Least favourite heavy metal thing

Comments

• ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    I honestly thought those blokes had done that for a laugh, then i saw the video is actually from a different song, so searched for it, wish i hadn't the benny hill was was much better

They are a comedy act. A total BM pisstake. Their videos are hilarious :D
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Anything in particular?

They were my least favourite heavy metal thing...;)
    Forum Member
    RikScot wrote: »
    They were my least favourite heavy metal thing...;)

Obviously. I was wondering what is was about them that you disliked.

I'm nosy :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Will this do instead? I'm crying here :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT7qfdgdgq4

LMAO! That was brilliant am definitely adding that to my favourites!

This is a belter as well, and probably beyond parody!
    Forum Member
    LMAO! That was brilliant am definitely adding that to my favourites!

This is a belter as well, and probably beyond parody!

Please tell me they're not serious. Another pisstake?

Oh, a bit of Googling reveals that they've headlined at Wacken, so I guess they are serious.

Which just makes it even funnier :D
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    I told someone the other day that I was a metal fan and they said it must make me really angry listening to it all the time.
    I said 'no it makes me happy'. :D Infact I'd probably be angry if I didn't listen to it.
    Will this do instead? I'm crying here :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT7qfdgdgq4

That's brilliant.
    I think one of the worst things you can do, not just in music but in anything, is take yourself too seriously. Because you're just setting yourself up for a fall and there's nothing more therapeutic than laughing at yourself.

Some bands are guilty of taking things too seriously and it can be off-putting if they are like that 100% of the time. They are actually making what they do look like miserable work rather than the exciting or inspiring art they think it is.
    Forum Member
    I told someone the other day that I was a metal fan and they said it must make me really angry listening to it all the time.
    I said 'no it makes me happy'. :D Infact I'd probably be angry if I didn't listen to it.

That's brilliant.
    I think one of the worst things you can do, not just in music but in anything, is take yourself too seriously. Because you're just setting yourself up for a fall and there's nothing more therapeutic than laughing at yourself.

Some bands are guilty of taking things too seriously and it can be off-putting if they are like that 100% of the time. They are actually making what they do look like miserable work rather than the exciting or inspiring art they think it is.

Completely agree. One of the reasons I love Sabaton so much is that they smile, joke around and have fun onstage. I love that attitude & find their obvious enjoyment at performing utterly infectious :)

I'm under the impression that metal bands aren't actually supposed to do that though :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    I honestly thought those blokes had done that for a laugh, then i saw the video is actually from a different song, so searched for it, wish i hadn't the benny hill was was much better

I looked at the real one too :eek: and it's got over 1,800,000 views, :eek:
    Forum Member
    ruffles wrote: »
    I looked at the real one too :eek: and it's got over 1,800,000 views, :eek:

Don't worry, they're a spoof band. A sort of Black Metal version of Spinal Tap :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh, I see now :o
    Forum Member
    ruffles wrote: »
    oh, I see now :o

This one probably makes it more obvious
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh8CfWEnSJ8

This latest music video made by The Black Satans was shot in the mountains of wintery Norway during the darkest time of the year, except that it was in Finland and in midsummer. Nevertheless this is the evilest and blackest black metal music video ever made by The Black Satans.

:D
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    One word...Venom.

Damn, I used to love the classic venom when I was in my teens. Unfortunately I was 5 years too late to see the original lineup in their heyday.

Anyway, my pet hate was/is/and-probably-always-shall-be Metalcore and Screamo stuff.
    I think Brian Posehn had these guys worked out 8 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chiVMrWMHko
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    This one probably makes it more obvious
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh8CfWEnSJ8

This latest music video made by The Black Satans was shot in the mountains of wintery Norway during the darkest time of the year, except that it was in Finland and in midsummer. Nevertheless this is the evilest and blackest black metal music video ever made by The Black Satans.

:D

I literally had tears coming down my face watching that.

