Universal Credit a tool to exploit the working poor?

1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So when UC is rolled out it appears there could be a website listing claimants and their availability for work (weather they are employed or not). The employer could then book the UC claimants for short term work and at short notice.

and if this dosent bother you.....

" UniversalCredit: Activities that could b
imposed when in employment, including
Psychological Fundamentalism"

http://refuted.org.uk/2015/04/21/dwpdigitaloppression/

Comments

• GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1TrueNorth wrote: »
    So when UC is rolled out it appears there could be a website listing claimants and their availability for work (weather they are employed or not). The employer could then book the UC claimants for short term work and at short notice.

What the hell Is 'Psychological Fundamentalism'?
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »

A tautology?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UC is as disgusting an invention as anything in the dark history of England.

It's like something Charles Dickens would have written about.

It's come from a sick sick mind.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Being anywhere IDS?
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh just bloody go all the way and introduce universal unemployment contracts .....
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    1TrueNorth wrote: »

What if you're self employed?
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Maybe but a sick mind that was voted for by the UK public.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Glad to see you've steered clear of hyperbole again.

A website where can you can say what hours you are available to work, and employers can then book you to work those hours ... what exactly do you find "disgusting" or "sick" about that?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    [/B]

Maybe but a sick mind that was voted for by the UK public.

That's 30 odd percent of the voting UK public.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's 30 odd percent of the voting UK public.

37% i think lower then the Tories minimum threshold for a strike 40% of those eligible to vote if only they would bring that in for General Elections, and Police Commissioner elections where 13% gets you elected.>:(
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    Glad to see you've steered clear of hyperbole again.

A website where can you can say what hours you are available to work, and employers can then book you to work those hours ... what exactly do you find "disgusting" or "sick" about that?

I very much doubt people have any real say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I very much doubt people have any real say.

Have a say about what? Please clarify.

I don't understand what is "disgusting" and "sick" about linking up unemployed people with employers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't understand what is "disgusting" and "sick" about linking up unemployed people with employers?

I think it depends on what employment is on offer.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

If you read it it is not just aimed at unemployed it is also aimed at working people, UC covers both unemployed and employed people
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

I think it depends on what employment is on offer.

So does anyone here know what employment is on offer, or have some posters already decided that the system is "disgusting" and "sick"?

In the absence of any genuine info, their cries of pain sound like the usual load of hyperbole to my ears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    If you read it it is not just aimed at unemployed it is also aimed at working people, UC covers both unemployed and employed people

I would assume that if someone is already employed, they won't have any available hours, therefore they won't get booked.

It still sounds to me like some people might be looking to pick holes in a system, that has the potential to help people find unemployment, simply because they don't like the party that have introduced it.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well for a start I don't think much of zero hour contracts and ones that provide no stability at all.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would assume that if someone is already employed, they won't have any available hours, therefore they won't get booked.

It still sounds to me like some people might be looking to pick holes in a system, that has the potential to help people find unemployment, simply because they don't like the party that have introduced it.

You would "assume"? Don't you know anything about Universal Credit?

The concept of "employed" has no meaning under Universal Credit, but you clearly have no interest in finding out the truth else you would have done it already.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Well for a start I don't think much of zero hour contracts and ones that provide no stability at all.

A fixed contract would of course be preferable to temp work, but in the absence of a fixed contract, if the person is available to work, and there is work that can be done, what is so "disgusting" and "sick" about it?
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

UC is replacing out of work benefits, and replacing in work benefits like working tax credits and housing benefit which are just 2 benefits that working people can claim, Draft legislation just published The Universal Credit (Work-Related Requirements) In Work Pilot Scheme and Amendment Regulations 2015 gives powers to impose work related activities related to the ideas below for people who are working and needing to claim Universal Credit (UC) and if refused to have a UC benefit sanction imposed. The most egregious ideas look to become people in paid work being forced to do unpaid work experience (workfare), using the Claimant Commitment to mandate seeking and applying for and then being required to accept (or face a UC benefit sanction) any work, zero hour contracts, more work or better paid work for up to 35 hours per week and introducing IT systems for the State to enable employers ways for people to be “booked instantly” into casual very short term, short notice work. As well as extending “digital tools” and associated “Behavioural insights” [Psychological Fundamentalism] to ‘nudge‘ and control people.

“Under the pilot scheme created by these Regulations
    the suspension will be lifted for claimants chosen at random. The claimant will then become subject to the same obligations…as claimants who are not in work” [emphasis added]
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2015/9780111123836/memorandum/contents
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would "assume"? Don't you know anything about Universal Credit?

The concept of "employed" has no meaning under Universal Credit, but you clearly have no interest in finding out the truth else you would have done it already.

The truth? I've read enough of your posts on this forum to know how well acquainted you and the truth are.

"The concept of "employed" has no meaning under Universal Credit" .. .what does that even mean?

If you have an informed point to make a point, then make it, rather than being rude.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    37% i think lower then the Tories minimum threshold for a strike 40% of those eligible to vote if only they would bring that in for General Elections, and Police Commissioner elections where 13% gets you elected.>:(

Yes I agree, they are hypocrites. One rule for the unions and one rule for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    The most egregious ideas look to become people in paid work being forced to do unpaid work experience (workfare)

Why would the system want to take people out of paid employment, in order to force them to do unpaid work experience?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sort of think that a lot of this is literally just designed to 'scare people off benefits'.

I'm self-employed and in receipt of working-tax-credit (no other benefits), although I'm rapidly approaching the point at which I don't really need it anymore, although I'm still entitled because it's based on my last financial years earnings.

Given all this government interference when I'm switched over from WTC to UC, I might just ditch my claim for simplicities sake. I have no interest in being on some sort of Universal job match database for employers to find me on. After all, why would I?

It's not like any decent jobs would ever be listed on such a thing anyway, it'll be all minimum wage and zero-hours positions for heartless companies like Tesco. No ta'.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I sort of think that a lot of this is literally just designed to 'scare people off benefits'.

I'm self-employed and in receipt of working-tax-credit (no other benefits), although I'm rapidly approaching the point at which I don't really need it anymore, although I'm still entitled because it's based on my last financial years earnings.

Given all this government interference when I'm switched over from WTC to UC, I might just ditch my claim for simplicities sake. I have no interest in being on some sort of Universal job match database for employers to find me on. After all, why would I?

It's not like any decent jobs would ever be listed on such a thing anyway, it'll be all minimum wage and zero-hours positions for heartless companies like Tesco. No ta'.

Yeah don't want to be on it either