Is Cilla Black the most unpleasant person in showbiz?

Comments

• Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ricky Tomlinson is a really ace bloke and a bloody good actor. If I didn't love him before - I'd love him for reading that!

I've heard that he leaves a 'Christmas box' for his postie (possibly other service providers too) a Christmas card Sayinbg 'Christmas My Arse!' enclosing a £20 note!

He really is a nice bloke. I read his autobiography 'Ricky' a while ago, and he really has led an up and down life, but throughout it he has always kept his feet on the ground and as you say, very generous (extremely generous in fact)

And yes, he did mention that Madam Black was not his kind of person. :D
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MJS wrote: »
    Never having met Ms.Black nor seen her shows, nor having any wish to do so, then I have no idea whether she's pleasant or unpleasant.

Why would you think that this thread deserves your "opinion" then? Or are you just so narcissistic that you just had to reply to a thread and person you know nothing about, just to be heard (or should I say, read)?

DS is a baffling place sometimes.
  • LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen that before, but she sounds deluded and up he own behind. I know all celebs will have good days and bad days but it sounds like Cilla only has bad days. What I find unforgivable are the stories of her refusing to talk to staff in shops and getting her PA to speak on her behalf, or her refusal to talk to to work men doing work on her home. Seriously, who the **** does she think she is?

She's always banging on about her Bobby was the only man she'd ever slept with - well back in the 70's where I worked there was guy working there who had been part of the "Liverpool" scene in the early 60's when she was a cloakroom attendant Well it turns out she would s*** anyone with a pulse !! Why lie about it ? it was the Swinging 60's & it seems she was up herself then. Fair play to her she did well to get so far but she should be nicer to her fans, they put her where she is
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LYNN(E) wrote: »
    She's always banging on about her Bobby was the only man she'd ever slept with - well back in the 70's where I worked there was guy working there who had been part of the "Liverpool" scene in the early 60's when she was a cloakroom attendant Well it turns out she would s*** anyone with a pulse !! Why lie about it ? it was the Swinging 60's & it seems she was up herself then. Fair play to her she did well to get so far but she should be nicer to her fans, they put her where she is

I've also heard from various sources that she was allegedly quite the goer in the 60s (as were many). No idea if it's true or not.
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weekly topics about Ms. Black are becoming a regular occurrence.

She's a vile, nasty woman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I believe they hate her just as much up in Liverpool, not least because she claims to love the place so much, yet hasn't been in it for years!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harr123 wrote: »
    I believe they hate her just as much up in Liverpool, not least because she claims to love the place so much, yet hasn't been in it for years!

It was also alleged in the papers that she caused mayhem during the production of a Liverpool-based pantomine in which she was to appear by insisting that all rehearsals take place in London. That required all staff and cast members to commute to the capital. IIRC,
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    It was also alleged in the papers that she caused mayhem during the production of a Liverpool-based pantomine in which she was to appear by insisting that all rehearsals take place in London. That required all staff and cast members to commute to the capital. IIRC,

I take it they had no choice but to give in to such demands,
  • Re-MinderRe-Minder Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have anything good to say about Ms Black? There are several threads on DS asking about the rudest celebrities people have ever met and Cilla's name comes up more than anyone else and none of it is positive, in fact she sounds thoroughly vile and unpleasant. I'd love to know what her problem is? And it's not like she's anything special either, very plain when she was younger and a voice that sounds like a cat being strangled.

I always remember my mum refusing to watch Blind Date or Surprise Surprise because she disliked Cilla so much, guess she was right about her all along eh?

If i gave my opinion about her i may be accused of being a sad,nasty FM.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it they had no choice but to give in to such demands,

Indeed - but the organisers diplomatically claimed that it wasn't all down to her. Apparently it's standard procedure for pantomines to be rehearsed in completely different theatres several hundred miles away, and for all crew and cast to commute for rehearsals. :rolleyes: (It isn't.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lulu is exactly like Ms Slack Alice, in Glasgow Lulu is known as a glasgow bike.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re-Minder wrote: »
    Lulu is exactly like Ms Slack Alice, in Glasgow Lulu is known as a glasgow bike.

