Options

Snow Watch 2009/10 Season (Merged)

BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
Forum Member
With the weather set to turn colder from Friday and potentially snowy next week, I thought it was time to bring back Snow Watch for another season. As ever, a place to discuss snow prospects and also post snow reports for your location to help build the national picture! Here's the latest long range forecast from the UK Met Office which strongly indicates a change to colder conditions is on the way:
UK Outlook for Thursday 10 Dec 2009 to Tuesday 22 Dec 2009:

Generally fine and chilly on Thursday, though breezy and showery in the far northwest. Mainly fair but colder on Friday and Saturday, with frost and patchy fog morning and night. After a cold and frosty start, this Sunday will be dry and fair across much of the United Kingdom, although patches of fog are likely to linger for much of the day across some inland areas. From Monday to Wednesday, the mainly dry, cold and settled weather is expected to continue in the south and west, while it turns increasing breezy and showery towards the north and east. For the rest of the period, it's likely to turn even colder with widespread frost at night and a mix of sunshine and scattered wintry showers by day. The showers should be generally most prevalent towards the north and east of Britain, where they are likely to fall increasingly as sleet or snow, even to low levels by next weekend.

Updated: 1255 on Tue 8 Dec 2009

Source & more: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

And the latest White Christmas odds by city:
Glasgow 3/1
Belfast 7/2
London 7/2
Dublin 7/2
Manchester 4/1
Cardiff 5/1
Cork 6/1

Source: Paddy Power

Let the fun and games commence!

Comments

• Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a clue how odds work, so is 3/1 good? If so :)

Oh, and we had snow last week.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's funny, I just read that myself about ten minutes ago and thought about starting a thread! Unlike you, I decided against. :D

(not because I didn't think it interesting though - more because of fear of 'not another weather thread' type comments!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    That's funny, I just read that myself about ten minutes ago and thought about starting a thread! Unlike you, I decided against. :D

(not because I didn't think it interesting though - more because of fear of 'not another weather thread' type comments!!)
    Well somebody had to frankly! I don't mind taking the flack on this occasion, if indeed there is any.

Here's the latest temperature graph for London. There's quite a steep drop next week you'll notice:

http://209.197.11.184/c9s4a5k3/cds/ensimages/ens.20091208/12/t2mLondon.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=0f36092b4428cf444478cf1495bdc45f4478cf23&dopsig=4dc46dc00b935e71500d07ea8f3d6b18
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »

Oh, and we had snow last week.
    I'm not a betting man myself but they seem pretty good to me. I'd say the chances of a White Christmas somewhere in the UK are probably at their highest since the near miss of 2005- when the snow arrived a few days later across Eastern England and parts of the Midlands. Does anyone here remember that? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White Christmases are rare and will probably become rarer, but it is so long since most of the UK has had any decent snow at Christmas that we must surely be due another one before too long. Maybe this is the year the bets will pay off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    White Christmases are rare and will probably become rarer, but it is so long since most of the UK has had any decent snow at Christmas that we must surely be due another one before too long. Maybe this is the year the bets will pay off.
    December snow full stop has been rare in recent years, never mind specific days! I've noticed in most winters since at least the late 90s that most widespread snow events in the UK seem to occur in either late January or early February, for whatever reason.

It would definitely be lovely to have a White Christmas. Here in Northants you'd have to go back as far as the 80s or even the 70s to find the most recent example. But I do accept it could play havoc with people's travel plans!
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Well somebody had to frankly! I don't mind taking the flack on this occasion, if indeed there is any.

