Options

EE Harry Reid

Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Harry Reid is yet another actor to tackle the role of Ben Mitchell, what do you think of the re-cast now he has been around for long enough to make some sort of judgement?

Comments

• Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is Ben for me now, Harry has done really well in the role and importantly I think DTC has helped in fleshing Ben out more and making him more rounded. Under Charlie Jones he was a joke and then with Joshua Pascoe he was very cold. Harry had more charisma which I think Ben needed.
  • Options
    abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Reid the actor is okay. Ben the character is vile....I think his initial portrayal by Charlie Jones has scarred me.
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie - Vulnerable
    Joshua - Psychotic
    Harry - Jerk

Ben is evolving certainly.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    He is Ben for me now, Harry has done really well in the role and importantly I think DTC has helped in fleshing Ben out more and making him more rounded. Under Charlie Jones he was a joke and then with Joshua Pascoe he was very cold. Harry had more charisma which I think Ben needed.

I agree. I love this Ben. One of my favourite characters and Harry Reid does him a great justice.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I don't like the way he plays him. Ben has lost his vulnerability and is now just a cowardly scrote. His great relationship with Jay has also gone...there is no chemistry between the actors.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Agreed :)
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS printed this interview yesterday
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/interviews/a650059/eastenders-star-harry-reid-on-bens-future-i-dont-expect-people-to-like-him.html#~peiBegTozcpoYh

I think he is one re-cast that has worked really well and I prefer him over ben 4.

He comes across well in the interview and seems to want to stick around so that is all good in my eyes. guess he had to wait for his storyline due to Sam Strike leaving but unlike other young actors today he has taken the chance to learn and be patient for a bigger storyline
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I don't like the way he plays him. Ben has lost his vulnerability and is now just a cowardly scrote. His great relationship with Jay has also gone...there is no chemistry between the actors.

I disagree I think Ben's vulnerability is shown alot more now and he works well with Jay as well, two good actors who both have been underused recently.
  • Options
    JeanetteBJeanetteB Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    I think he's fabulous. I'm so excited for Ben's scenes with Kathy :)
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Perfect casting and it seems like Harry Reid is happy to stick around going by recent interview.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's fine we will see more if him.next week
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    He's fine we will see more if him.next week

A lot more -every episode next week and quite prominently so.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    It took some time but I've accepted him as Ben. I think he works well with Jay too. I've more or less forgotten the previous Ben.
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 128,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think he has been good in the role Well he is better than other actors who played the part
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's ironic as him and Jamie Borthwick are really good mates in RL.

I've got use to him as Ben, tbh I don't think he been given enough material or a decent s/l to show us what he is capable of but I think he done alright so far, probably the best out of a bad bunch.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actor is fine, I just don't like the character that much. I just don't see anything to him that makes me feel sympathetic (apart from the fact that Abi is so determined to wish him straight.)

Still think they are setting up Ben to be the one to eventually oust Phil from his pedestal. Might be a while down the road, but it's something I really think they are setting up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think he has done very well but the weeks to come will be very telling, the Paul storyline has to be right both from Harry and the writers :p
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His best performance was the flashback to the night Lucy died.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will never like the character, but Harry has done a great job of slipping into the role.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This ^^^^ 100%, Pascoe for me had great chemistry with Jay, he wasn't a meek coward either like this Ben is but he also was able to show that vulnerable tormented side from all that had happened to him. Why they replaced him I do not know!
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simply dreadful but his attitude to the character is good.

Why Pascoe was never asked back, is something i will always wonder about. I know the actor was accused of molesting a young boy but there was zero evidence and I think it was thrown out of court. Going by his twitter, he still acts and has a fiance.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simply dreadful but his attitude to the character is good.

Why Pascoe was never asked back, is something i will always wonder about. I know the actor was accused of molesting a young boy but there was zero evidence and I think it was thrown out of court. Going by his twitter, he still acts and has a fiance.

I think understandably the BBC was cautious and especially with everything that had been going on with Savile even though he was found not guilty, once it there, it sticks.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's better than the two previous incarnations, but that isn't saying much.

The character of Ben is just inherently unlikeable. It really doesn't matter who portrays him, I cannot warm to the character at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its funny how alot of you are saying you don't like Ben because Harry Reid says he doesn't like Ben either and that he isn't meant to be liked, which must mean he is doing his job well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its funny how alot of you are saying you don't like Ben because Harry Reid says he doesn't like Ben either and that he isn't meant to be liked, which must mean he is doing his job well

Brilliant comment :D:D