Sellings CDs?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a lot of CDs but wanting to sell some to get money towards clothes :)

anyway decided on about 1/3 of them that i want to sell so about 100 cds i reckon.

Tried music magpie a few months ago but only got offered about 30p for most things and it seems a shame to sell them at that.

also with ebay most people offer free postage but if i put them up for say £2 each by the time i've got the packaging stuff and paid for ebay and to post them i'd probably be left with about 50p at the most.

not expecting to make a huge amount from used cds obviously but does anyone have any better ways to sell them than those sites?

Comments

• mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a look at Amazon Marketplace too...but much like eBay everyone is fighting to be lowest price and postage costs will kill you,
    I stopped buying CD's (gone to mp3) but I did keep all the old CD's in a wallet like this, simply as it wasn't worth selling them - threw away the cases to save space
    http://www.internetbusinessmart.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/CD-wallet.jpg
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unless they are unique rare items then there will be virtually no value to them.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    unless they are unique rare items then there will be virtually no value to them.

That's right. I have a box of over 200 CDs which I never play (everything has been ripped) but when I have looked to sell them they really haven't been worth anything at all. What I have seen is people trying to sell their entire collection as a job lot on Ebay but even then you'll only get a few pence each for them. Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-Lot-150-Top-Albums-Big-Names-All-Listed-/111469045395

It would probably be less hassle just to take the whole box down to a charity shop.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    As they are CD's they will almost all still be gettable brand new from somewhere and therefore have very little value

It will cost you more to get rid of them than is worth your hassle

Even if you left them outside your house for free some of them would never go
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD's at the moment are virtually worthless second hand, factor in the time you'll spend to lets say get 50p a cd after taking in the ebay/paypal charges and dealing with all the idiots on ebay and it'll probably be worth the 30p from music magpie just to get shot of them in one simple box

so assuming you have no 'rare' stuff you'd probably be better off buying mini clock motors and flogging them as decorative clocks
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could give yourself a warm fuzzy glow by offing them to charity shops, and it'll be a lot less work than selling them - but I realise that won't help you raise cash for new clothes. Another option would be to get a pitch at a car boot, that'd save you P&P but you'll not sell all of them in one day - would be chance to ditch other clobber too.

Also, I'm sure you will realise that if you sell the CD you'll need to delete any rip to mp3 you've done of them, or else you'll have the copyright theft people making a scary advert about you.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    mincepie wrote: »
    I stopped buying CD's (gone to mp3)

Bit of a step down...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Bit of a step down...

unless you're an audiophile then the step down is minimal.
    and if you are that much of an audiophile then CD is also not the preferred media either.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    That's right. I have a box of over 200 CDs which I never play (everything has been ripped) but when I have looked to sell them they really haven't been worth anything at all. What I have seen is people trying to sell their entire collection as a job lot on Ebay but even then you'll only get a few pence each for them. Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-Lot-150-Top-Albums-Big-Names-All-Listed-/111469045395

It would probably be less hassle just to take the whole box down to a charity shop.

If you sell the CDs then surely your rips aren't technically legal?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

correct
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Technically speaking ripping the CDs to MP3 was illegal in the first place - such acts won't be legal until next Wednesday.

"The Copyright and Rights in Performances (Personal Copies for Private Use) Regulations 2014" was passed in July and comes into force October 1st 2014.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Technically speaking ripping the CDs to MP3 was illegal in the first place - such acts won't be legal until next Wednesday.

Yes but morally there really isn't anything wrong with this even now as long as the CDs have been paid for and still owned. It's completely different of course to rip them and then sell the CDs.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    unless you're an audiophile then the step down is minimal.
    and if you are that much of an audiophile then CD is also not the preferred media either.

I wouldn't say I am an audiophile but I can notice the difference. I don't mind MP3 on a portable player but on room speakers I want a 'fuller' sound quality on music that I like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Yes but morally there really isn't anything wrong with this even now as long as the CDs have been paid for and still owned. It's completely different of course to rip them and then sell the CDs.

