Star Wars VII - To be released a day earlier in the UK

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
Forum Member
✭✭
Great news. :D
It's been confirmed Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens will be released in the UK on 17 December, a day earlier than previously announced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34183688/uk-star-wars-release-date-brought-forward.

100 days to go >:(:D

Comments

• Daniel_Evans2Daniel_Evans2 Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    but france will get it the day before us boooooo
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I know it's good that we get it before the U.S but I'm slightly gutted as I had booked the 18th December off work to see the new Star Wars film and now it's out a day earlier!
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But then you have the following day to spend hours online talking about it....!
  • Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Spectre is going to blow this movie out of the water.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Ben_Caesar wrote: »
    In a galaxy far, far away....
    Forum Member
    In a galaxy far, far away....

Oh you're so witty Johnny boy, you really are... Anyway let's see, Spectre is directed by one of the most talented directors of his generation in Sam Mendes. JJ Abrams is merely just a wannabe Spielberg (and Spielberg himself is mediocre). Skyfall was critically acclaimed and was a proper film with a great thespian cast, a director of real artistic integrity and was shot by arguably the greatest cinematographer alive in Roger Deakins.

Star Wars 7 will merely just be a 'fun' blockbuster for the kiddies :D
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh you're so witty Johnny boy, you really are... Anyway let's see, Spectre is directed by one of the most talented directors of his generation in Sam Mendes. JJ Abrams is merely just a wannabe Spielberg (and Spielberg himself is mediocre). Skyfall was critically acclaimed and was a proper film with a great thespian cast, a director of real artistic integrity and was shot by arguably the greatest cinematographer alive in Roger Deakins.

Skyfall was boring and nonsensical. If a film is going to be nonsensical, I'd rather watch it in the form of an epic space opera.

What's so grown up about Bond movies anyway? An unpleasant man kills a bunch of people and has sex with random women. I'm not seeing the point of being so patronising over a Bond film.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

I hope so, as that is what they were always intended to be.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I assume you mean in terms of box-office sales?

I'm a huge Bond fan but sorry, there's no way this will happen. Star Wars is so much bigger than Bond, and there is SO much hype behind this new movie. The Force Awakens will easily be the highest-grossing movie of 2015.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rumour: The Force Awakens will include an end credits tease for Rogue One.
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Skyfall was boring and nonsensical. If a film is going to be nonsensical, I'd rather watch it in the form of an epic space opera.

What's so grown up about Bond movies anyway? An unpleasant man kills a bunch of people and has sex with random women. I'm not seeing the point of being so patronising over a Bond film.

Nonsensical? As opposed to the terrible acting and dialogue in all 6 Star Wars movies to date.
    bass55 wrote: »
    I assume you mean in terms of box-office sales?

I'm a huge Bond fan but sorry, there's no way this will happen. Star Wars is so much bigger than Bond, and there is SO much hype behind this new movie. The Force Awakens will easily be the highest-grossing movie of 2015.

Well I was actually mainly referring to quality since I don't really give a crap about box office figures too much. Sam Mendes is a legitimately great director unlike hack studio boy Abrams. But OK, let's talk about box office for a second. What is the highest grossing movie in UK box office history? It's none of the Star Wars movies. It's none of the mediocre Marvel movies. It's none of the Harry Potter movies. Heck it's not even Avatar. Skyfall is the highest grossing movie in British box office history and it wasn't even filmed in 3D. Yeah in terms of worldwide sales Star Wars should make even more than Spectre but in this country, Bond remains king and Spectre will blow it away :cool:
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Wow. Some people get really protective over their favourite films. :D
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Rumour: The Force Awakens will include an end credits tease for Rogue One.

I hope it doesn't actually because it might end up being confusing for the audience, being in a different era than the plots of 7, 8 and 9

I think they should be completely standalone, in the marketing as well.

It's Disney though, so...
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Can't wait.
    Anticipation continues apace. Let's hope it's rewarded.

Though I'm no fan of JJ Abrams, and found the Star Wars cultural impact maybe more interesting than the films themselves, I do actually hope all concerned have knocked this one out of the park.

I say this because many of today's blockbusters don't seem to want to exceed themselves. It's not that they're bad - they're far too efficient for that - but like some loafing student, both Age of Ultron and Jurassic World do little more than what's required to gain a pass.

Perhaps it's time for something to raise the bar, set a better example etc, and it would be fitting if Star Wars - which in some ways cut the path all these things follow - did just that. If Star Wars 7 is great, everybody wins.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Haha, the random, unrelated Bond mention is like when Rugby Unions fans appear on Facebook with memes about Footballers being prima donnas and Rugby players being real men - totally unprovoked, and nobody is interested.
    Forum Member
    Anticipation continues apace. Let's hope it's rewarded.

Though I'm no fan of JJ Abrams, and found the Star Wars cultural impact maybe more interesting than the films themselves, I do actually hope all concerned have knocked this one out of the park.

I say this because many of today's blockbusters don't seem to want to exceed themselves. It's not that they're bad - they're far too efficient for that - but like some loafing student, both Age of Ultron and Jurassic World do little more than what's required to gain a pass.