Whether it's the angelic tone to the singer's voice, his outfit from 0:32 onwards, the imposing drumkit, the final bit of music............the list goes on.
    I want to be in that band. :D
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have a cassette years ago that had stuff like Napalm Death on it (abcolutely awful to me) but i used to play it really loud as my missus would go mad saying it was utter shite and i would tell her "something wrong with your ears love, can't your hear the melody?":D
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We really only need about seven sub genres in order to give an expectation of what the listener is about to hear. I'd probably go with Black, Death, Speed, Thrash, Power, Folk & Symphonic.

I think the first 4 are ok followed by Metal but the last 3 might be better followed by Rock?

I dislike the Satanic references in Metal music as they are so contrived and meaningless.
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I think the first 4 are ok followed by Metal but the last 3 might be better followed by Rock?

I dislike the Satanic references in Metal music as they are so contrived and meaningless.

No, Power Metal, Folk Metal & Symphonic Metal are definite genres of Metal. Although you're partly right in that there is symphonic & Folk rock but they don't sound like their metal counterparts.
  • Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iron Maiden. I cant stand them.
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lawn mowers, hate the damn noisy things.
    Forum Member
    Iron Maiden. I cant stand them.

:eek: Controversial
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, Power Metal, Folk Metal & Symphonic Metal are definite genres of Metal. Although you're partly right in that there is symphonic & Folk rock but they don't sound like their metal counterparts.

I know the difference but what I was getting at is that Symphonic Metal for example is actually more 'Rock' than the symphonic work of prog bands like Yes, Genesis ELP etc. which were actually generally less rock more symphony.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Least favourite heavy metal thing?

Plutonium. I had that once, pretty damn heavy, sure, but the extreme radioactivity and toxicity weren't my thing personally.
    Forum Member
    I know the difference but what I was getting at is that Symphonic Metal for example is actually more 'Rock' than the symphonic work of prog bands like Yes, Genesis ELP etc. which were actually generally less rock more symphony.

You wouldn't call these metal?

Nightwish - Wish I Had an Angel - Symphonic

How about this?

Korpiklaani - Tequila - Folk

Or this?

Sabaton - Primo Victoria - Power

:confused:

If you're going to discount these then you might as well say Iron Maiden aren't metal either (melodic, clean vocals) & that would be a bit daft, don't you think?

PS I'm guessing Acapella's a definite no no then?

Van Canto - If I Die In Battle :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You wouldn't call these metal?

Nightwish - Wish I Had an Angel - Symphonic

How about this?

Korpiklaani - Tequila - Folk

Or this?

Sabaton - Primo Victoria - Power

:confused:

If you're going to discount these then you might as well say Iron Maiden aren't metal either (melodic, clean vocals) & that would be a bit daft, don't you think?

In the original post I was actually complementing you on your original insight into metal types but suggesting the last three are wider than metal. That doesn't discount any of the symphonic, folk or power metal bands but actually that they seemed truer to the idea of rock music than some of the cross genre experiments from earlier years which in the case of symphonic rock tended more towards complicated, meandering pieces and in the case of folk rock was more like folk pop. You didn't pick up on that obviously.
    Forum Member
    In the original post I was actually complementing you on your original insight into metal types but suggesting the last three are wider than metal. That doesn't discount any of the symphonic, folk or power metal bands but actually that they seemed truer to the idea of rock music than some of the cross genre experiments from earlier years which in the case of symphonic rock tended more towards complicated, meandering pieces and in the case of folk rock was more like folk pop. You didn't pick up on that obviously.

No, I didn't:o I thought you were one of those 'If it doesn't make your ears bleed, it aint metal' types. :D

I'd still argue that those genres are definitely metal though :)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry at any band that uses mysogenistic imagery or has lyrics about either, satan, black magic, sourcery, Valhalla, etc. For god's sake huys, you're grown up adults, not silly little, 14-year-old boys with 666 written on the back of your denim jackets in marker pen.
    So that makes Iron Maiden as pathetic as the rest of them.

The only bands worse than the above are Christian heavy metal bands - truly beyond redemption.