Options

The Fall: Series Two (UK Pace)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    If you watch it again you'll see that Spector did all of the "booting".

I did watch it again and corrected my view of the incident earlier. :)
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, this is basically episode 6 of the first series. Next weeks extended episode will be episodes 7 and 8.

All the rest of it was pointless filler.

And why does the gormless looking new policeman speak so slowly. Is it to create yet more filler time?
  • Options
    Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Great episode, best of series 2 so far.

I wonder what reaction sending the brunette police officer in to Paul Stella was hoping for.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Merlin or Spector, Merlin or Spector...hmm, decisions decisions...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frank E wrote: »
    My interest in this has really flagged since the first episode. It;s missing much as a drama but it's let down most by the awful supporting lead.

In fairness, the lead actor is a model, not an actor. Probably unfair of us to expect him to deliver his few lines in a believable manner.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Dub2 wrote: »
    In fairness, the lead actor is a model, not an actor. Probably unfair of us to expect him to deliver his few lines in a believable manner.

He has a wonderful unblinking, cold and unfeeling expression.

It never occurred to me that he wasn't acting.

I think he is though. The look in his eyes ...
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    Merlin or Spector, Merlin or Spector...hmm, decisions decisions...

Oh, Spector! Merlin's attempt to try and act the hard man had me laughing. Jamie Dornan just has it. Merlin really doesn't.

When Paul was caught by the police I really wanted him to escape. I actually said 'Come on, Paul. You can do it', although I thought the part where you could see his face under infrared light while in the police cell was very creepy.

Still, I'm not sure how they can pad this out for another 90 minutes. I'll miss it when it's finished. It was a great episode tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, Spector! Merlin's attempt to try and act the hard man had me laughing. Jamie Dornan just has it. Merlin really doesn't.

Two poor actors in fairness. They looked like two male models trying to `blue steel` each other. Truly awful scenes.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I've been following this series all the way through but haven't commented so far. Tonight's was my favourite episode of Series 2 so far, and gives me high hopes for the finale. People on this forum (more so than literally anywhere else I've come across) come across so negatively towards the show, I don't know why they bother watching it. If it's not bemoaning plot holes, it's complaining about the pacing.

One of the biggest issues raised tonight seems to be that now he's been arrested, they must surely be stringing out the final extended episode and the whole thing is going to plod along slowly. Aside from the fact we're watching a drama as opposed to an action thriller so the pace is perfectly acceptable, it's often the same people moaning about this that earlier moaned that the series looked set to have Paul on the run until the finale and then it would all be horrendously rushed. Having opinions on either side of the fence is fine, but I really wish some people would just shut-up when it reaches the point that they're practically inventing reasons to hate something.

Moving on I really enjoyed tonights one, and it highlighted that whilst Series 1 was a lot more tense until now, Series 2 has valiantly managed to keep the story going without resorting to more murders. It's interesting that journalists have only really criticised the voyeuristic tendencies of the show in Series 2, despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of that content happened in Series 1.

Tonights episode seemed to focus on the surveillance aspect of the series in its first half - an aspect that has been a definite highlight this year. The second half was very different but equally impressive. Gillian Anderson never ceases to surprise and amaze, and her best acting scene here was one that required no dialogue at all. The scene involving Rose was very powerful, and if it doesn't earn somebody an award then something is very wrong. It was gripping stuff, and relentless. It was easy to get drawn into the scene without realising quite how long it had endured, and it was topped off with the rather deep "why are you watching this" comment from Paul. When I watched it I felt it was included for Stella's benefit (and that Paul knew getting caught was an inevitability rather than a possibility) but it equally works that he was saying it to himself, and indeed to us, the viewer as well.

There was a lot else going on and the series continues to throw us off on tangents. Whilst there are a few conveniences and contrivances along the way, the series is generally high quality enough to let them slip. If there's one criticism I have, and it's not even really one it's that I really wish Colin Morgan had more to do - and not just because he's exceedingly attractive (though frankly I won't complain whenever I see either Colin or Gillian on screen, and I'll probably have to rewind to actually pay attention if they share another scene together). It felt like there was a fair bit of set up to his involvement but he's not been in it that much. I suspect Stella's dominance over men plays a part in why she wants him there, and I hope that gets explored. I do wonder if they're trying to mirror him against Paul, and indeed Jamie Dornan as well.