Perhaps it's time for something to raise the bar, set a better example etc, and it would be fitting if Star Wars - which in some ways cut the path all these things follow - did just that. If Star Wars 7 is great, everybody wins.

Everything I have heard and read about Ep7 makes me think it's going to be something special. I like how the producers seem to have ignored any stylistic influences from the prequel trilogy and have set about making a proper 1970s/80s-style Star Wars film. I think being faithful to that as well as adding a fresh spin on things will make The Force Awakens a bit of a classic. So yes, I'm setting the bar very high.
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »

That's one of the many reasons why I hated the prequels. They were too skewed towards being silly and child-friendly (but strangely mixed with boring politics).

The original trilogy weren't kids films - they were effectively comic book movies, accessible to people of all ages.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    The Force Awakens will easily be the highest-grossing movie of 2015.
    Not necessarily I don't think. Its success isn't up for dispute and it's going to do very well, but it has various factors against it. It's being released right on top of Christmas for one thing but its earlier release dates mean it's still school term time for the majority of kids - and so that drives down family numbers who may well wait until the other side of Christmas, possibly New Year, before facing the crowds and making a dent in the wallet to see it.

It should also be considered that Star Wars is a little bit more niche than some of the other big, mainstream films that have done well this year. Like or loathe them (and I love them) the Jurassic Park films are that little bit more accessible in terms of genre and appeal to people than Star Wars. And despite loving Jurassic World, I can subjectively understand it's the broad appeal of dinosaurs after a relatively well received trilogy (the previous sequels don't compare to the original at all, but they still go down well with most people) as well as the more accessible summer film season are what helped it earn what it did. Additionally, there may still be a bit of a sour taste from people over the prequels - it's hard to say about that one, but you look at the performance of the previous films...Revenge of the Sith never made the top ten highest grossing films (currently sitting at 43rd) whilst Attack of the Clones is nowhere to be seen.

I do think the film will do phenomenally well, and may well get a boost depending on the reviews that determines its fate. I don't know if it'll be able to top either Jurassic World, Furious 7 or even indeed Avengers 2... it's a very unpredictle circumstance. The films have all earned so much though that it's a tough competiton, for arguably one of the more niche films in that set, and released at the most tricky time of the year - December releases never earn quite so much, but then you're guaranteed dominance of the cinema if you release a winter film.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily I don't think. Its success isn't up for dispute and it's going to do very well, but it has various factors against it. It's being released right on top of Christmas for one thing but its earlier release dates mean it's still school term time for the majority of kids - and so that drives down family numbers who may well wait until the other side of Christmas, possibly New Year, before facing the crowds and making a dent in the wallet to see it.

It should also be considered that Star Wars is a little bit more niche than some of the other big, mainstream films that have done well this year. Like or loathe them (and I love them) the Jurassic Park films are that little bit more accessible in terms of genre and appeal to people than Star Wars. And despite loving Jurassic World, I can subjectively understand it's the broad appeal of dinosaurs after a relatively well received trilogy (the previous sequels don't compare to the original at all, but they still go down well with most people) as well as the more accessible summer film season are what helped it earn what it did. Additionally, there may still be a bit of a sour taste from people over the prequels - it's hard to say about that one, but you look at the performance of the previous films...Revenge of the Sith never made the top ten highest grossing films (currently sitting at 43rd) whilst Attack of the Clones is nowhere to be seen.

I do think the film will do phenomenally well, and may well get a boost depending on the reviews that determines its fate. I don't know if it'll be able to top either Jurassic World, Furious 7 or even indeed Avengers 2... it's a very unpredictle circumstance. The films have all earned so much though that it's a tough competiton, for arguably one of the more niche films in that set, and released at the most tricky time of the year - December releases never earn quite so much, but then you're guaranteed dominance of the cinema if you release a winter film.

AFAIK all Box Office takings are counted in the year of release, which is why American Sniper was the biggest grossing film of 2014 in the US even though it only got a limited release on Christmas Day and made most of its money in 2015.

Comparison with the prequels is not exact. The reputation of Phantom Menace hurt the takings of the following two (better) films, and as stated elsewhere there was greater competition from LOTR and Harry Potter. However the reputation of the Jurassic Park sequels failed to dent JW.

Star Wars is hardly niche, I can't see it failing to beat JW unless it's a complete stinker.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might actually make the effort to see this one at the cinema. Long time since I've been there.
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if a bookie would take a bet on it being the second highest grossing film of all time.

I'm convinced it will be, people want to see what became if Luke, Han and Lea.
    Forum Member
    Might actually make the effort to see this one at the cinema. Long time since I've been there.

Make sure you take plenty of money. Gone up a bit since.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Midnight showing, here I come!
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the poster, who claims spectre will blow, this out of the water, box office wise

seriously what is he on

this will do, spectacular business, in part, because of new audiences found through the mediocre prequels, to every kid who saw the originals and loved them, and that is quite a large number worldwide

not to mention, repeat viewings, I can imagine most fans, who are in a sense reliving their chidhood and the magic of that, going more than once