any advice am i better connecting to.
sky plus hd box or,
sony smart tv or
sony blu ray player ?????

Comments

• Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a small network switch to go with your Home Plugs. That way all three devices can share the internet connection. Look for something like the Netgear FS605
  • hoppyhoppy Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    would set up be downstairs in living room !
    3 cables from each device going into the box
    then 1 cable from box into home plug ????
    upstairs where router is,
    cable from home plug to router ????
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hoppy wrote: »
    would set up be downstairs in living room !
    3 cables from each device going into the box
    then 1 cable from box into home plug ????
    upstairs where router is,
    cable from home plug to router ????

Correct :D

Just think of the homeplug link as just a network cable from in to out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-GS105-5-port-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B0000E5SEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356909582&sr=8-1 get one of these

and note its far faster than Currys/PC World model for same price. Just put your CAT 6 cables into any port, including one from Homeplugs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Network-Shielded-CABLES-ALL/dp/B0055PDE62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356909691&sr=8-1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-GS105-5-port-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B0000E5SEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356909582&sr=8-1 get one of these

and note its far faster than Currys/PC World model for same price. Just put your CAT 6 cables into any port, including one from Homeplugs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Network-Shielded-CABLES-ALL/dp/B0055PDE62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356909691&sr=8-1

A tad confused here. You are deluding yourself. A standard network switch 10/100 using cat5 cable is capable of 100Mbps way faster then required here.

This will work just as well

http://www.netstoredirect.com/tp-link-switches/32807-tp-link-5-port-10-100mbps-desktop-switch-6935364020064.html?gclid=CKm97t2ow7QCFaTMtAodcmAAdw

Unless the router has a gigabit port then you will gain zero from this.

To transfer say blu-ray at full 1080p24 needs around 35Mpbs, to use catch up vod at the highest quality needs about 10% of this. Being able to to transfer data from your router to the box at faster speeds than your isp can deliver is just pointless for catch up services.

I have a reasonably fast Virgin Media 20Mbps service, the cat 5 connection and standard 10/100 network switch is 5 times faster than the connection to the internet, it's fast enough for internal streaming of HD content and HD iplayer by a large margin.

Why spend extra money for zero advantage ?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Your homeplug link will cause your neighbours interference. A network cable would not and cost a lot less.

Selfish or ignorant of the facts?

depends on what the neighbours are doing.
    Forum Member
    Your homeplug link will cause your neighbours interference. A network cable would not and cost a lot less.

I dont agree a great deal with this
    Forum Member
    A tad confused here. You are deluding yourself. A standard network switch 10/100 using cat5 cable is capable of 100Mbps way faster then required here.

This will work just as well

http://www.netstoredirect.com/tp-link-switches/32807-tp-link-5-port-10-100mbps-desktop-switch-6935364020064.html?gclid=CKm97t2ow7QCFaTMtAodcmAAdw

Unless the router has a gigabit port then you will gain zero from this.

To transfer say blu-ray at full 1080p24 needs around 35Mpbs, to use catch up vod at the highest quality needs about 10% of this. Being able to to transfer data from your router to the box at faster speeds than your isp can deliver is just pointless for catch up services.

I have a reasonably fast Virgin Media 20Mbps service, the cat 5 connection and standard 10/100 network switch is 5 times faster than the connection to the internet, it's fast enough for internal streaming of HD content and HD iplayer by a large margin.

Why spend extra money for zero advantage ?
    I was in my local Currys/ PC World store & the 100mb switch from Netgear was £25. For £40 was the Gigabit one. I was highlighting the fact you could get a higher spec one for the same price off Amazon. I see now on the Currys website the Gigabit speed is now £30.
    Thats £5 saving. Its horses for courses , but I always try and get the fastest speed on things possible & within reason
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,973
    Forum Member
    I got one of these. It does the job just as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unmanaged-Desktop-TL-SF1005D-Plastic/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1356939470&sr=1-4

I'm hardly going to be using my xbox, blu-ray and PVR box simultaneously.
  • hoppyhoppy Posts: 414
    Forum Member

could you explain what i would need and how to set up ?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hoppy wrote: »
    could you explain what i would need and how to set up ?
    Homeplugs have a reputation for causing interference to radio equipment in the near vicinity. That could be anything from broadcast frequencies such as FM or DAB or any of the multitude of Ham Radio bands.

However given the numbers of HomePlugs and the like that must be in use in the UK I think that not only has that particular horse long since bolted but the stable has been demolished as well.

If you are able to, then running a cable from the router to wherever the other kit is located would be far cheaper than HomePlugs. You only need a single cable as you can plug a small network switch into the end remote from the router to plug multiple devices in to share the cable link back to the router. For example

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Unmanaged-Desktop-TL-SF1005D-Plastic/dp/B000FNFSPY

As for cable. That will depend on how far you need to run it. And whether you fancy putting plugs on the ends yourself (easy enough with the correct tools) or buy one with plugs already fitted.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Selfish. I run up to 4 at a time. I also use FM and DAB radios in close proximity with no problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    As for cable. That will depend on how far you need to run it. And whether you fancy putting plugs on the ends yourself (easy enough with the correct tools) or buy one with plugs already fitted.

I have a RJ45 compression tool,I find it very fiddly getting all the correct wires into the plug in the right holes and fully inserted before compressing the plug.

It's very easy to fit a socket on each end of the cable though and use a pair of made up patch leads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a RJ45 compression tool,I find it very fiddly getting all the correct wires into the plug in the right holes and fully inserted before compressing the plug.

It's very easy to fit a socket on each end of the cable though and use a pair of made up patch leads.

I prefer to do this as well. Its easier then using a crimping tool for those that have never used one before
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Selfish. I run up to 4 at a time. I also use FM and DAB radios in close proximity with no problem.

He's one of the tiny number of people who are obsessive about the faint possibility of interference to other users - notice that he never mentions it's only a faint possibility, but deliberately gives the impression that interference is guaranteed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »

AFAIK, its short wave that is the issue, a problem for those radio ham's out there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    AFAIK, its short wave that is the issue, a problem for those radio ham's out there.

You can tell who they are by the large and very ugly antenna they have :D

None within a mile of where I live, suspect that will apply to most.

No prizes for guessing which poster posted this :D

I had several dishes at that property including a 1 metre steerable. Also had large VHF and UHF TV DX aerials on a rotator on the roof. The new owner was not interested in any of it so it all came down before I left.

I wonder if he had planning consent ?
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's one of the tiny number of people who are obsessive about the faint possibility of interference to other users - notice that he never mentions it's only a faint possibility, but deliberately gives the impression that interference is guaranteed.

I figured as much, after a little research. Why do you think I don't mind labelling myself as selfish? :D
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And as I alluded to in my post above there is probably now next to zero chance of doing anything about the problem.

There might have been a few years ago when HomePlugs and the like were brand new tech and not many around. But now there must be tens if not hundreds of thousands of the things in use. I can't see much chance of persuading the owners of those unit to swap them for a bit of wire.

There would be more chance of getting them banned if they were zapping out Eastenders or Corrie on the telly. Which doesn't seem to be happening.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    And as I alluded to in my post above there is probably now next to zero chance of doing anything about the problem.

As there's no real 'problem' with them, then there was never any chance :D