Here's the latest temperature graph for London. There's quite a steep drop next week you'll notice:

http://209.197.11.184/c9s4a5k3/cds/ensimages/ens.20091208/12/t2mLondon.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=0f36092b4428cf444478cf1495bdc45f4478cf23&dopsig=4dc46dc00b935e71500d07ea8f3d6b18

Am I right in thinking the relevant line on that graph is the bright green one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Am I right in thinking the relevant line on that graph is the bright green one?
    The green line is the most relevant yes! Without wanting to get too technical, it has more data put into it. But the others are still interesting to look at as well and help build a clearer picture. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    We have had a number of snow showers here in the last week or so but due to the ground being so wet from the amount of rain we are having, there was no chance of it sticking. It's so very cold though, I would not be suprised if snow was on it's way.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a betting man myself but they seem pretty good to me. I'd say the chances of a White Christmas somewhere in the UK are probably at their highest since the near miss of 2005- when the snow arrived a few days later across Eastern England and parts of the Midlands. Does anyone here remember that? :)

Yes, the end of December became snowy over most of Central & Eastern England. If you remember, the Winter of 2005/06 was very cold over much of Europe, and we just missed it in this country by a hair's whisker.

That was the Winter where a couple of public places (in Germany & Poland, I think) had roofs fall in owing to the weight of snow, and people were hurt as a result.
    December snow full stop has been rare in recent years, never mind specific days! I've noticed in most winters since at least the late 90s that most widespread snow events in the UK seem to occur in either late January or early February, for whatever reason.

It would definitely be lovely to have a White Christmas. Here in Northants you'd have to go back as far as the 80s or even the 70s to find the most recent example. But I do accept it could play havoc with people's travel plans!

We might have a white Christmas. It would be the first proper (snow falling) white Christmas in the South since 1970. The others last century were 1927 & 1938. The 1927 not being picturesque, but a severe disruptive blizzard with many places cut off, and strong Easterly gales.

I think this year has the best chance of a white Christmas in the South for a number of years. Although it will still probably be green.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure 1970 is the one I remember. I recall my father carving the turkey with the snow falling and saying ' well it's seasonal anyway'. My father died in 2007 - 37 years later (funnily enough his first Christmas was 1927) having never seen another one. That goes to show how rare they are. I think I will be lucky if I see one more.

I recall one year since - probably either 1980 or 1981 - when it was cold and there was a bit of snow lying on Christmas Day from falls on previous days, but none actually fell on the day itself.
  • Options
    TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree, i can't remember the last time it snowed significantly in December.

I once had a thunder storm on Christmas Eve years ago (the better part of a decade if not more).

It did snow on News Years Eve for 2/3 minutes last year (2008) but it was that small snow that melts as soon as it hits anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Awww it doesn't look like they'll be any before the school holidays :(

I remember last year we had loads of snow on....... 22nd November according to some of the pictures I took.

Also has anyone noticed we've had hardly any storms this autumn? Seems like ages ago since we had lightning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Yes, the end of December became snowy over most of Central & Eastern England. If you remember, the Winter of 2005/06 was very cold over much of Europe, and we just missed it in this country by a hair's whisker.

That was the Winter where a couple of public places (in Germany & Poland, I think) had roofs fall in owing to the weight of snow, and people were hurt as a result.
    Indeed so. 2005/06 was predicted to be a rather cold one for us in the UK but in the end it didn't amount to much with the bulk of the cold further east. This year could well go the same way, but hopefully not. Whatever happens, I would like my roof in tact by the end of it though please!

Seriously, given it's a moderate/strong El Nino winter we're going into, we probably shouldn't get our hopes up.
    blueblade wrote: »
    We might have a white Christmas. It would be the first proper (snow falling) white Christmas in the South since 1970. The others last century were 1927 & 1938. The 1927 not being picturesque, but a severe disruptive blizzard with many places cut off, and strong Easterly gales.

I think this year has the best chance of a white Christmas in the South for a number of years. Although it will still probably be green.
    Interesting statistics - thanks. I agree that the potential definitely presents itself this year, with very cold air currently forecast to be near or directly over the UK in the run up to Christmas. IF the cold & snow arrive as planned, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it could set in for a while with wintry conditions persisting up to the big day itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TPL wrote: »
    I agree, i can't remember the last time it snowed significantly in December.

I once had a thunder storm on Christmas Eve years ago (the better part of a decade if not more).

It did snow on News Years Eve for 2/3 minutes last year (2008) but it was that small snow that melts as soon as it hits anything.

