Options

Commonwealth Football Championship

Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
Forum Member
As there is the Commonwealth Games.. Is there any chance of a Commonwealth Football Championship as it may be the only chance any of the Home Nations are likely to win a competition.

I predict England will be the favourites and Australia are getting a good team and Scotland would easily appear in these finals and possibility able to host these finals unlike the WC and Euros.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As there is the Commonwealth Games.. Is there any chance of a Commonwealth Football Championship as it may be the only chance any of the Home Nations are likely to win a competition.

I predict England will be the favourites and Australia are getting a good team and Scotland would easily appear in these finals and possibility able to host these finals unlike the WC and Euros.

What do you think?

Surprised they don't have them this year say at under 23 level, they have the grounds as well for a small tournament
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Out of the World Cup teams this year, only England, Australia, Ghana and Nigeria who also compete in the Commonwealth Games would be in this competition
  • Options
    Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of the World Cup teams this year, only England, Australia, Ghana and Nigeria who also compete in the Commonwealth Games would be in this competition

Probably a good reason not to have it then. The quality of such a tournament would be drab to say the least.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    It'd be a good idea for younger players at least.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    It'd be a good idea for younger players at least.

In that case I'd make Nigeria favourites, they usually have good youth teams...
  • Options
    orange_crushorange_crush Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You've also got New Zealand, South Africa and Trinidad & Tobago who have qualified for recent world cups and a handful of other countries with some footballing heritage

I'd imagine we'd have a 16 team tournament

The 4 home nations
    Australia
    Ghana
    Nigeria
    New Zealand
    South Africa
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Canada
    Jamaica
    Cyprus
    Cameroon (oh, there's another one from this year's world cup)
    Singapore
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a youth tournie it might have some merit.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't really see the point in adding to an already crowded fixture calendar with a meaningless tournament.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Don't really see the point in adding to an already crowded fixture calendar with a meaningless tournament.

If it's for younger players, it'd be fine. Most wouldn't be playing in regular first team club football anyway.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seven a side!
    would fully endorse this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You've also got New Zealand, South Africa and Trinidad & Tobago who have qualified for recent world cups and a handful of other countries with some footballing heritage

I'd imagine we'd have a 16 team tournament

The 4 home nations
    Australia
    Ghana
    Nigeria
    New Zealand
    South Africa
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Canada
    Jamaica
    Cyprus
    Cameroon (oh, there's another one from this year's world cup)
    Singapore

Possible Championship draw based on current FIFA rankings

Pot 1

England
    Scotland
    Ghana
    Wales

Pot 2

Nigeria
    Sierra Leone (no 54 in rankings!)
    Cameroon
    Australia

Pot 3

South Africa
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Zambia
    Jamaica

Pot 4

Uganda
    Northern Ireland
    Botswana
    New Zealand

Other teams in the game by Fifa
    Kenya
    Canada
    Namibia
    Rwanda
    Mozambique
    Malawi
    Malta
    St Vincent and the Grenadines
    St Lucia
    Lesotho
    Cyprus
    Grenada
    Maldives
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Belize
    Malaysia
    India
    Singapore
    Guyana
    St Kitts and Nevis
    Pakistan
    Montserrat
    Bangladesh
    Dominica
    Barbados
    Swaziland
    Bermuda
    Sri Lanka
    Solomon Islands
    Seychelles
    Mauritius
    Bahamas
    Fiji
    Samoa
    Vanuatu
    Brunei Darussalam
    Tonga
    Cayman Islands
    Papua New Guinea
    British Virgin Islands
    Cook Islands
    Anguilla
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    and new team Gibraltar
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Not a bad idea at all to have another tournament. How about the home nations, Ireland and three invited teams, run it parallel to the Confederations cup.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    within the games themselves though
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad idea at all to have another tournament. How about the home nations, Ireland and three invited teams, run it parallel to the Confederations cup.
    It could also be held parallel to the World Cup, right after the group stage. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    now the Commonwealth Games are approaching. Best to get the discussing alive again
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now the Commonwealth Games are approaching. Best to get the discussing alive again

I suspect there would be problems with the legality of it. It would have to be a FIFA sanctioned event and I imagine they might have problems with the idea of such a tournament, especially as it's held in World Cup year every four years.....in effect, it could be seen as a 'rival' event to the World Cup (in a heavily diluted form of course).
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a complete car crash of a tournament.
  • Options
    MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member

What do you think?
    Nigeria we're the only country from the commonwealth to get to the last sixteen of the world cup.
  • Options
    MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member

You forgot Cameroon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I suspect there would be problems with the legality of it. It would have to be a FIFA sanctioned event and I imagine they might have problems with the idea of such a tournament, especially as it's held in World Cup year every four years.....in effect, it could be seen as a 'rival' event to the World Cup (in a heavily diluted form of course).

It should be held in the other year rather than the WC year
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »

No players picked for World Cup allowed to play in Commonwealths. In effect, you'd put your B team in the Commonwealths and blood new players because no player will put CG before WC.

It could work with some sort of stipulation such as that.