tan tablets

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
got some of these last year from holland and barrett but never got around to taking them.

reading up online though some people have linked them with an increased risk of skin cancer? i'm quite pale and have quite a few freckles/moles so would taking them be risky?

i also wondered will taking them give make more freckles/moles appear because it says they make you produce melanin? i don't want that really.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-tan-tablets-60006495

lastly do they actually make a difference in terms of getting a bit of a tan? :p

cheers :kitty:

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never tried those, but I can recommend carrot oil as a tan accelerator.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I'd go for a subtle fake tan rather than take pills that could increase the risk of skin cancer. I used to work with a girl who took tan tablets and her skin went a peculiar orange shade, she looked almost jaundiced.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you ingest something that may or may not be associated with an increased risk of skin cancer, when you can apply a superficial fake tan in a cream, mousse or spray?
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Get garnier summer body moisturiser, if you use it once a day you get soft skin and a healthy non orange tint, I use the fair skin one. The holland and barret tabs are probably just beta carotene supplements, turn you orange lol!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just get a light, natural, uneven tan, which can look sexy – as opposed to the silly slappers who walk around looking as if they've been attacked with Ronseal woodstain.

Always look down at their tanned toes. They always look stupid because nobody ever has evenly tanned toes unless they've been in a paint spray booth. They think it looks sexy, but it only makes them look simple.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    barbeler, good advice, a natural tan for me is slightly golden arms and legs because I wear factor 30 on sunny hot days like this, I am very fair skinned, only my hair has light streaks of sun, so win win, my hair is lighter after sun, no dieing or dying required..eek! :D
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go for a subtle fake tan rather than take pills that could increase the risk of skin cancer. I used to work with a girl who took tan tablets and her skin went a peculiar orange shade, she looked almost jaundiced.

I used to work with a bloke who took them and was forever known as "the lad who went orange".:D:D
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Why would you ingest something that may or may not be associated with an increased risk of skin cancer, when you can apply a superficial fake tan in a cream, mousse or spray?

OP is probably trying to avoid them as they look dreadful on most people that apply them.

Tbh the whole thing is silly to me. Never understood this obsession with tans.

You either look like a carrot if you use sprays, or get cancer if you use sun-beds.
  • oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    I am 61 blue eyes very thin blonde hair still have freckles never worn sunglasses or used a sun blocker but always wear a tee shirt hat and socks and for the last 20 years work in temperatures in excess of 34 degrees for example it was 37 degrees here and I cut 3000 square metres of grass for 5 hours
    go with a natural tan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do girls with hilariously silly fake tans always go around in pairs?
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Why do girls with hilariously silly fake tans always go around in pairs?
    Why do some people make sexist generalisations?
    Hilariously silly not to recognise that men use fake tan too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delazarous wrote: »
    Why do some people make sexist generalisations?
    Hilariously silly not to recognise that men use fake tan too!
    I can honestly say that I've never seen one walking around in public, only on television, with a small number of presenters who instantly become objects of ridicule.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can honestly say that I've never seen one walking around in public, only on television, with a small number of presenters who instantly become objects of ridicule.

Probably because you can't notice. A lot of fake tan is very convincing nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    OP is probably trying to avoid them as they look dreadful on most people that apply them.

Tbh the whole thing is silly to me. Never understood this obsession with tans.

You either look like a carrot if you use sprays, or get cancer if you use sun-beds.

Like anything the chances are very small if used in moderation.
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can honestly say I've seen plenty of orange men as well as women. However, what does it matter ? They're not hurting anyone and it obviously makes them feel better about themselves, else they wouldn't apply it.
    Why not save your disdain for those who harm others? There's certainly plenty to choose from.