Options

Posh Pawnbrokers, what happened to Posh Pawn?

Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
Forum Member
I have seen this new show "Posh Pawnbrokers" on channel 4, what happened to "Posh Pawn", this new show is very similar.

It seems strange I hope the old lot have not been ditched.

Comments

• Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Digiguide it says that it is just a daytime spin off from PP.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks, I much prefer the other shops.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do people think of Dan as a replacement for James?
  • Options
    HumptyDumpyHumptyDumpy Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do people think of Dan as a replacement for James?

It's a no from me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He looks as though he is from a foreign background, yet has an English name and accent.

Does anybody have any more info?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He looks as though he is from a foreign background, yet has an English name and accent.

Does anybody have any more info?

Seems he used to work in recruitment, and took over the shop 7 years ago.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-shop-is-pawn-star-in-new-television-show-1-7236653
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers :)
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My EPG says its no 8?
  • Options
    ocoxocox Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's watchable but I prefer Posh Pawn, especially when Ian is in the show. In fact Ian should be given his own show:)
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unbelievable what some things are worth. Those sparkly shoes and handbag. Can't remember the exact total, but presume they're worth more when he re-sells them.

As for all of that sports memorabilia. :o Also those trainers in the big box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody else find Dans constant smiling at every opportunity off putting?

Everybody gets annoyed or has their off days (as James did on Posh Pawn) and it doesn't seem natural to be smiling inbetween every word.

I'm sure it wasn't all put on; perhaps I'm just a misery guts :D
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,177
    Forum Member
    Have seen some of these now C4 are repeating at lunchtime.

The thing I don't understand is most of the items brought in are for sale not pawn. Given the pawnbroker will want to make a profit and they tend to feature quirky stuff which they need to find a buyer for first before buying from the customer surely the customers are getting a poor deal. Surely it must be better to try and sell themselves at auction (which is usually around 20% sellers commission including VAT) or on somewhere like eBay.

Or do they think the pawnbrokers have a wide contact list to pass stuff on to ? so they get the item sold even if the price is not as high as it could be if they did more work themselves.

I also presume they deliberately don't show the expert the pawnbroker calls in giving their valuation of the item to the pawnbroker. Surely that is something the pawnbroker would ask as well as the generic chat on saleability etc. I expect they don't want people seeing they are probably only offering 50% of that valuation at best, given they have the risk of selling it on. Plus they must be paying the expert a few quid for their advice.