Options

Spoilers & Information Beginning to Come In (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'd be very surprised if there *wasn't* a new title sequence!

Now that Matt's set the precedent in C21 Who, I wonder if there'll be a more, um, "in your face" face in the titles a la Doctors 2 to 7? Capaldi's an old school fan and probably had some creative input, so maybe...

Edit: Nice teaser. Very intense. Hope he's not sitting on the light. Most uncomfortable.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be glad when the new series starts because it's getting to be quite a rocky road round here lately.:D
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody want to guess what episode the "Listen" teaser is taken from? Listen out for a big clue. Especially when the Doctor tells you to listen.

:p
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote:
    Anybody want to guess what episode the "Listen" teaser is taken from? Listen out for a big clue. Especially when the Doctor tells you to listen.

:p
    The Doctor Up On The Roof:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New article and pics: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldis-doctor-more-alien-less-human-friendly-64917.htm
    Capaldi said: “It can become a kind of franchise where it’s not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie… I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He just keeps saying all the right things. He gets it. I have loved all the doctors and especially Eleven but god knows we needed a change of sorts. And we are getting it. Cannot. Wait.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

It's all very exciting as we approach Whogust. Just relieved I didn't cave and watch the leaked episode. Admit I found it to see it was what it was, then got out of there after a few seconds. Didn't feel right for me. If he tops Matt in my estimation will be a very happy camper indeed. As Saladfingers says, it's all about change....
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen the new teaser on BBC1, looking forward to this in a big way!

Bizarrely, I can still barely detect a Scottish accent!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Just seen the new teaser on BBC1, looking forward to this in a big way!

Bizarrely, I can still barely detect a Scottish accent!

Capaldi doesn't have a terribly pronounced Scottish accent and didn't when he played Malcolm Tucker.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbh I'm getting rather sick of the hyperbole now. All this 'we're dark/edgier/more alien/meaner/better' nonsense. They're building it up hugely as one particular thing to the point where it's sounding like a broken record and it's going to smack them in the face really rather hard if they don't pull it off. I love and respect Peter and Jenna but I don't need to be told that 'omg this is the best DW ever! So much better than all the nonsense we had before!' repeatedly.

From the way they're selling it they're still making 12 sound like a bit of an arse. And that's fine if he's got a bit of charm about him too but why they need to keep telling us how horrible he is, I don't know!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Tbh I'm getting rather sick of the hyperbole now. All this 'we're dark/edgier/more alien/meaner/better' nonsense. They're building it up hugely as one particular thing to the point where it's sounding like a broken record and it's going to smack them in the face really rather hard if they don't pull it off. I love and respect Peter and Jenna but I don't need to be told that 'omg this is the best DW ever! So much better than all the nonsense we had before!' repeatedly.

From the way they're selling it they're still making 12 sound like a bit of an arse. And that's fine if he's got a bit of charm about him too but why they need to keep telling us how horrible he is, I don't know!

but you've been complaining about it for weeks so perhaps its you who should change the record. Its called 'promoting a television show'. In the same way RTD hyped up every season finale into oblivion (and failed to deliver for that matter). Its a new Doctor. A shift in tone. Its something to be promoted. And its hardly all over the place. Two official interviews have been released. One full trailer that's being shown sparingly. Not sure what your problem is. Well I do. You clearly have issues with Moffat and whatever happens he will never win. If S8 is bad then you will blame him. If its good you will credit Capaldi. Win win for the malcontents. Lose lose for the Moff. Now that is damned boring.

also you're actually making things up. They haven't said its better than before. They've said its different. They haven't said the doctor will be just a horrible bastard. But he will be more challenging.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good complaint. If you don't like the promo don't read articles and frequent forums. Personally as a fan I can't get enough of it. Weird I know. A fan that enjoys the thing they're a fan of. Crazy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anybody on the production team has said it is going to be the best Doctor Who ever. What critics are predicting is another story.

If Capaldi is speaking about his character and the way he has been written and the way he has played him, then that's his opinion / wishes based on seven months in the role.

Nobody needs to pay any notice to anything that comes out of the mouths of Peter/Jenna/Steven/Producers/Directors/Writers. But they're going to build it up during interviews....

Doctor Who pales in comparison to Game of "THIS IS THE MOST EPIC SEASON, MORE EPIC THAN THE LAST" Thrones publicity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anybody on the production team has said it is going to be the best Doctor Who ever. What critics are predicting is another story.

If Capaldi is speaking about his character and the way he has been written and the way he has played him, then that's his opinion / wishes based on seven months in the role.

Nobody needs to pay any notice to anything that comes out of the mouths of Peter/Jenna/Steven/Producers/Directors/Writers. But they're going to build it up during interviews....

Doctor Who pales in comparison to Game of "THIS IS THE MOST EPIC SEASON, MORE EPIC THAN THE LAST" Thrones publicity.

or most shows for that matter. I love The Walking Dead but damn do they hype it. And they usually deliver. Doctor Who has some funny old fans alas. I've already seen people on Twitter claiming Capaldi is bossing Moffat around and that he hated Smith and Tennant. Based on nothing. Pathetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need to stop posting together salad, we'll just be accused of kissing ass and banning criticism.

