Options

Westboro Baptists' Fred Phelps Sr. "near death"

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Like forming their own neo-Nazi group.
    In fact, you might just have a point as I don't think they believe in god or jesus at all the way they carry on. What they call 'Christian values' most normal, sane, reasonable people'd call extremism and that's when religioin gets dangerous. Look at the Inquisition who tortured innocent people (in the name of God) who dared to think for themselves or questioned what it said in the bible.
    That's when religion gets dangerous.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Sorry I don't agree, watch these two videos, there were from around 1992, they come across then as people who are psychologically disturbed, possibly alcoholics, I don't think there was much logic in what they did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmf-_J3d7Ks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diO4k4n1Wz8

Seriously? I thought that was a comedy show. They themselves seemed to find it hard not to laugh.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Seriously? I thought that was a comedy show. They themselves seemed to find it hard not to laugh.
    Have a watch of the video below, a granddaughter of Fred Phelps who left the church, if it was all a scam I think she would have outed it as such. From her description & how they were only allowed to associate with other church members it is pretty characteristic of a cult. These people put themselves & their children at real risk of attack, I don't think they would do that if money was their goal. I can understand why Christians want to disassociate from them completely, but some of their arguments are based on text in the Bible, they are basically the Christian equivalent of Islamic fundamentalists or Ultra orthodox Jews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjWzC6mVdKM
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    They thrive on your outrage.

Well they're not trying to convert you. Surprising I know. You can count the non Phelps family conversions in the last twenty years on your hands. But then that was never their intent.

They're not hateful. Coldhearted and insensitive scandal mongers yes.

They are hateful. "Soldiers should die, gays should burn in hell" that isn't hate? I'm aware they're not trying to convert me but I dislike anyone who uses religion to force opinions on others. I don't dislike religious people, I just dislike the hateful ones, like the Phelpses who go around telling people who don't support their ideals that they're going to hell. I'm far from outraged, I just think they're horrible and awful people with little respect for their fellow man. In my opinion, they have no right to demand respect or to be listened to when they don't owe others that courtesy
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are hateful. "Soldiers should die, gays should burn in hell" that isn't hate? I'm aware they're not trying to convert me but I dislike anyone who uses religion to force opinions on others. I don't dislike religious people, I just dislike the hateful ones, like the Phelpses who go around telling people who don't support their ideals that they're going to hell. I'm far from outraged, I just think they're horrible and awful people with little respect for their fellow man. In my opinion, they have no right to demand respect or to be listened to when they don't owe others that courtesy

They just sent the hashtag to Glee star Kevin McHale #CoryinHell. How can anyone claim they are not hateful :confused:

I guess Shirley Phelps is going to Hell to after that child she had out of wedlock. They do claim that God doesn't forgive right?
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something else I have to add. The church seem to believe the world is black and white. Join their church and follow their cherry picked version of the Bible and you will get into Heaven.

What do they believe about people in mental health hospitals? People who clearly cannot just drop everything in their life and join their church. People who suffer from serious mental illnesses that cannot just switch them off and focus their life on religion. What do they think about people with disabilities who can't fully understand the Bible, let alone make the decision to follow it? Why do they believe God sends innocent children to Hell?
  • Options
    GurglesGurgles Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Steve Drain is one to watch. He's not actually a family member but hooked up with the WBC because he admired what Freddie and Co were doing. His daughter, Lauren, was excommunicated because she was unhappy with what the WBC were about. She is a lovely young woman who was treated ruthlessly and appallingly by her parents. Steve Drain is an egotistical, power hungry nutter and I think he'll stop at nothing to take over, even treading on the remaining members of the Phelps family. Hopefully, he will be lord and master over a dwindling and increasingly disaffected 'congregation'.

Urgh Steve Drain!!! He is an obnoxious, arrogant egotistical **** who won't be happy until he's running the whole show at WBC. It seems that he is official spokesperson now that Shirley's been ousted. His heartless treatment of his daughter says everything about him.

