Pacific Rim is so going to flop..

1789101113»

Comments

• varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has a sequel been greenlit?

$408m actually isn't that bad for a franchise starter, and Warners could argue the film was another victim of the summer's overcrowded schedule.

Question is: where can they take it? Not that 'more of the same' has bothered other franchises of course.

No I don't think so and personally I don't think there should be one because it started and ended on good notes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    GDT says he has an idea for a sequel, but nothing has been greenlit (perhaps they're waiting on home media)...

And to make a profit you need to make double the production budget and marketing budget. The production budget is known to be $190m, it made $407m. Warner Bros. got around $203.5m from the film. Subtract the $190m spent making it and you're left with $13.5m, there's no way spent that or less on marketing.

To put it simply $190m is far too expensive for an original property, especially one which is being marketed with the bad (but not quite so bad it's good) line "Today we cancelling the apocalypse",

Unless Warner Bros. only spent $13.5m on marketing it worldwide, it has not turned a profit yet. It almost certainly will with home video, but it's not quite out the woods yet.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDT says he has an idea for a sequel, but nothing has been greenlit (perhaps they're waiting on home media)...

And to make a profit you need to make double the production budget and marketing budget. The production budget is known to be $190m, it made $407m. Warner Bros. got around $203.5m from the film. Subtract the $190m spent making it and you're left with $13.5m, there's no way spent that or less on marketing.

To put it simply $190m is far too expensive for an original property, especially one which is being marketed with the bad (but not quite so bad it's good) line "Today we cancelling the apocalypse",

Unless Warner Bros. only spent $13.5m on marketing it worldwide, it has not turned a profit yet. It almost certainly will with home video, but it's not quite out the woods yet.

regardless the sequel looks set to go ahead

GDT hinted that it may center around the funny proffesser newt guy as a villain as he has drifted with the kajee now.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Hollywood" really will take anything nowadays, a sequel to a flop.

Presumably because there is an audience for a sequel and a lower budget will allow some kind of profit this time.
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    "Hollywood" really will take anything nowadays, a sequel to a flop.

Presumably because there is an audience for a sequel and a lower budget will allow some kind of profit this time.

It's not really a flop. It's unsuccessful, because it's hasn't grossed it's marketing budget back, but it's hardly a career ending failure of epic proportions. Thomas Tull has that kind of money to waste...
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Yeah a flop is a film that loses money which Pacific Rim has not done.Maybe the name of this thread needs to be changed!
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Yeah a flop is a film that loses money which Pacific Rim has not done.Maybe the name of this thread needs to be changed!

Arguably it has lost money, but not enough to be a flop...
  • MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I do agree with it not flopping. I can't wait for Godzila!
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this last night. Liked the idea of monsters Vs robots, and the fight scenes were excellent.

However a lot of the storyline and dialogue was terrible. I can do 'suspend disbelief, comic book style action sci-fi' and I can do 'realistic save the world from the bad guys' but this seemed to be a mish-mash of both that didn't quite gel together really well.

Those scientists were bloody annoying as well. Cliche central.

Its annoying, because this film should/could have been so much better.

Saying that, its worth watching and I would give it 7/10.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just rented this on my XBox - thought it was awesome! I had so so expectations because big gigantic monsters do not appeal to me - I hated Godzilla back in the day. Seems to have done well everywhere apart from in its home country which I find odd.