What a load of old crap on the tv tonight..

1235»

Comments

• AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Yup, absolute crap on TV tonight. Love Actually is good but I've seen it a million times and have the DVD. Mrs Brown's Boys is being repeated and it was only shown this week! If the BBC had to repeat something, couldn't they have found something else that was on a good while ago?

I'll watch Secret Fortune later but that's it.

I miss the days when Jonathan Creek and Murder in Mind were on Saturday nights :(

They often repeat shows less than a week after the original transmission.

In case there's anyone who missed it originally or in case a PVR had a clashed recording schedule. like mine did and I don't want to watch those programmes on iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    I have an advantage over you lot.
    Living abroad, I dont have to pay the TV licence fee

Many foreign countries have licence fees.

However, as you don't receive the full service that our licence fee pays for, you can't really make an accurate judgement of what the TVL pays for.

Anyway, this argument encompasses *all* channels, so what your argument regarding the BBC's method of funding has to do with this I've no idea!
  • snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Television hasn't just been poor over this weekend, it's been poor all over Christmas full stop.
    Apart from Doctor Who, I can't think of anything I have seen in the TV listings that has made me think, oooooo can't wait to watch that.
    If you're not a fan of soaps, reality, endless Carry On films and old films that should stay in Noah's ark, you have had it.
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    The stupid thing about last night was that it was not a typical Saturday for most people, i.e. there were lots of people who would normally be out on a Saturday night who weren't, either because they were with family or they were trying to save a bit of money. That would have meant a potentially huge captive TV audience, had the broadcasters realised this and shown some decent quality programmes.

What about those who like those programmes?

They are making programmes for audiences to the best of their abilities, but programme quality is subjective. Some, like yourself, are bound to not like something that someone else likes.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Gave up on the Stephen King "Bag of Bones" - just went on and on. Took to my bed with a good book instead. Rubbish TV again tonight.

The same.

I thought that there's nothing on so I'll give this a go seeing as some were hyping it a bit.
    I was nearly an hour into it and it was dull, dull, dull.
    I would have given it more of a chance but I knew it was going to be on for a total of 3 hours. I just couldn't take anymore of it having given it a chance for an hour.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    I have a little computer program that scrapes the TV schedules. It then removes all the repeats, sports, soaps, celebs, reality, children's stuff, game/quiz shows and news broadcasts. After that it tells me what might *just* be worth watching - usually 4 or more programmes a day. It always dips down over christmas and it usually reports fewer shows at weekends, too. But a couple of times recently (including christmas day) it came up blank: nothing at all. Not even the computer thinks there's anything worth watching on telly :o

Really? What computer program is this? I'm curious.
    Is it free and something I can download?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    CITV did produce a lot of quality children's television which millions enjoyed. That's why it was produced. A bit like that TISWAS Reunited show they did 5 years ago. A one-off is not scraping the barrel at all.

Celebrity Wrestling and Love Island - now *THEY* were scraping the barrel!!!

You're one of the few that didn't watch CITV or its ITV predecessors.

I was more of a CBBC kid (split about 70/30 between CBBC and CITV), but in retrospect, I accept that a lot of CITV's output was better than what I used to watch.

Get Your Own Back??? Fun House was better.

Bananaman vs. Dangermouse? Dangermouse hands down. No contest.

Did CBBC have an equivalent of Knightmare, for example? Or of How/How 2?

Celebrity Love Island was the pits and quite possibly the worst television show of all time. I have never seen such a pile of trash in my life.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    It is absolutely rubbish tonight, and i don't even have anything recorded as i have watched it all. Turned on the Superstars show to see what its like, and i fancy the Pierce Brosnan show that I think is called :Bag of Bones' on later.

I thought bag of bones might be worth watching. What a load of tosh.. Boring .
  • eviled2010eviled2010 Posts: 23,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »

I watched it...should have been called "Ghosts A-Go-Go"...never seen so many bleedin' ghosts in me life!
    None of 'em scary unfortunately.
    Tosh as you say!
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness for catch-up, my Sky+ and my growing blu-ray collection... Otherwise my tv would never be switched on really.

Reading a few books at the moment too...

TV really is a lot of wank these days
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, another terrible day and evening of TV lined up. The only (possible) saving grace could be Ripper Street on BBC1 at 9pm. I'm hoping it turns out to be worth the wait.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linnylou wrote: »
    Again, another terrible day and evening of TV lined up. The only (possible) saving grace could be Ripper Street on BBC1 at 9pm. I'm hoping it turns out to be worth the wait.

Yup, Ripper Street looks brilliant I have to say :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am watching the hotel now.. The. Ripper street. Better than last night.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Yup, Ripper Street looks brilliant I have to say :)

Is this not going to be the same as White Chapel :confused:

Sounds just like it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »

It certainly was
  • Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last nights TV (and indeed TV for this Christmas period) has been dire. Last night, I struggled and the best thing on was the Maria von Trapp documentary. But that was where it peaked. The Freddie doc was a repeat with more bits added in and Bag of Bones was a terrible dirge.

Can't believe the best itv had to offer was bloody Love Actually. :yawn:

In the end a DVD and a book won out.

Ripper Street tonight was a bit meh, but watchable. Looking forward to The Last Leg on C4 later. :D Love Adam, Alex and Josh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Years Eve television has largely been dire over the years. Anyone willing to sit through Andy Stewart in his kilt trilling Scottish songs again?
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    New Years Eve television has largely been dire over the years. Anyone willing to sit through Andy Stewart in his kilt trilling Scottish songs again?

ohhhhhh Andy Stewart...................yikes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hooter wrote: »
    ohhhhhh Andy Stewart...................yikes

I am a soldier, a Scottish soldier, these are my land hills, grrrr. Now my special guests Moira Anderson and Jimmy Shand singing Hogmanay music. I would think mentioning this in Scotland now would send shudders down the spine of anyone over 45, a bit like suggesting STV bring back Take The High Road.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,235
    Forum Member
    Another shocking line-up tonight! ITV are wheeling out an old Benidorm Xmas Special, at a time of year when even Santa and the Elves aren't feeling festive!

at least Channel4 are making things slightly more interesting by 'mashing-up' their shows and having the presenters swap shows for the evening.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oranges71 wrote: »
    Yeah. I watched Carry On Camping, but they cut out all the dirty bits! I can understand them cutting out the nudist camp bit at the beginning but they also cut out bits of Barbara Windsor fighting with Anna Karen (Olive from On The Buses)

itv must have 2 versions of Carry On Camping, as I have seen it with The dirty bits and without, recently with (I assume you are talking about:
    The Paradise nudist Camp Film
    All Asses must be shown, "where's the owner?, he's gone for a P",
    Barbara Windsor losing her bikini top, "Take Them Away Matron"

I noticed recently a Carry On Film on itv player and no ads (on Freesat) (itv own the Rank Carry On's)