The WBC don't believe in funerals, as they consider them to be worship of the dead, so it's not likely Fred will be having one. Hateful though they are, I don't believe stooping to their level will achieve anything. They thrive on attention so they're better ignored.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Something else I have to add. The church seem to believe the world is black and white. Join their church and follow their cherry picked version of the Bible and you will get into Heaven.

What do they believe about people in mental health hospitals? People who clearly cannot just drop everything in their life and join their church. People who suffer from serious mental illnesses that cannot just switch them off and focus their life on religion. What do they think about people with disabilities who can't fully understand the Bible, let alone make the decision to follow it? Why do they believe God sends innocent children to Hell?

Bound for Hell because God hates them. You're looking for compassion, logic or reason in what they claim to believe - and you're wasting your time. They claim that everyone - everyone - is hated by God except for themselves and that everyone - everyone - is going to burn in Hell except for themselves. Quite simply, they would claim that God sends innocent children to Hell because he hates them, because he hates their society, and because he hates whichever country they're from. That's their message - God hates everyone (except us). And gosh, how they delight in screaming that message to as wide an audience as possible.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Bound for Hell because God hates them. You're looking for compassion, logic or reason in what they claim to believe. You're looking in the wrong place. They claim that everyone - everyone - is hated by God except for themselves and that everyone - everyone - is going to burn in Hell except themselves. Quite simply, they would claim that God sends innocent children to Hell because he hates them. That's their message - God hates everyone (except us).
    To be fair on them if you read the Old Testament that's exactly how God comes across. He does genuinely hate everyone and everything, except for the few people who obey him without question. So all they're doing really is interpreting the Bible literally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    To be fair on them if you read the Old Testament that's exactly how God comes across. He does genuinely hate everyone and everything, except for the few people who obey him without question. So all they're doing really is interpreting the Bible literally.

I'm glad to say I've never been that bored.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad to say I've never been that bored. :p
    Fair enough. It's a real eye opener if ever you do though. A Bronze Age video nasty, full of page after page of smiting, slaughtering and judgement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough. It's a real eye opener if ever you do though. A Bronze Age video nasty, full of page after page of smiting, slaughtering and judgement.

Oh, I know really - I was just being flippant. :) It's the part of the Bible that really seems to get downplayed, whilst the New Testament is the family friendly part. Certainly, in Catholic school, we were discouraged from questioning much of the glossed-over Old Testament stuff. That was all just to be read metaphorically - the real message was all about treating others as you wish to be treated and loving your neighbour! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I know really - I was just being flippant. :) It's the part of the Bible that really seems to get downplayed, whilst the New Testament is the family friendly part. Certainly, in Catholic school, we were discouraged from questioning much of the glossed-over Old Testament stuff. That was all just to be read metaphorically - the real message was all about treating others as you wish to be treated and loving your neighbour! ;-)
    The end of the New Testament is pretty brutal too though. A particularly interesting thing in Revelations that nobody seems to mention is that the dead will only enter Heaven on the Day of Judgement, meaning whenever a priest tells you your deceased family member is "now with God" they are outright lying to you according to their own book.

Anyways.....the Phelps's.......;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The end of the New Testament is pretty brutal too though. A particularly interesting thing in Revelations that nobody seems to mention is that the dead will only enter Heaven on the Day of Judgement, meaning whenever a priest tells you your deceased family member is "now with God" they are outright lying to you according to their own book.

Anyways.....the Phelps's
    .......;-)

GodhatesthePhelps'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. I hope some people picket his funeral!
    It's the least he deserves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GodhatesthePhelps'
    Of course. God Hates God.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course. God Hates God.

Well He did want His own son to suffer on the cross. And His own son was also Him.

For some reason Roger the alien's summation of Christianity rings in my head whenever I think of characters like the Phelps' (who choose to take everything literally in order to profit from hatred):
    Ah, I love your religion... for the crazy! Virgin birth, water into wine; it's like Harry Potter, but it causes genocide and bad folk music. I hope I haven't missed the part where the three Chinese guys give perfume to the star baby.
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exodus 21:20-21 ESV / 173 helpful votes

“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

REALLY??!!!