Also like Lulu, Cilla is renowned for her disappearing/reappearing accent when it suits her to pretend she's still a woman of the people.
    Forum Member
    Indeed - but the organisers diplomatically claimed that it wasn't all down to her. Apparently it's standard procedure for pantomines to be rehearsed in completely different theatres several hundred miles away, and for all crew and cast to commute for rehearsals. :rolleyes: (It isn't.)

imagine the money all that would have cost, if I had been director I would have basically told her to f off and not darken my stage again, and when she threw her hissy fit she'd have been laughed at! After all there's loads of people out there with more fifty times more talent that they could have cast.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also like Lulu, Cilla is renowned for her disappearing/reappearing accent when it suits her to pretend she's still a woman of the people.

Yep! I've definitely heard her well spoken accent surfacing when appearing on documentaries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imagine the money all that would have cost, if I had been director I would have basically told her to f off and not darken my stage again, and when she threw her hissy fit she'd have been laughed at! After all there's loads of people out there with more fifty times more talent that they could have cast.

Apparently, it peed off many of the cast members who simply couldn't afford the time or money to travel hundreds of miles just for pantomine rehearsals. It suited Cilla, though.
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yep! I've definitely heard her well spoken accent surfacing when appearing on documentaries.

Yes, she's supposed to speak with a fairly posh accent when she's not putting on the 'lorra lorra laughs' professional Scouse. To be honest, I've never heard any other Liverpudlian who sounds remotely like her when she's in Scouse mode.

Incidentally, is this that rarest of DS beasts - a unanimous thread? I haven't seen one single post in defence of this supposed national treasure!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    OK - One thing strikes me here................I don't see any posts from anyone who has actualy met Cilla themselves. They all appear to be from people who have heard from a "distant cousin of their Grandma's dentist" or "read it in the Daily Mail" - well we all know how credible that particular rag is!

Well, I HAVE met Cilla on several occasions over the years and I know that she always spends time after shows etc and chats and signs autographs for the many people who want them. She always thanks people for waiting - and even if that's all part of an act, it's something she doesn't HAVE to do - it's something she CHOOSES to do. She does take an interest in her fans and anyone who attended the Liverpool or Aylesbury pantos in recent years will know how popular they were and will have seen the crowds who waited outside the stage door every night. No one was sent away disappointed to my knowledge.

One example of Cilla's "not so nasty" side involves a friend who came over from Australia to see Cilla in Panto. She met Cilla and chatted several times, Cilla being really touched that someone had travelled so far to see her. A few months later my friend was taken seriously ill and at one stage it seemed as though she might not recover or would have severe disabilities. When Cilla found out about that, she took the trouble to send a personal note and signed photos wishing her well. Happily my friend is recovering now, but that doesn't sound like the actions of a "nasty vile individual" to me!

So..... if you're going to "have a go" - at least make it on the basis of factual information and your personal experiences, and not the second or third hand gossip from obscure contacts or "BA Cabin Crew", because we all know how bitchy and venomous they can be! There's good and bad in all professions and I have witnessed first hand just how rude, offhand and toffee nosed some cabin crew can be. On the other hand, some have been totally helpful, caring and charming.

Live and let live.....speak as you find.......but don't just jump on the bandwagon because someone else is "having a go"!
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenrichlan wrote: »
    OK - One thing strikes me here................I don't see any posts from anyone who has actualy met Cilla themselves. They all appear to be from people who have heard from a "distant cousin of their Grandma's dentist" or "read it in the Daily Mail" - well we all know how credible that particular rag is!

