14/01/2015 - PMQs discussion thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BBC Parliament channel for uninterupted coverage:

Scottish Qs up first then PMQS at midday:

Q1 Gregg McClymont (Cumbernauld, Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch East)
If he will list his official engagements for Wednesday 14 January. (906978)

Q2 Dr Alan Whitehead (Southampton, Test) (906979)
Q3 Michael Fabricant (Lichfield) (906980)
Q4 Stephen Metcalfe (South Basildon and East Thurrock) (906981)
Q5 Nic Dakin (Scunthorpe) (906982)
Q6 Mr John Whittingdale (Maldon) (906983)
Q7 Meg Hillier (Hackney South and Shoreditch) (906984)
Q8 James Morris (Halesowen and Rowley Regis) (906985)
Q9 Toby Perkins (Chesterfield) (906986)
Q10 Mr Gregory Campbell (East Londonderry) (906987)
Q11 John Cryer (Leyton and Wanstead) (906988)
Q12 Mr Adrian Sanders (Torbay) (906989)
Q13 Robert Halfon (Harlow) (906990)
Q14 David Rutley (Macclesfield) (906991)
Q15 Iain Stewart (Milton Keynes South) (906992)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201415/cmagenda/ob150114.htm

Daily Politics guests are Brandon Lewis and Rachel Reeves from 11:30am BBC2

Guess the Year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12620807?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=daily_politics&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Later Labour have opposition day debate on Energy & Steel Industry.

Comments

• davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope there's not an empty chair where David Cameron is due to sit!! I wonder if the TV debates will feature.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The scheduling of the TV debates has not even happened yet and, by the time it is, I am sure that all will be sorted out to everyone's satisfaction. It wouldn't be a pre-election period without wrangling and political point scoring.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1st question: Leadership Debates
    2nd question: Leadership Debates
    3rd question: Leadership Debates
    etc

Of course.....this will be a vehicle for Miliband to use a whole string of Cameron direct quotes from 2009, which will include:

Cameron: "I will even pay for the taxi to take him (Brown) to the studio,"

Cameron: "I think we will have them in every election in the future,"

Miliband will (correctly) assume that the camera will show Cameron squirming as each quote is delivered.

Cameron's responses will bear no relationship whatsoever to the questions asked and will include a reference to "weaponisation", but will not be the claim he made last week which is completely wrong.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup i'll be surprised if Ed doesn't directly ask DC if he's going to take part in the debates. DC is going to have to either give a "Yes" reply to shut him up or he better have a really clever answer up his sleeve. Then back to the NHS I imagine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour MP randomly tries to pin DC down on where he stands on the EU referendum question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed two friendly questions about extremism. Now onto debates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DC saying there are only two credible debates, all parties who sit in the house or CON vs LAB.

He didn't say that in 2010.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cameron attacks EM over not asking serious questions. Fair point. EM should have asked perhaps one question but using three on it did appear to go a little too far considering. I think he survived that little skirmish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DC saying there are only two credible debates, all parties who sit in the house or CON vs LAB.

If we want the presidential model it should be CON vs LAB

But this is not the USA therefore all interested parties should be involved.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tricky one for Cameron on the debates. I thought accusing Miliband of running scared from the Greens was a bit lame, but somehow he managed to emerge from that relatively unscathed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DC seems to be getting some good traction by examining each constituency of Labour MPs asking questions and quoting back good news to them in response to their questions. Very effective. I know he's done it before but he seems to be doing it a lot now and banging the good news drum.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are only two credible debates to have. Cameron v Miliband in a head to head and a wider debate involving those parties with existing MPs who contest enough seatss to mathematically form a majority govt in their own right (which discounts the likes of the SNP who only contest seats within Scotland).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DC slips in a dig at EM over the weaponise NHS quote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My gut feeling from today is the Tory benches look and sound quite positive and gee'd up.. Labour benches not so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DC is on form today. Points out EM's council doesn't pay the living wage. EM's face was priceless.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    My gut feeling from today is the Tory benches look and sound quite positive and gee'd up.. Labour benches not so much.

Milliband had quite a haunted look on his face after the Doncaster Council dig.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DC is on form today. Points out EM's council doesn't pay the living wage. EM's face was priceless.

I can understand that Doncaster council don't pay it as they don't need to to attract staff BUT that is no different to any other private sector employer. Labour are all over the place.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I noted your comment about how Cameron was returning serve when dealing with opposition back benchers and I can't help but wonder if Labour would get more traction if those questions were asked by back benchers who Cameron can't attack so readily on that specific topic in said MPs back yard.

With Ed himself effectively debating debates with the majority of his questions and getting flack for that by Cameron (by pointing out there's only ten PMQs left before the GE), then you'd be struggling to call it in favour of Labour today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Balls was noticeable by his absence from Miliband's side.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    rusty123 wrote: »
    I noted your comment about how Cameron was returning serve when dealing with opposition back benchers and I can't help but wonder if Labour would get more traction if those questions were asked by back benchers who Cameron can't attack so readily on that specific topic in said MPs back yard.

With Ed himself effectively debating debates with the majority of his questions and getting flack for that by Cameron pointing out there's more important things to debate by pointing out there's only ten PMQs left before the GE then you'd be struggling to call it in favour of Labour today.

The Labour front bench looked quite dispirited, almost like they knew they were going to lose.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About time they renamed this Prime-ministers Avoid the Question Time and brought in a rule about proper questions to the PM and not just sycophantic statements giving him a chance to make a party political statement, and also a rule that he'll answer the question put to him, not ignore it and make his own statement.