Options

Is shouting and swearing at children child abuse?

NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i know that I have started a thread previously that I don't like children but want no harm to come to them. we have new neighbours, a young couple who are probably in their 20s with two young preschool sons.

Since they have moved in I have heard the mum shouting and swearing at her kids and occasional slapping sounds. She also shouts a lot at her male partner to the degree that I know his and the kids names and that one of the kids are not his.

Their fighting is so bad the police have been involved twice and have taken him away, but to what I hear she is the one hitting and stabbing him.

What I am concerned about is how violent and loud the screaming matches are, I can hear them and they are not that close. I know the children are there and am concerned because it kinda makes me feel stressed never mind the children. she actually does sometimes scream that the children will be taken away from her and that she cannot cope without them.

Yesterday during a screaming match her partner told her that she calls her son the C""" name and slaps them a lot. this really worried me because I can't imagine how bad this must be for the kids.

The fighting whilst the kids are home is not just shouting it's serious swearing, shouting that he will never see the kids agin, that she hates her one son and he keeps on yelling at her about her hitting him and the kids.

My husband got really cross with me saying that I am too involved because think it s child abuse but I called the child helpline anyway. I just don't know if this behaviour is normal these days.

my parents had 3 big fights when a I was a kid and certainly nothing like calling me names or saying those sort of things. is this normal these days and is it child abuse.?

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Perfectly normal these days among the less salubrious neighbourhoods.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perfectly normal these days among the less salubrious neighbourhoods.

Perhaps but our neighbourhood being a seaside town is very mixed from the uber rich holiday mansions to the small beach cottages and council places. I have never experienced this previously so am still not used to it.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Natgar wrote: »
    Perhaps but our neighbourhood being a seaside town is very iced from the under rich mansions to the small council places. I have never experienced this previously so am still not used to it.

Sounds like Folkestone.
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, this is definitely child abuse, and no, this is not normal. Sadly, I've seen this a few times, even from a friend where she called her daughter the 'B' word, (a name for a female dog). The child was about 3 or 4 at the time. Her sister told her off and told her not to speak to her like that.

I've never witnessed an occasion where my parents used swear words, even when they were arguing, much less towards me and my siblings. They didn't even raise their voices or shouted at us ever.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can sympathize with stressed out parents. I don't have children but I was one once and rather hard work I was too. I don't recall my parents ever shouting or swearing at my brother and I though. IMO if it isn't child abuse it's certainly a characteristic of a shit parent.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that is child abuse. I would find it extremely upsetting to listen to. What did the helpline say when you rang them?
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's not normal and yes it is abuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Yes that is child abuse. I would find it extremely upsetting to listen to. What did the helpline say when you rang them?

They said they would pass it onto social and that i was right to call. I don't think their parents don't love them, I am just worried about what they hear and because the fights are so loud you van hear It down the street. the children are always completely silent during the fights but cry a lot afterwards and scream a. Lot too. the mother , in one fight, stated that one of the children hits the other.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouting and swearing at people in the street is classed as abuse

So I'd say yes
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel you're right to be involved and concerned, you could be the only one looking out for the safety of those kids. Poor mites fancy growing up in that sort of environment, the mind boggles as to the effect all this could have on them.

People like these sicken me, not only for behaving like low-lifes in front of their kids but affecting others' lives too. My neighbours downstairs are the same (no small kids though). I lost it a few weeks ago and confronted them at 05.45am (their screaming, banging and thudding through the flat woke me up), it died down for a while but it's slowly building up again :( To be woken up to "you f****** c***'' bouncing around your home is no joke so I can only imagine your distress knowing it's going on with kids present. >:(
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That couple sound like a nightmare to have as neighbours. Using abusive language towards their kids is a form of child abuse. If this is not tackled, then no doubt the cycle will continue when the kids become adults and will likely behave in the same manner towards their own kids.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say it is, yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    I feel you're right to be involved and concerned, you could be the only one looking out for the safety of those kids. Poor mites fancy growing up in that sort of environment, the mind boggles as to the effect all this could have on them.

People like these sicken me, not only for behaving like low-lifes in front of their kids but affecting others' lives too. My neighbours downstairs are the same (no small kids though). I lost it a few weeks ago and confronted them at 05.45am (their screaming, banging and thudding through the flat woke me up), it died down for a while but it's slowly building up again :( To be woken up to "you f****** c***'' bouncing around your home is no joke so I can only imagine your distress knowing it's going on with kids present. >:(

I know, they seem to fight almost every weekend , I think alcohol is involved and it is loud the live a bit away but the fights are so loud I can hear them, it makes my pet dog whine as he cannot handle arguments or loud voices. it makes me feel really stressed as I am not used to that in my relationship so I feel really bad for how stressed the kids must be.

They slam doors, Rev their car, shout swear etc...
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    Shouting and swearing at people in the street is classed as abuse

So I'd say yes

I think it's because it's a breach of the peach/public order offence.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you whisper and swear at them is that OK?
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natgar wrote: »
    I know, they seem to fight almost every weekend , I think alcohol is involved and it is loud the live a bit away but the fights are so loud I can hear them, it makes my pet dog whine as he cannot handle arguments or loud voices. it makes me feel really stressed as I am not used to that in my relationship so I feel really bad for how stressed the kids must be.

