Macbook Air Info

thinking of getting a MacBook Air but to upgrade the SSD seems expensive.

can you upgrade the SSD yourself or is it impossible

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what i remember from the 1st airs the SSD is not a standard drive but just a long strip with chips and a connector so is absolutely not just order a drive from somewhere and pop open 2 screws and replace and it does seem like its a strip down and rebuild job and if you aint happy to be messing with such stuff i'd buy it ready done as one slip with a screwdriver and you'll ruin the casing and cause lights to flash in culpertino and a visit from the turtle neck guys in silver cars late one night ;)
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think the Macbook pro ( non retina ) 13 inch is a much better option. It's still very portable and the memory and hdd can be easily upgraded and uses a standard 2/5 inch format drive.

You can also easily add a kit to make convert the optical drive to an extra HDD as well if you don't need it.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    From what i remember from the 1st airs the SSD is not a standard drive but just a long strip with chips and a connector so is absolutely not just order a drive from somewhere and pop open 2 screws and replace and it does seem like its a strip down and rebuild job and if you aint happy to be messing with such stuff i'd buy it ready done as one slip with a screwdriver and you'll ruin the casing and cause lights to flash in culpertino and a visit from the turtle neck guys in silver cars late one night ;)

I don't think anyone would want to be visited by the men in black turtlenecks :eek: What would they do - make you use Windows 8 for the rest of your life or lock you in an Apple Store until they make you into a fully converted Cult of Mac member? :eek::D