Erm, morally nothing wrong with it except it was against the law. I know what you mean, the law was wrong and it was officially reviewed and found to be "unfit for purpose" and format shifting was found to be a "reasonable expectation" - this is why the law has been changed to something much more sensible from next week.

The bonus is, the law is back dated and makes any format shift copies you made previously now legal, just as long as they are within line of what would have been allowed had this new law been in place at the time.

And yes, the new law does specify that the source legal copy must be "permanently owned" by you - this rules out keeping copies of flogged CDs and also making copies from streaming services (so taping off the radio is still illegal).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In which case I'll just managed to err..."lose" the original CDs. If someone wants to give me some money for an something entirely unrelated then that up the them.

Yes, I know it is technically naughty but this kind of thing has been going on for decades. Even know you can go onto Amazon and download the MP3 version of an album for free for a CD which you may have bought a decade ago and don't currently own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I know it is technically naughty but this kind of thing has been going on for decades..

that's a pathetic attempt at trying to justify anything!
    "but murder has been going on for decades, yes it's technically naughty but go on.. turn a blind eye just this time"
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    "but murder has been going on for decades, yes it's technically naughty but go on.. turn a blind eye just this time"
    Scale of the offence is what matters. Paying £15 for the CD, ripping it then flogging it for 30p some years later to someone who probably wouldn't have bought it retail anyway isn't quite the same wavelength as murder etc. Illegal, but not quite as bad.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Erm, morally nothing wrong with it except it was against the law. I know what you mean, the law was wrong and it was officially reviewed and found to be "unfit for purpose" and format shifting was found to be a "reasonable expectation" - this is why the law has been changed to something much more sensible from next week.

The bonus is, the law is back dated and makes any format shift copies you made previously now legal, just as long as they are within line of what would have been allowed had this new law been in place at the time.

And yes, the new law does specify that the source legal copy must be "permanently owned" by you - this rules out keeping copies of flogged CDs and also making copies from streaming services (so taping off the radio is still illegal).

So everything you said in your post basically agrees with what I said? To summarise what I said: copying is okay if you've paid for the CD and have kept it but not okay if you sell the CD on.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Think yourself lucky, I have over 1000, now virtually worthless. All that money down the pan!>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you want to live your life by those highest standards of the law and morals then that's up to you. I can only presume that you have never done anything even slightly illegal in your life and got away with it.

I'll admit to have to having some music which I don't legally own. Should I hand myself into the local police station?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to live your life by those highest standards of the law and morals then that's up to you. I can only presume that you have never done anything even slightly illegal in your life and got away with it.

I'll admit to have to having some music which I don't legally own. Should I hand myself into the local police station?

i never claimed to be anything.
    i was merely saying that using that line as a defence was pretty pathetic.

my music library as around 80GB. i'd say around 10% of it was purchased legally (and still owned).
    the rest was downloaded via torrents.
    however i know the illegality of it and don't try to justify it by means of any excuse.

my movie library is just short of 2TB and less than 5% of that is legally sourced.
    i make no excuses for wanting content without paying for it. it's theft. it's illegal.

as a final note though, shouldn't everybody try to live to the highest standards of the law and morals? surely that's a given??
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All mine went to Music Magpie. Only about 20 CDs of a large collection were worth more than the basic they give. At least I received something for each one and got shot of them all in one afternoon. Would of hated the hassle of trying to flog hem off separately. Paid for a good night out for two!
  • Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    I just take mine back to CEX, I am proud of my music collection so I just take back the cds I'm not as keen on. Nothing better than having a physical copy of your favourite albums.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Think yourself lucky, I have over 1000, now virtually worthless. All that money down the pan!>:(

How is it down the pan? Surely at the time you bought them you listened to and enjoyed them.

I never bought a CD with the hope i could sell it in the future, I bought it because i wanted to have it to hand whenever i wanted
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have loads of cds and all are ripped at 320 holding about 1TB of storage but how much storage would I need if they were ripped as wavs?