Options

Am i the only one..........

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a good singer and is a pleasant man. But when he's being Adam (i.e. not singing/performing) he comes across as boring to me. All the other contestants seem fun when they're not behind the mic, but he's the oposite: he's fun behind the mic and boring elsewhere. He'd be better in theatre, really. His voice is great but a little screechy at times. And some of his hardcore fans can get really scary if anyone says anything remotely bad about him and it really puts me off liking him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a good singer and is a pleasant man. But when he's being Adam (i.e. not singing/performing) he comes across as boring to me. All the other contestants seem fun when they're not behind the mic, but he's the oposite: he's fun behind the mic and boring elsewhere. He'd be better in theatre, really. His voice is great but a little screechy at times. And some of his hardcore fans can get really scary if anyone says anything remotely bad about him and it really puts me off liking him.

I've noticed that a lot on these forums - people getting very 'passionate' about people they like. Not just on AI but across the boards. Equally I have seen some completely unnecessary nastiness towards artists posters don't like. There are several contestants who don't appeal to me on AI but I wouldn't dream of posting anything about them - I prefer to support those I do like rather than slate those I don't.

Don't let a few people put you off! They are in a minority!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that because of his on stage persona people get the impression that he's bit headed or diva like but off stage he seems quite reserved (I wouldn't call him boring ...lol). I've seen a lot of interviews where he seems a lot of fun, very articulate, but not as in your face as some of the others, like what you would expect him to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The reason Adam is getting so much attention is not just due to his exceptional voice and excellent performance skills but also because he is the only one who seems remotely interesting off stage as well as on. Allison seems quite funny and Kris in an annoying little brother type of way but the others make ditchwater look sparkling.

Do give me a break. He'd be better in theatre? Screachy voice? Are the criticisms from anyone ever going to be original?

Not liking someone because of their fans is pretty odd too. I just don't get that. If I like or don't like a contestant in anything I couldn't care less what anyone else who likes them or doesn't like them is like. It's the contestant I'm supporting not their fans.
    diamond1 wrote: »
    I think that because of his on stage persona people get the impression that he's bit headed or diva like but off stage he seems quite reserved (I wouldn't call him boring ...lol). I've seen a lot of interviews where he seems a lot of fun, very articulate, but not as in your face as some of the others, like what you would expect him to be.

People on these shows can't win. If they are too outgoing, bubbly, chatty, emotional, they are annoying and arrogant. If they are softly spoken, eloquent, polite and professional, they are boring.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EJ1 wrote: »
    I've noticed that a lot on these forums - people getting very 'passionate' about people they like. Not just on AI but across the boards. Equally I have seen some completely unnecessary nastiness towards artists posters don't like. There are several contestants who don't appeal to me on AI but I wouldn't dream of posting anything about them - I prefer to support those I do like rather than slate those I don't.

Don't let a few people put you off! They are in a minority!

Me three. I just can't go on certain boards on threads any more because the OTT-ness either way is starting to get ridiculous now. And this board has MUCH more nastiness this year than ever before, especially against those who a poster seems to perceive as a threat to their favourite. Some don't seem to get that slagging others off isn't the best way to support who they like.

And what the hell is it with all these 'smug' accusations? This board seems to have caught the smug-itus prevalent on the SCD board this year. Apparently, everyone on that show was smug in the last series. :rolleyes:

To get this thread back on topic, I don't think I can get that excited about Adam because I've not got any confidence in the music he'll release afterwards. He's not going to be able to do the Cook-esque main stream style rock (he's got the wrong voice for it and it's not 'him') but I can't for one moment see AI releasing a glam rock or hard rock style album.

Nickelback are a great example. Their albums are almost split into two; the 'nice' songs like Photograph and Rockstar mixed in with dirty, sexy hard rock like 'Animals'. Guess which ones they release for radio though?

Adam would be best on a 'proper' rock album. His 'Crawl Thru Fire' song is where he's best. But there's no way he's going to be allowed to release that - it's just not mainstream enough. I mean, just look at the charts and see what sort of stuff sells...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All sorts of stuff sells these days, more than ever actually, and what doesn't sell is mainly down to not being very good, regardless of its genre, or not being sufficiently promoted.

