Using a wireless netgear router on a wired network

satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been asked by my boss to sort this little problem, where I work we have a building management system and in our office the computer is hooked up to a wired network switch which this is on, with expansion to maybe plug in a wireless hub the computer has windows explorer so we know we can surf anywhere, if I plugged a net gear router into the switch what would happen ?

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Your question is more than a bit confused.

but in general if you plug a wireless router in to a switch you will be able to use it as a wireless access point.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    but in general if you plug a wireless router in to a switch you will be able to use it as a wireless access point.

you don't want to do that if the network already has a DHCP server on it.
    you would need to disable those services on the router first before connecting it.

assuming there is an existing network, then what you want is a basic wireless access point, not a router.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    you don't want to do that if the network already has a DHCP server on it.
    you would need to disable those services on the router first before connecting it.

assuming there is an existing network, then what you want is a basic wireless access point, not a router.

To be honest there is not enough information from the OP to give an exhaustive answer. this being the internet giving a non exhaustive answer means someone will tell you you're wrong.

I did say you would be able to use it as a WAP, this would mean with DHCP disabled. but you can use it as a full router if you wish with DHCP. there is no problem with that configuration and creating an entirely new subnet. there are many times when this is desirable.
  • satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do have trouble explaining things, so as long as I can find a 192.168.xxx.xxx and I can do it on the existing computer I'm fine ?9
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    satman17 wrote: »
    Yes I do have trouble explaining things, so as long as I can find a 192.168.xxx.xxx and I can do it on the existing computer I'm fine ?9

sounds like you are way over your head to be honest.