Next week I'll finally be able to tell Moffat how I feel :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need to stop posting together salad, we'll just be accused of kissing ass and banning criticism.

Its coincidence people!

Yeah true. I've just read similar on Twitter and other places. Its perfectly normal promo for a big TV event and yet some 'fans' are even angry about this. Why? I honestly don't know any other fandom that gets itself in such a pickle. As I said. The Walking Dead premiered a trailer and from what I can see most people were delighted. They enjoyed it. No stress. No backbiting. Just joy at new stuff for the show they like.

Yet with DW there always has to be a silly whinging element. It just gets boring. As I said. People insinuating Capaldi didn't like Ten and Eleven. Jesus wept. Grow up. We had showrunner wars and now three doctors fighting. Yawn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or most shows for that matter. I love The Walking Dead but damn do they hype it. And they usually deliver. Doctor Who has some funny old fans alas. I've already seen people on Twitter claiming Capaldi is bossing Moffat around and that he hated Smith and Tennant. Based on nothing. Pathetic.

It is a bit alarming, but guess I shouldn't be suprised by now. Capald's Doctor will be....um, different. Like all the Doctors have been different. I'll do my fannish thing and work out where he comes on my list...after I've watched the whole series. I know Smith was pleased when he bumped into Capaldi after his debut, and Peter was very complimentary indeed.

Eleventh Doctor (disdainfully) : "Twitter."
  • Options
    flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On another note, and being purely superficial, I think that pic of Peter and Jenna looks bloomin great!! I may have to buy Empire this week....;-)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Production team promote television show and new lead actor to encourage people to watch shocker!
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of agree, especially being in a position to know the show is not even close to being so starkly different as they pretend it will be. It's the exact same damn programme as before, with a slightly grumpier lead star.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Production team promote television show and new lead actor to encourage people to watch shocker!

Nah that's all fine, no problem with that. It's just the broken record of the 'we're so dark and edgy and cooler now!' and the notion that's so much better. It really feels like they've got nothing else to say about the show which is rather sad!
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    I kind of agree, especially being in a position to know the show is not even close to being so starkly different as they pretend it will be. It's the exact same damn programme as before, with a slightly grumpier lead star.

This is what I suspect from having glanced at the scripts and why the hyperbole is eyebrow raising. They are building themselves up for a bit of a 'is that it?' from the fans. You may have a new lead actor but you still have the same man in charge and unsurprisingly that means things don't change THAT radically. The only other change we might see if Danny might die and actually stay dead unlike Rory!

It really won't change that drastically until they get a new show runner and despite the good stuff Moffat has done I think it'd be better for the show if he moved on now and let some fresh blood have a go.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he is supposedly planning the end of S9 so we will have him for at least one more year one more series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its weird. I'm so careful to keep an eye on this thread and CD93 always keeps it updated. But it appears I've missed some articles or something. Can someone please post the interview where Moffat, Capaldi or anyone on the production crew claimed the show is now 'edgier and cooler and better than what went before'. I'm assuming its the same interview where they announce that the show has completely changed almost unrecognisably in a way we have never seen before as opposed to just pointing out a slight but significant shift in the way the doctor behaves, his relationship with his companion and other humans and making sure actions have perhaps more consequences than before. I really want to read it. I didn't realise we were getting a brand new theme tune, screwdriver, Tardis interior and exterior and literally no connection to Elevens era at all so want to read where this has been said.

I got the impression that apart from Capaldi it would be much business as usual. Strange. People aren't making things up again are they?
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The general tenor of their comments over the past few months (at least) has suggested a significant shift in tone and delivery is incoming. If you haven't gotten that then that's your interpretation but clearly a great deal of people have, you only have to read over here and other fan sites to see that people are expecting big changes.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

It's pure delusional. Capaldi has his opinions but I doubt for one second he's bossing Moffat about the place.

Those fans believe what they want to believe regardless though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    The general tenor of their comments over the past few months (at least) has suggested a significant shift in tone and delivery is incoming. If you haven't gotten that then that's your interpretation but clearly a great deal of people have, you only have to read over here and other fan sites to see that people are expecting big changes.

But I just don't see where theyre getting that from? Same Tardis. Same writers for the most part. Same companion. The Paternoster Gang are back! 99% of the talk of change revolves around the differences in Capaldi and from what I've read and heard from people who have seen the episodes this is quite a significant change. But by no means a 'year zero' moment.

Doesn't seem fair to say if the show isn't that different then Moffat has set himself up for a fall because I don't see that hes said that.

The media and fandom themselves have taken this angle since the moment Capaldi was announced. Everyone has assumed darker and more adult and edgier. I've not see it stated explicitly by Moffat or Capaldi. All Capaldi has done is talk up how different his interpretation is and that its maybe a back to basic doctor. I've been hoping for this as have many others. I loved Eleven (and Ten) but was frankly sick to death of sand shoes and bow ties and Fezzes and Geronimo and texting and scones and allonsy etc. It was turning the doctor into a bit of a caricature. Less a three dimensional character more a walking talking cosplay in waiting. So even if theyve gotten rid of that aspect that's change enough for me.
This discussion has been closed.