Funny that you should refer to Nickelback as DC's album gets a lot of criticism for being Nickelbackesque.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously? I think he's the most charismatic of the bunch. He's hilarious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Me three. I just can't go on certain boards on threads any more because the OTT-ness either way is starting to get ridiculous now. And this board has MUCH more nastiness this year than ever before, especially against those who a poster seems to perceive as a threat to their favourite. Some don't seem to get that slagging others off isn't the best way to support who they like.

And what the hell is it with all these 'smug' accusations? This board seems to have caught the smug-itus prevalent on the SCD board this year. Apparently, everyone on that show was smug in the last series. :rolleyes:

To get this thread back on topic, I don't think I can get that excited about Adam because I've not got any confidence in the music he'll release afterwards. He's not going to be able to do the Cook-esque main stream style rock (he's got the wrong voice for it and it's not 'him') but I can't for one moment see AI releasing a glam rock or hard rock style album.

Nickelback are a great example. Their albums are almost split into two; the 'nice' songs like Photograph and Rockstar mixed in with dirty, sexy hard rock like 'Animals'. Guess which ones they release for radio though?

Adam would be best on a 'proper' rock album. His 'Crawl Thru Fire' song is where he's best. But there's no way he's going to be allowed to release that - it's just not mainstream enough. I mean, just look at the charts and see what sort of stuff sells...
    A lot of his fans are wondering whether he's better off not winning since 19E are obviously not going to give him much freedom. I want him to though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of his fans are wondering whether he's better off not winning since 19E are obviously not going to give him much freedom. I want him to though.

Regardless of whether he wins or not, he is going to get a contract with them so what's the difference? He may as well be the (deserved) winner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    His the deserved winner in your opinion

I think other people equally deserve to win
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously? I think he's the most charismatic of the bunch. He's hilarious.

Some of his interviews .. especially the one's when he just got through to the final 13 show he has a very sharp wit ad a wicked sense of humour. I agree he has great charisma, sometimes being fun doesn't mean you have to be jumping around all the time pulling funny faces.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree he has great charisma, sometimes being fun doesn't mean you have to be jumping around all the time pulling funny faces.:D

I can think of a contestant who does that a lot of the time but sadly has the charisma of a flea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I totally agree with everything you said! Adam's on stage appearance means some people expect him to be a diva off stage, but from what I've seen of him he seems very down to earth and able to laugh at himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ibeca wrote: »
    All sorts of stuff sells these days, more than ever actually, and what doesn't sell is mainly down to not being very good, regardless of its genre, or not being sufficiently promoted.

Not true. It's down to popularity of genre. And, the genre that Adam seems to work best in doesn't sell that great as singles.

Take the Foo Fighters for instance. I've chosen them because they are one of the biggest rock bands in the world. They've got a very famous lead singer. They are totally awesome (I know, I saw them live at Wembley). But even with all their clout, they could only reach 37 in the charts with The Pretender, the big single off their current album.

Adam's 'Crawl Thru Fire' song is a great track and suits him well but he's not going to be allowed to do stuff like that. They're going to have to 'nice him up' - again to look at Nickelback, nicey nicey 'Photograph' charts at 2, hard and dirty 'Animals' charts at 97, even though the latter is the better song.

Adam has the hype of Idol around him right now but I'm not entirely convinced they can make him into the mainstream artist they want. Nor do I think he'll actually make any decent music that way.

He should be a rock artist. I can see them pushing him down the pop/dance route.
    Funny that you should refer to Nickelback as DC's album gets a lot of criticism for being Nickelbackesque.

Don't why, Nickelback are one of the few rock bands whose music sells well in both singles and albums. They're great at making songs that work in both markets and are incredible live (going to see them again at the O2 in May).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see any smugness or big headedess from Adam in this video where he talks about living in the idol mansion .. he also seems to get on well with the others and join in the fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qcM9TW0Wk
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think lots of Adam fans are worried about what might happen if he wins - I actually fear SC would make him sing Unchained Melody!! He is very different to any other AI contestants - that said he is not daft and must have known that when he entered the competition he ran the risk of being 'sanitsed.'

Perhaps it's not the recording contract he's after really - but a big career on Broadway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's said in interviews that it's the making his own album and the live touring the country that he's after so I think he's in it for other reasons than moving up in the threatre world ... and if you think of it it seems his preferred singing style wouldn't really fit in with many Broadway shows. He's said that theatre was his bread and butter, something to pay the bills so I do think that he want's to do more than theatre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think lots of Adam fans are worried about what might happen if he wins - I actually fear SC would make him sing Unchained Melody!! He is very different to any other AI contestants - that said he is not daft and must have known that when he entered the competition he ran the risk of being 'sanitsed.'