They slam doors, Rev their car, shout swear etc...

I have it every day - door slamming, furniture sounds as though it's being flung against the walls, I swear but bloody hell some of the things they come out with are bad. The '"fun" really starts when family members come round scrounging money and the like. They don't go on holiday or anything so I don't even have that to look forward to.

Scummy people tick me off - no consideration for other people. I'd keep on reporting them to the authorities, perhaps this may scare them into changing their behaviour. Something needs to be done by the sounds of it.

It is stressful Natgar.
  • Options
    Poplife04Poplife04 Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    No and neither is a smack. Some children need a hard smack for discipline
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the local retail park a couple of days ago and saw an obese mother turn round and call her little boy "a f**king C*nt" for not walking fast enough. Poor little boy what kind of life he must have and what kind of man & parent will he be when an adult. Some people don't deserve to have kids.
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot wait for the children to use some of the colourful language in school, then we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Yes, definitely.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Poplife04 wrote: »
    No and neither is a smack. Some children need a hard smack for discipline

The type of people who think it's fine to physically attack a child, are quite frightening. You are either a wum or someone to avoid.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are we all ignoring the bit abut the stabbing?

Fair enough.
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    Natgar is right to pass this on to Social Services. It is the responsible thing to do. Hopefully they will deal with the situation appropriately. As in all things of such nature, the overwhelming priority is the safety of the children.

Having said that, it may be the mother who needs help. If she is maltreating (I will avoid the word "abuse". Subtle difference, but an important one where fine distinctions sometimes need to be made) her children then it's important to find out why, and to work out a way of resolving that situation so the children's home environment is stabilised.

Bringing up children is stressful. Goodness knows I struggled at first. There were many times when I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing, or couldn't figure out why the baby wouldn't stop crying. My mother in law put it all in perspective one afternoon when she came over. "You can't know everything straight away. You've never been a mother before, have you?" Then she soothed the baby, told me I was doing fine and once the baby had gone to sleep, she got the kettle on.

I wonder if the mother in the case of this thread has any support? Does she have a mum of her own, or mother in law, or a sister with children living nearby..? Somebody who "knows the ropes" and can give her the right advice, and tell her she's doing fine and it's all going to be OK. You'd be surprised how the stress can just evaporate when somebody competent, confident and - crucially - close at hand is there to do those things. Even a helpful neighbour can be a godsend if there is no family. "Somebody.... ANYBODY... help me. Please."

Sounds like a cry for help to me.

Being a mother is hard. Damned hard. Nobody should ever underestimate that. Perhaps the mother knows she is doing the wrong thing but is caught in a spiral of loneliness caused by lack of experienced support leading to inability to cope which causes stress that explodes into maltreatment. Then she realises what she's done and becomes even more stressed out because she feels inadequate..... it's a terrible downward spiral. She needs somebody to help stop the tailspin she's falling into.

I hope that this woman can get the help she needs because right now, for whatever reason, it sounds like she's at the end of her tether.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natgar is right to pass this on to Social Services. It is the responsible thing to do. Hopefully they will deal with the situation appropriately. As in all things of such nature, the overwhelming priority is the safety of the children.

Having said that, it may be the mother who needs help. If she is maltreating (I will avoid the word "abuse". Subtle difference, but an important one where fine distinctions sometimes need to be made) her children then it's important to find out why, and to work out a way of resolving that situation so the children's home environment is stabilised.

Bringing up children is stressful. Goodness knows I struggled at first. There were many times when I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing, or couldn't figure out why the baby wouldn't stop crying. My mother in law put it all in perspective one afternoon when she came over. "You can't know everything straight away. You've never been a mother before, have you?" Then she soothed the baby, told me I was doing fine and once the baby had gone to sleep, she got the kettle on.

I wonder if the mother in the case of this thread has any support? Does she have a mum of her own, or mother in law, or a sister with children living nearby..? Somebody who "knows the ropes" and can give her the right advice, and tell her she's doing fine and it's all going to be OK. You'd be surprised how the stress can just evaporate when somebody competent, confident and - crucially - close at hand is there to do those things. Even a helpful neighbour can be a godsend if there is no family. "Somebody.... ANYBODY... help me. Please."

Sounds like a cry for help to me.

Being a mother is hard. Damned hard. Nobody should ever underestimate that. Perhaps the mother knows she is doing the wrong thing but is caught in a spiral of loneliness caused by lack of experienced support leading to inability to cope which causes stress that explodes into maltreatment. Then she realises what she's done and becomes even more stressed out because she feels inadequate..... it's a terrible downward spiral. She needs somebody to help stop the tailspin she's falling into.

I hope that this woman can get the help she needs because right now, for whatever reason, it sounds like she's at the end of her tether.

Well said. A good and very reasonable and compassionate post.