Options

Karma Coming back to bite Scotland on the arse?

2»

Comments

• Options
    FlyWhoBuggedMeFlyWhoBuggedMe Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Some thick university educated thick tosser recently said that 2010 was one of the warmest years on record, :eek: bollocks i say and the current weather along with the cold spring and abysmal summer are proof that climate change champions are just lying little sad freaks with no friends/life.
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine in Edinburgh sat on a bus for three hours yesterday to get to work. Usually a ten mile trip.

I wouldn't sit on a bus for that long. You never know what germs people have.

A bus, you say?? Lucky them!! :D

My OH cycled a round trip of 24 miles in t'snow to get to work each day last week. He has lives to save!! :D
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an absolute nightmare here yesterday, i know of several people who were stuck in buses or cars for up to 12 hours. No food, drink, had to pee at the side of the road, minus 10 temperatures. No gritters could get through, no police or emergency services there to reassure them or give any assistance. Its actually shocking in this day and age that we are surprised when snow like this hits and the whole transport structure grinds to a halt.
  • Options
    _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    For some reason, when the OP mentioned karma I thought this thread was going to suggest that the recent spell of bad weather was in some way punishment for the release of the Lockerbie bomber :o

Haggis eating compassion monkeys :p
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    I remember when I was living in Glasgow, trying to get my car up the hill - you had to take a run at it, quick swing round the corner as fast as you could, then hope that your speed would take you most of the way up! These days I'd be too terrified to do it!

I had to do that to drive to work this morning. I've been watching other people do it all last week and didn't have the guts, but I'm sick of wading through 2ft deep snow and getting my feet soaked, so over the weekend I dug out my car and I've been taking it for a spin this week.
  • Options
    AhlSAhlS Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    For those who were unsure, a couple of example of Scots being just a little smug last December. I'm sure these feelings responding to southerners getting stuck for hours were not held by the whole Scottish nation though.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=37440010&postcount=44

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=37450705&postcount=130
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AhlS wrote: »
    For those who were unsure, a couple of example of Scots being just a little smug last December. I'm sure these feelings responding to southerners getting stuck for hours were not held by the whole Scottish nation though.

"Here in Aberdeen, We are used to snow more than the English would."- A sensible statement no gloating at all I also can't find much gloating in the second article either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How sad!

What's wrong with what the first quote says? Aberdeen gets more snow than England. That smug swine, he deserves to spend the night stuck in a snow drift with no food, water or shelter.
  • Options
    AhlSAhlS Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    whip wrote: »
    "Here in Aberdeen, We are used to snow more than the English would."- A sensible statement no gloating at all I also can't find much gloating in the second article either.

I never said gloating.

Fair enough that first one could be interpreted differently .

The second was not gloating, but in my opinion pretty smug that Inverness drivers would not 'needlessly' get stuck because they all drive sensibly in snow up there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said gloating.

The second was not gloating, but in my opinion pretty smug that Inverness drivers would not 'needlessly' get stuck because they all drive sensibly in snow up there.

There's a world of difference between "driving sensibly in snow" and not being able to drive at all because the roads have not been ploughed/gritted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennymoo wrote: »
    I'm Scottish, and I've never said that England can't cope with snow. I've never heard anyone say it either. It's pretty bad form to gloat at people trapped overnight in cars, in -10 temperatures, no matter where they come from.

I'm Scottish and I've said the entire UK can't cope with it (Italy, Canda, Russia have had worse weather, and none of their roads blocked or flights canceled).

So yes we're terrible.

I don't know why the OP is making a massive sweeping generalization about the "Scottish stance" on this, as if we are one unified body of opinion. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said gloating.

Uhm...they not teach you any "English" in school? ;)

Gloat
    /gloʊt/ Show Spelled[gloht] Show IPA
    –verb (used without object)
    1.to look at or think about with great or excessive, often smug or malicious, satisfaction: The opposing team gloated over our bad luck.

Or in other words smug and gloating are one and the same thing. :o
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I'm Scottish and I've said the entire UK can't cope with it (Italy, Canda, Russia have had worse weather, and none of their roads blocked or flights canceled).

So yes we're terrible.

To be fair, I think we struggle because we're sort of "in the middle" when it comes to weather.

Properly cold countries (Canada, Finland, Russia etc) KNOW they're gonna get bad weather so the government organise things to suit and individuals are prepared for it.
    I mean, once it snows in Norway you know you need to bung a set of spikey tyres on your car and you're good for the next 5 months.

Over here it barely snows at all for 10 years and then, when it DOES snow, the main roads are cleared but the back-roads aren't which means that you can't really fit spikey tyres or snow-chains even if you have them.

In my experience, the rest of Europe (excepting the northern bits) are just as bad as we are.
    The only difference is that they don't make a big fuss about it.
    Instead, they just think "It'sa no possible to worka" and go back in the house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted, couldn't be arsed.
  • Options
    FlyWhoBuggedMeFlyWhoBuggedMe Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Thanks to the council and their bloody speed bumps our area will remain icy until the thaw, reason i'm still up is because we had to go and help dig out an ambulance that got stuck attending a young mum who is about to give birth. Everyone rallied round to get them moving, never saw a stretch of road cleared so fast and all done with care and no fuss at at all.

Going back to the snow plough/bumps issue, well they are to high for the plough to scrape over, one got grounded on a bump on monday.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really?

Do I now have to post all the links that show that many countries have had their problems with the recent snowfall?

This will do for starters http://www.watoday.com.au/environment/weather/heavy-snow-causes-chaos-across-europe-20101202-18h08.html
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Oops looks like people didn't didn't get the thread. oh well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »

What were you hoping for?
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have heard a lot of comments about us soft Southerners because we apparently cant cope with some snow which isnt really true but anyway i do think Scotland needs to put in a bit more money so they can cope with it better themselves after their fiasco in the last few days
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »

No the problem is people did get the thread just didn't agree with you.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in Scotland in over 40 years so not too many people remember anything worse.

Wow those fried mars bars must be more lethal than I thought if there aren't many people over 45 there :eek:
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some thick university educated thick tosser recently said that 2010 was one of the warmest years on record, :eek: bollocks i say and the current weather along with the cold spring and abysmal summer are proof that climate change champions are just lying little sad freaks with no friends/life.

Yeah! I mean who needs trained scientists to gather, analyse and interpret detailed weather data over for a living when we can just look out of the window and deduce global climatic trends based on what the weather happens to be like in our town.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    whip wrote: »
    No the problem is people did get the thread just didn't agree with you.

I had nothing to be agreed with...i asked 3 questions but never gave an opinion.

The point of this thread was in response to other generalisations made last week which were as pointless and void as the one i'm asking about in my OP.
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what the Scottish members here don't realise about the disruption in the South East is that the South East got a lot, lot more snow compared to normal.

And what I think the English members here don't realise about the disruption in Scotland at the moment is that they too have had a lot, lot more snow compared to normal.

An abnormal amount of snow anywhere is going to cause disruption, wherever it is.