Oh I think he's totally savvy. I just don't see how they can sanitise him and still have him making music in the genre he suits.

It works with the likes of Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and David Cook - they can do slightly more pop versions of their genre for that first album. I'm hoping then that Cook, like Clarkson, gets back to his roots a little more for the second.

What do you do with Adam though? You can't do pop glam rock!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's not the recording contract he's after really - but a big career on Broadway.

Actually no, that's not the case at all. He has said as much in an interview. I will try to look for it.
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Oh I think he's totally savvy. I just don't see how they can sanitise him and still have him making music in the genre he suits.

It works with the likes of Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and David Cook - they can do slightly more pop versions of their genre for that first album. I'm hoping then that Cook, like Clarkson, gets back to his roots a little more for the second.

What do you do with Adam though? You can't do pop glam rock!

Adam is the most versatile of the contestants you have mentioned. I don't see any reason why they and he can't do what on earth they like. Basically winning/getting far in these contests is just a high profile foot in the door.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Adam has a great recording voice and don't see that he has to be marketed as any specific genre .. OK he's not goint to go down the country route but I bet there are a lot of peope who would buy his album without it having to be categorised under a particular name such as pop or rock or whatever .. if it's good music people will buy it no matter what they call it. I don't see him as a heavy rock artist but the "pop" genre is very wide so I don't see why he can't fit in there whether he does pop/rock/glamrock or more dance type music
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    He could always go the Jonas Brothers route, I mean in all fairness Jonas Brothers is targeted at younger women, teens. Adam seems to have got the older women on his side if I'm not mistaken, he could do those kind of pop songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ibeca wrote: »
    Adam is the most versatile of the contestants you have mentioned. I don't see any reason why they and he can't do what on earth they like.

The 19E sales machine for a start. They'll want him in a genre with easy and high sales. That, unfortunately, doesn't seem to include the genre he's best at. His 'bread and butter' style is not mainstream enough for them to 'allow' it. Doesn't matter how good he is at it, it won't sell as much. There are some simply incredible rock bands out there (think the likes of Velvet Revolver) who simply don't make a dent in the charts no matter how good they are. It's just not that kind of music.

So, what do they do? Let Adam do what he wants and hope people like him enough to see beyond the genre? Or take the safe route and give him some disco/dance pop type stuff to sing?
    I think Adam has a great recording voice and don't see that he has to be marketed as any specific genre...

Thing is though, he is going to end up in a genre because if he doesn't it's going to make his album very hard to market and sell. Hard rock fans might be put off by the pop or dance tracks and vice versa.

I personally think the genre of music he'd should be singing is not what AI/19E are looking for. I'd be fascinated to see how his vote held up if he came on stage and did a proper glam rock performance. I think I'd like it more than most of his other stuff - not sure about the US public as a whole though!

My biggest concern with Adam post Idol is that they'll steer him towards the pop/dance category and what a damn waste that would be. As I've said, his one song I've heard like that is bloody awful imo!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    I think Adam has a great recording voice and don't see that he has to be marketed as any specific genre .. OK he's not goint to go down the country route but I bet there are a lot of peope who would buy his album without it having to be categorised under a particular name such as pop or rock or whatever .. if it's good music people will buy it no matter what they call it. I don't see him as a heavy rock artist but the "pop" genre is very wide so I don't see why he can't fit in there whether he does pop/rock/glamrock or more dance type music

Yep and thats the thing with him- his style is very unique, so he doesnt really need to be catergorised under one style. His style is a mix of styles- abit of rock/ glam rock, abit of pop, abit of theatre, abit of middle eastern influence= adam lambert style.

If he has to be pigeon-holed then i think the rock- alot of which will be in his OTT strle, with softer songs like tracks of my tears. Ledzepplin had the obvious rock songs and the toned down ballads like stairway to heaven- which was the most commercially popular song. I dont see why adam cant do something similar. The alblum will have 12 songs aprox- not all have to be released- release the most commercially viable ones and leave the others in the lambert style.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gj3 wrote: »
    He could always go the Jonas Brothers route, I mean in all fairness Jonas Brothers is targeted at younger women, teens. Adam seems to have got the older women on his side if I'm not mistaken, he could do those kind of pop songs.

:eek:

That's EXACTLY what I'm worried they will do with him. Turn him into insipid mainstream crap.