In the event we get a third series it will likely and preferably now be without Jamie Dornan. Maybe Katie could go free and pick up the mantle, giving the show the chance to explore the other side of the gender spectrum when it comes to crime and feel generally refreshed and newly ambitious. It could alternately introduce a new criminal. At any rate I would love to see a Series 3 - Stella is an interesting enough character to make it work with Gillian Anderson as the lead, and I'd more than happily have Colin Morgan in as a regular alongside her too in a third run. Merlin and Scully as it were! :D It'd be refreshingly original to have a show with an older female lead, and a younger male 'companion'.

I look forward to the finale and hopefully more to come :)
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    That was superb.

Stella playing him so brilliantly with the release then arrest, the temptation in his cell ... and he knows it.

I guess they finally meet next week. Looking forward to that scene.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Finally a good episode in series 2, pity its come so late.
  • Options
    Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How chilling was Sean McGinley tonight as the paedophile priest? That was another disturbing scene to say the least...

He was giving me the creeps bigtime. Was the best episode of the series yet, was good to see some emotion from Stella when she was watching the videos of Rose.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    How chilling was Sean McGinley tonight as the paedophile priest? That was another disturbing scene to say the least...
    He was amazing. That was a brilliant scene, featuring two very fine actors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Merlin? :o:o:o

I didn't watch it, obviously...it's put me off him a bit :(

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/9300000/Series-2-DVD-Promotionals-merlin-on-bbc-9305676-1280-1024.jpg
  • Options
    LordsallyLordsally Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    Thank you for the thought re recording it. I can only get iPlayer by faffing around with proxy IPs... I'll solve my dilemma, I'm sure, but The Fall is the only series I'm watching that I'm really gripped by at the moment so missing the final episode is a bit irritating.

(I'd probably be watching The Missing with interest but I missed the first 3 episodes and never caught up).
    If all else fails, the BBC are pretty quick in releasing the box set for sale. I know they were with Amber (I missed the final episode and had to buy box set) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This Merlin? :o:o:o

I didn't watch it, obviously...it's put me off him a bit :(

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/9300000/Series-2-DVD-Promotionals-merlin-on-bbc-9305676-1280-1024.jpg
    I can't see him as being attractive at all. He looks too much like a pixie to me.
  • Options
    Frank EFrank E Posts: 111
    Forum Member

I meant Gibson, the Policewoman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    I can't see him as being attractive at all. He looks too much like a pixie to me.

He definitely was back in the day, shockingly so...he's just very, very pretty now. Aging has done wonders for him!

Irish men do have a certain something, it has to be said ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He definitely was back in the day, shockingly so...he's just very, very pretty now. Aging has done wonders for him!

BIB - I have to agree. Not Merlin, though - not for me.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    I watched it really late last night.

Am I right in thinking Spector only spoke to the mad Unionist in the whole hour?
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never seen him before, but I like the way they've brought him in to face off Spector. He has a very strong presence, almost mirroring Paul's inpenetrable wall.
  • Options
    Forum Member

His eyes are too far apart for him to be attractive, IMO.

Seeing Dornan and Merlin walking along side-by-side just reinforced how incredibly handsome Dornan is. I'm not saying it was Beauty and the Beast or anything but still.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Two poor actors in fairness. They looked like two male models trying to `blue steel` each other. Truly awful scenes.

I think it worked fine when it was just Dornan doing it but it seemed that Merlin was just doing exactly the same thing and it came across as weird and fake.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digiperson wrote: »
    Brilliant episode tonight! Great pace, great characters, even a new character who was just as chilling as Spector!

With the finale of both The Missing on Tuesday, and The Fall on Thursday, it's going to be a great week for British drama!

Yeah I am just about caught up with The Missing (I'm the only one watching whereas my parents watch the Fall as well, plus I'm always out on Tuesday night) and can't wait.

The Newsroom on Sky Atlantic is sandwiched in there too.
  • Options
    CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen him before, but I like the way they've brought him in to face off Spector. He has a very strong presence, almost mirroring Paul's inpenetrable wall.
    You must be joking ! First time I've seen him too and my reaction was what on earth made them choose someone who looks like that to face up to Spector ? I felt embarrassed.
This discussion has been closed.