Well, I HAVE met Cilla on several occasions over the years and I know that she always spends time after shows etc and chats and signs autographs for the many people who want them. She always thanks people for waiting - and even if that's all part of an act, it's something she doesn't HAVE to do - it's something she CHOOSES to do. She does take an interest in her fans and anyone who attended the Liverpool or Aylesbury pantos in recent years will know how popular they were and will have seen the crowds who waited outside the stage door every night. No one was sent away disappointed to my knowledge.

One example of Cilla's "not so nasty" side involves a friend who came over from Australia to see Cilla in Panto. She met Cilla and chatted several times, Cilla being really touched that someone had travelled so far to see her. A few months later my friend was taken seriously ill and at one stage it seemed as though she might not recover or would have severe disabilities. When Cilla found out about that, she took the trouble to send a personal note and signed photos wishing her well. Happily my friend is recovering now, but that doesn't sound like the actions of a "nasty vile individual" to me!

So..... if you're going to "have a go" - at least make it on the basis of factual information and your personal experiences, and not the second or third hand gossip from obscure contacts or "BA Cabin Crew", because we all know how bitchy and venomous they can be! There's good and bad in all professions and I have witnessed first hand just how rude, offhand and toffee nosed some cabin crew can be. On the other hand, some have been totally helpful, caring and charming.

Live and let live.....speak as you find.......but don't just jump on the bandwagon because someone else is "having a go"!

Lokking at your 3 posts since 2009 :D I wonder are you related to Our Cilla? Or one of her management team perhaps? :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Cilla having a go at a sales assistant in Harrods back in 1999, barked at her for daring to look her in the eye, swore a few times and called the girl a wage **** or words to that effect, black is a vile miserable git, no wonder her Bobby allegedly strayed during the marriage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kenrichlan wrote: »

What could the BA crew possibly have had to gain from falsifying stories about Cilla's behaviour on flights? If anything, they would have been opening themselves up to charges of libel if they were defaming her unjustly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What could the BA crew possibly have had to gain from falsifying stories about Cilla's behaviour on flights? If anything, they would have been opening themselves up to charges of libel if they were defaming her unjustly.

Well as i can't libel the dead then i can add that Bobby had an affair with a showbiz friend of her for over ten years, she can not be mentioned as she is still alive, Cillla was pretty peeved but they stayed together f9r appearances sake
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well as i can't libel the dead then i can add that Bobby had an affair with a showbiz friend of her for over ten years, she can not be mentioned as she is still alive, Cillla was pretty peeved but they stayed together f9r appearances sake

Scandal a-go-go! :eek: I hope it was Lily Savage. :D
  • MercierMercier Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And more to the point if you are going to falsely slag off someone famous why pick Cilla Black? If it's a tissue of lies blow your snot on Lady Gaga, Adele, Russell Crowe or someone who someone actually gives a shit about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Lokking at your 3 posts since 2009 :D I wonder are you related to Our Cilla? Or one of her management team perhaps? :D:D

No - just someone who doesn't like to see anyone being slagged off on the basis of unfounded rumours and gossip as opposed to facts.:)
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Cilla having a go at a sales assistant in Harrods back in 1999, barked at her for daring to look her in the eye, swore a few times and called the girl a wage **** or words to that effect, black is a vile miserable git, no wonder her Bobby allegedly strayed during the marriage.

If that's true, it puts her in quite a bad light.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, it peed off many of the cast members who simply couldn't afford the time or money to travel hundreds of miles just for pantomine rehearsals. It suited Cilla, though.

Yes, she's supposed to speak with a fairly posh accent when she's not putting on the 'lorra lorra laughs' professional Scouse. To be honest, I've never heard any other Liverpudlian who sounds remotely like her when she's in Scouse mode.

Incidentally, is this that rarest of DS beasts - a unanimous thread? I haven't seen one single post in defence of this supposed national treasure!

It would be more intellectually honest of her to admit she had moved up a class and left her working class roots behind. Speaking in her weird supposedly working class Scouse accent while having lived in a mansion in the south of England for many years with an entourage of middle class assistants makes her look quite ridiculous
This discussion has been closed.