioned are worse than what we have already got and would offer very little to the team.

What exactly would bellamy, barton or ireland offer our team? apart from sit in the reserves on big ridiculous wages

Strength in depth? Better rotation options?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Strength in depth? Better rotation options?

we got enough strength and depth, we just need a bit of extra quality. No point having three players who will not play many matches each on £75-90k a week
  • Options
    Forum Member

Those were 3 players we were discussing at various times. Yes i said Ireland was a good potential signing a year ago, because he was. He had been citys best player the previous season but was being discarded because he wasnt a big enough name.

Its not always about how good a player is, its how good he could be with us under our manager.

Bellamy was arguably citys best player last season. yes i believe he woulh have enhanced our squad for £6m.

Im not saying fill the squad with these players but at the point of discussion i will offer an opinion on an individual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and these were 3 unprofessional players on completely ridiculous wages which far exceeds their talent. maybe we also need to consider the potential negative affect in changing room
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and these were 3 unprofessional players on completely ridiculous wages which far exceeds their talent. maybe we also need to consider the potential negative affect in changing room

yes i know and maybe that is one of the reasons why they wouldnt have been considered but we have the best man managers in the world so i am sure he would look beyond the headlines and decide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IMO we have enough rotational players. i would like a couple more 1st teamers. ie rio, vidic, evra, nani, rooney

I don't mean messi, iniesta. I mean realistic players like pastore, sneijder, de rossi etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    btw, u watching SPOTY tonight? i made money last year on giggs. This year I'm thinking of laying mccoy at very low odds of 1.5's. what do u think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i made my money on giggs too. id like to see mccoy win it but from a betting point of view there isnt much i fancy just now, i'll see if theres any movement closer to the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been thinking of laying a huge load on Tom Daley for a while now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been thinking of laying a huge load on Tom Daley for a while now.

well he has odds of 140 to win....so it will cost you about 140 quid to win 1 pound if u lay him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooossshhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've actually gone for a McCoy/Daley 1/2
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Because its just not what we do. We (in the most part) take players and make them superstars, i like that about us. In order to sign messi we would have to obliterate every transfer record and wages known to football. We would also know he was only here for the cash. Im happy to leave that to city tbh. All a signing like that would do is show we have more money, nothing else. If we had that sort of cash we could strengthen properly in a couple of areas rather than a marquee signing.

Nothing else? Really? signing Messi would do nothing at all other than show we have money?
    However id love to see a player with messis ability at united, but thats a different matter. id want us to do it in the same way as we did with ronnie. I much prefer seeing us buy a £12m player and watch him turn into an £80m player rather than buy him as an £80m player.

All of this is all very well, but I think it misses the point. Would the likes of Bellamy, Ireland, Barton etc be cheaper than Messi (not that we'd go for or get him of course), Ribery, Lahm etc..? Of course they would, but they are also infinitely poorer, why hope we go for those type of players over better ones just because they are cheaper.

Being fiscally responsible is great, but if it loads the team with average players then it isnt a good long term strategy as the team will do worse each season and make less money. Sometimes you have to push the boat out to get the good players even if you could buy three Barton's for their price tag.

Now personally I think we need to improve our scouting network, and do a better job at signing these good players when they are available for a few hundred thousand at their original club, but that is another story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nothing else? Really? signing Messi would do nothing at all other than show we have money?

All of this is all very well, but I think it misses the point. Would the likes of Bellamy, Ireland, Barton etc be cheaper than Messi (not that we'd go for or get him of course), Ribery, Lahm etc..? Of course they would, but they are also infinitely poorer, why hope we go for those type of players over better ones just because they are cheaper.

Being fiscally responsible is great, but if it loads the team with average players then it isnt a good long term strategy as the team will do worse each season and make less money. Sometimes you have to push the boat out to get the good players even if you could buy three Barton's for their price tag.

Now personally I think we need to improve our scouting network, and do a better job at signing these good players when they are available for a few hundred thousand at their original club, but that is another story.

You are quoting me out of context a little tbh. I wouldnt sign messi for the reasons given but that isnt to say i wouldnt spend big on the right players. Ribery could be a decent buy,id have taken punts on robben and vdv too when they were available.

its different markets really, im not saying dont buy ribery sign belllamy, what im saying is if we are looking to add to the squad there are options out there if we have decided not to spend big money for whatever reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine buying Messi and it not working? Berbatov gets enough stick for his price tag. It would be Garry Birtles X 1000.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    imagine signing messi and him getting injured!

i genuinely cant understand anyone who would contemplate a bid for him tbh
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparantly we want Zenit St Petersburgs Danny to add some spark to our midfield he is rated at £15 million - according to The Daily Star Sunday.

Also we are apparantly tracking Italy leftback Domenico Criscito over doubts about Patrice Evras future - he is rated at £12.5million and plays for Genoa and is rated one of the best Serie A defenders - according to The NOTW.

Errrrr... what are the doubts about Evra's future?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely you would have to look at the motivation behind any signing.

We know, now, that anyone we sign we do so because the greatest manager in football has identified them as being someone who would improve his squad of players and add something that we don't already have yet need to win trophies.

If we started signing everyone simply because we could, it wouldn't be the same. Signing someone based on our desire to prove how big our cheque book is would not do much for me either.

Been meaning to say for a while, and you will be glad to know (or maybe not :)) that I finally agree with you on this point. Funnily enough, it's the minor miracles he performed last season and what he is doing this season rather than just the trophies beforehand that has confirmed this for me.

And today he's even outlasted Sir Matt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'll go in for another two or three years yet.

We'll sign in January, I'm sure. Rodwell looks a good bet with Everton not doing so great. I think £17m should be enough there. Scott Parker maybe given West Ham's position. Ashley Young too.

None cup-tied, none playing for sides doing particularly well now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bellamy would have offered a lot. Last time I saw Barton he had a terrific game, but most other times he's been pish. Never fancied Ireland. But the truth is, last season and early this when we were struggling, especially in midfield, there was a huge tendency to fantasy-transfer players who seemed to be performing elsewhere.

Talking off fantasy-transfers, Becks is here getting some award off Bobby Charlton today isn't he? ;)
This discussion has been closed.