The most notable Christmas Day thunderstorms were in 1947, when exceptionally mild air had undercut cold air along a slow moving trough, and caused some notable thunderstorms over much of the South East, and 1990, when a well marked cold front caused thunderstorms lasting about 30 minutes to move East along a very wide band over England. There was thunder that day from West Yorkshire to Dorset, and all points East.
    Confusing wrote: »
    Awww it doesn't look like they'll be any before the school holidays :(

I remember last year we had loads of snow on....... 22nd November according to some of the pictures I took.

Also has anyone noticed we've had hardly any storms this autumn? Seems like ages ago since we had lightning.

2008 & 2009 have been the most thunderless years I personally have ever known.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed so. 2005/06 was predicted to be a rather cold one for us in the UK but in the end it didn't amount to much with the bulk of the cold further east. This year could well go the same way, but hopefully not. Whatever happens, I would like my roof in tact by the end of it though please!

Seriously, given it's a moderate/strong El Nino winter we're going into, we probably shouldn't get our hopes up.

Interesting statistics - thanks. I agree that the potential definitely presents itself this year, with very cold air currently forecast to be near or directly over the UK in the run up to Christmas. IF the cold & snow arrive as planned, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it could set in for a while with wintry conditions persisting up to the big day itself.

I agree, but you never know. Occasional seasons confound trends and statistics.
  • Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    we had an unusual snow-fall on the Costa del Sol this year!!!

read more here - (I'm dreading more of the same this year - the houses just aren't built for it!)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Extremes-of-weather-on-the-Costa-del-Sol
  • Options
    Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it snowing on Christmas Day 2005, well Christmas night, because I woke my husband up to look at it - West Midlands area this was. would love it this year as my nephew was born on 26/11/09 and even though he wouldn't remember it, we would and we would take plenty of pictures for him

Can we also have the betting prices for the second city as well please - Birmingham?
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    I can confirm that there is a signficant chance of a white Christmas, and almost certain snow at the end of next week/early Christmas week.
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without wishing to be Bah Humbug, I can't think of anything worse than snow over Xmas. I won't drive in snow or ice ( after getting stuck on M11 last year with my windscreen and wipers completely iced oved in the blizzards v scary!!) so it means being effectively housebound for a few days for me. It looks lovely though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Latest update from the Met Office:
    UK Outlook for Monday 14 Dec 2009 to Wednesday 23 Dec 2009:

On Monday, cold with slow-clearing mist or fog in the south and west although there is a risk of showers or outbreaks of rain, turning to snow over higher ground, in the north and east through the day. Remaining cold and mostly dry in many areas through the rest of the week although there is the potential for blustery wintry showers especially across northern and eastern parts. The nights will be frosty in many places with some persistent fog or freezing fog also forming. From Saturday and for the rest of the period it is likely to remain cold or even very cold and rather breezy at times. It could also turn more unsettled bringing a further risk of snow showers, especially to northern and eastern parts.

Updated: 1153 on Wed 9 Dec 2009

Source: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »

The odds seem to indicate a high confidence among punters that there will not be a white Christmas in any one of the locations listed. :rolleyes: at the thread.
    I can confirm that there is a signficant chance of a white Christmas, and almost certain snow at the end of next week/early Christmas week.
    Where? Cairngorm summit? Snake Pass?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    The odds seem to indicate a high confidence that there will not be a white Christmas in any one of the locations listed. :rolleyes: at the thread.
    It's still 16 days away. I'm sure the odds will plummet over the coming days as the weather turns increasingly colder.

Now might be a good time to put a bet on if you fancy a flutter!
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    It's still 16 days away. I'm sure the odds will plummet over the coming days as the weather turns increasingly colder.

Now might be a good time to put a bet on if you fancy a flutter!

No, the time to place a bet would have been last week, or at least last weekend when the change in weather type was first being widely discussed and the odds were better.

I always assume that threads like this are mostly promoted by punters who did just that and who wish to help drive down the odds even further without actually spending any more cash. I shall endeavour to put it in perspective... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Where? Cairngorm summit? Snake Pass?
    Read the Met Office updates. They indicate low level snow by the end of next week in the north and east. If you disagree with their conclusion then feel free to explain why.