Capaldi's diction

Comments

• spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were sound issues, but that was nothing to do with Capaldi's diction. It appears to be commonplace these days, we have these wonderful, state-of-the-art tv's, brilliant picture quality, but sound quality is often poor.

when 5.1 mixing youre supposed to also check the mono version but heck there just aint the time .... using ppms for level dont help much either
  • scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    We keep looking at each other, large parts of the dialogue we miss as it's not clear
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched parts of the screener - the music in the broadcast version really stamped on some scenes.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still struggling here I'm afraid. If they would just tone the music down it might help.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    If you are listening via your TV's built-in speakers, check any sound settings in the menus - disable any "wide stereo" settings and enable any "speech emphasis" or "centre" setting. Also check the EQ settings - reduce the bass and raise the mid to higher frequency levels a touch - that will "lift" the vocals and help stop them being drowned by the music (there may even be a "vocals" preset you can chose).

If you are listening on surround sound speakers, use a vocals EQ setting and raise the relative level of the centre speaker as most vocals are centre-panned.
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the start of Into The Dalek very quiet, but after a while it seemed to get better. It's a problem with the sound quality as opposed to Capaldi I think, because I could understand him pretty much perfectly when the sound was good.
  • lannerslanners Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    The rate people are talking about his accent we are going to have to start going the american way and dumb down to the lowest common deniminator. Let all future doctors only speak with an English accent, be very sexy so that the female viewers can oggle etc.
    Forum Member
    If you are listening via your TV's built-in speakers, check any sound settings in the menus - disable any "wide stereo" settings and enable any "speech emphasis" or "centre" setting. Also check the EQ settings - reduce the bass and raise the mid to higher frequency levels a touch - that will "lift" the vocals and help stop them being drowned by the music (there may even be a "vocals" preset you can chose).

If you are listening on surround sound speakers, use a vocals EQ setting and raise the relative level of the centre speaker as most vocals are centre-panned.

It's not the TV settings it's the speed of the dialogue.
    Forum Member
    lanners wrote: »
    The rate people are talking about his accent we are going to have to start going the american way and dumb down to the lowest common deniminator. Let all future doctors only speak with an English accent, be very sexy so that the female viewers can oggle etc.

What I ridiculous unhelpful comment why so aggressive.
    Forum Member
    in fact after just reading this we are going to have to stop all TV in case anything affends anybody.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2737867/Doctor-Who-criticised-scene-characters-tear-hair-complaints-sufferers-rare-disorder.html

I mean we won't be able to have characters who are too fat, too tall in case virtically challenged people complain, too short , too blond, not ginger, hell the list goes on and on and on. Its a Sci-fi show poeple. Its not real life. Granted this is probobly more realalistic than soap operas these days
    Forum Member
    scumcat wrote: »
    It's not the TV settings it's the speed of the dialogue.

Not for everyone - most of those saying there's a problem are talking about the volume and/or relative levels of voice to music/effects.

More importantly, only a small number of people are having any problem at all.
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with accents or clarity/rate of speech, but I found the audio was quite low in general yesterday. I had to turn the volume up on my TV as well as my freesat box, and I almost never have to do that.

I think if people struggle with lots of programmes it's fair to suggest their kit needs looking at. Problems with specific programmes are different.
    Forum Member
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Nothing to do with accents or clarity/rate of speech, but I found the audio was quite low in general yesterday. I had to turn the volume up on my TV as well as my freesat box, and I almost never have to do that.

I think if people struggle with lots of programmes it's fair to suggest their kit needs looking at. Problems with specific programmes are different.

Not necessarily.

Someone who mostly watches sport or action films may need to adjust the settings for dialogue heavy programs. I listen to a lot of dialogue-based radio (radio 4/4 Extra) via freesat so my TV is pretty well set up to make dialogue stand out more than music and sound effects.
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily.

Someone who mostly watches sport or action films may need to adjust the settings for dialogue heavy programs. I listen to a lot of dialogue-based radio (radio 4/4 Extra) via freesat so my TV is pretty well set up to make dialogue stand out more than music and sound effects.

Fair enough, but I was talking about specific programmes rather specific types of programme. I watch all sorts of stuff - including a lot of radio 4 - and almost never have a problem with the volume. Last night was too quiet for me at times.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    I have just adjusted my TV to reduce the Bass right down low and increase the Treble right up high.

The dialogue does seem better. However I will have to wait to see an episode that i have not watched to see how much it has improved.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'll have to try switching to the voice mode, which is a shame because it otherwise sounds terrific in surround cinema mode.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    A fellow Scot, I have no problems with his diction.

With the persona that's been scripted for him - not so keen.
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More importantly, only a small number of people are having any problem at all.

How do you come to this assertion?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Well if it's any help, I can hear it perfectly :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I have had a difficult time with both episodes in understanding some of what Capaldi and Coleman are saying. I think either the actors are not enunciating clearly or there is a problem with the sound in the studio.

Certainly I have never had a problem understanding any of the dialogue in Classic Who. In fact, I have no problem understanding the dialogue in any of the shows I watch, either current or past shows. It is only with new Who that I can't always understand what's being said.
  • GeenyGeeny Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldis diction is perfect, I don't see any sound issues either and I usually do on most tv shows. Maybe the moaners are southerners, well welcome to the world as its been on tv for decades for northerners ie Eastenders etc cant catch a word they say!
    Forum Member
    scumcat wrote: »
    What I ridiculous unhelpful comment why so aggressive.

I can understand his accent without an problems. I am asking why people have a problem with it.
    Forum Member
    Geeny wrote: »
    Capaldis diction is perfect, I don't see any sound issues either and I usually do on most tv shows. Maybe the moaners are southerners, well welcome to the world as its been on tv for decades for northerners ie Eastenders etc cant catch a word they say!

Thanks for the welcome but I have lived up north all my life. Why is it so difficult to have a descent debate without being called a moaner by some know it all.
    Forum Member
    lanners wrote: »
    I can understand his accent without an problems. I am asking why people have a problem with it.

Exactly - hence offering possible practical solutions such as adjusting EQ controls or removing sound processing such as "stereo wide" that some TV's set by default.

There's no broad coverage of any issue in the reviews or non-fan outlets despite there being many millions of viewers - and let's not forget that poor sound levels/quality on "Jamaica Inn" a few weeks ago was considered headline news for a fortnight - so the tabloids would have had a field-day with DW if there were many complaints.
  • COMMANDER SMITHCOMMANDER SMITH Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I am Spanish and understand him much better than Smith.