Would you have domestic staff? Do you employ any?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    We don't have a cleaner as such, but my landlady comes and cleans the communal areas every week. It's very nice because I create more than enough mess in my own room.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tombstone wrote: »
    I have a cleaner who is about £15 per hour.

With money like that to be made it's amazing that there are still people unemployed.

Of course I'm sure all of these cleaners declare their earnings to the tax man... :rolleyes:

If someone has several houses they clean and does, say, 4 hours a day at £15 an hour (tax free!) then that's a fairly decent income.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I would love someone to do my ironing. I hate ironing.

Me too. I have a pile as high as Ben Nevis. Thing is, by the time I've got in from the office and made and ate dinner, it's usually about 9pm and I really can't be bothered to start housework. I usually set aside the weekend for housework but if I go away, it builds up.

My brother has a cleaner in twice a week, but my SIL makes it a bit pointless, as she wants the place to be clutter-free (despite my two nephews leaving the place like a tip usually!) before the cleaner gets there!

I have some Uni friends who have a nanny daily, a separate cleaner once per week, and a gardner who's in once per week during summer and once per month over the winter.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    With money like that to be made it's amazing that there are still people unemployed.

Of course I'm sure all of these cleaners declare their earnings to the tax man... :rolleyes:

If someone has several houses they clean and does, say, 4 hours a day at £15 an hour (tax free!) then that's a fairly decent income.

I didn't realise it was so cheap, TBH! :o I'd assumed they were like £40 an hour!

Might get one to do my ironing at that price!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why are you assuming all cleaners don't declare their income? A lot of them work through agencies where they have to declare earnings. Some will, some won't, as in many service areas.
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    I wouldnt have domestic staff.
    It sounds like you are pretentious.
    Ive got a family member who does get a cleaner in but its not for me.
    I'd rather clean my own house.
    And ive told my family member i think she has delusions of grandeur.
    Seriously.....she works in ASDA.
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    For all the folks on here who do do use the service of a cleaner, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay ?

We pay £10 per hour. She was advertising at less (and started at less) but we are a bit crap and she is fabulous so we gave her a pay rise after the trial period.
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

Its an ok income, but your cleaning peoples bogs all day every day......
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its an ok income, but your cleaning peoples bogs all day every day......

Still better than a lot of jobs people do for the minimum wage.
  • adamandadamand Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Have a cleaner. Would love a housekeeper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell you what, the lady who picks up your ironing and drops it off, drives a better car (some kind of sports model) than most if not all, of her clients!

Shes raking it in
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had someone come in last year to do my garden.

I felt quite decadent! ;)
  • Sensual LettuceSensual Lettuce Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to employ a cleaner if I could afford it. In the future when I have a good job and earn decent money in my own place ;) I would actually hire someone to do the housework, washing, ironing and maybe even abit of cooking. Not that I can't do any of that, I would rather be lazy and just pay someone else to do it :p

I would be an excellent employer too. I would also be a friend and establish a relationship too and make them feel valued and appreiciated :p And I'll even pay £7 or so an hour :p

Or I might just pay my mum to do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i could afford one 'dam right i would.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mum was put into " service" as a girl as she was considered to frail for the Jute Mills in Dundee and the tales she recounted were very harrowing indeed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Yes we have a cleaner- both work full time jobs - she comes round once a week for 4 hours - £9 an hour and also does the ironing. She is great, when we go on hols or a long weekend she will move her day so she can also feed the cats!! We give her a good bonus every Christmas. We also have a dry cleaning service - every once in a while the dry cleaner will come round pick up and drop off the dry cleaning.

We have friends who live in South Africa and their maid lives in the annex and they also pay for her sons' education.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a window cleaner and a gardener. Wouldn't ever employ anyone to work inside the house (cleaner/housekeeper etc) as I don't like the idea of someone I don't know invading my private space.
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    jemimabond wrote: »
    Tell you what, the lady who picks up your ironing and drops it off, drives a better car (some kind of sports model) than most if not all, of her clients!

Shes raking it in

And has her face blanked out on My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.