What episodes SHOULD have been called...

13»

Comments

• FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Oh don't be so over sensitive. This is a public forum. People are allowed to comment and critique. Considering how much people on here like to tear apart anything Moffat does its ironic they become so delicate if someone passes judgment on their own 'creativity'(and I use that term loosely).

There have been a few good suggestions. I just don't see the point of those that choose to discard an inventive title in favor of simple, literal minded titles that are akin to Friends and their 'The one where...'.

yes. Let change 'Utopia' to 'Travelling to the end of the universe with Captain Jack and Martha and meeting a Professor who isn't who he seems'.

'Blink?' Rubbish! How about 'Sally Sparrow and friends versus The Weeping Angels'. Yes. How creative.

Oh shut up! It's just a bit of fun, don't take it so seriously. NOBODY MENTIONED MOFFAT. Get out of his arse!
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the contrary, I think that encapsulates my point entirely. Survival is a collaborative effort.

In that case, I think you miss the point entirely :p

Besides which, you claimed society was built upon 'respect and civility', not 'collaborative effort'. Shifting your argument may be convenient but it's hardly persuasive. I can collaborate with you without showing you the slightest respect or civility. It happens in every workplace every day.

I'm not going to labour the point but you may want to check out those lyrics again as I rather suspect you didn't understand them :P

"What keeps mankind alive?
    The fact that millions are daily tortured
    Stifled, punished, silenced and oppressed
    Mankind can keep alive thanks to its brilliance
    In keeping its humanity repressed
    And for once you must try not to shriek the facts
    Mankind is kept alive by bestial acts "

The point is rather that with 'respect and civility' shown to every man and woman our 'society' as it exists would utterly crumble as its infrastructure is maintained by exploited and neglected drudges. And as long as we ignore that unpleasant fact it can continue. The song is saying 'don't preach of morals or virtues when this is the core of our civillization'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what is this vogue for 'Billy and the Alhambric Mongoose' type titles? Is it a Harry Potter thing? A generation grew up reading 'Harry Potter and the Tree of Nothingness' and have become used to that format?
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    So what is this vogue for 'Billy and the Alhambric Mongoose' type titles? Is it a Harry Potter thing? A generation grew up reading 'Harry Potter and the Tree of Nothingness' and have become used to that format?

Surely Indiana Jones and other serials of that ilk came first? And the Target books of course!

Here's some of my awful suggestions to go alongside those awful suggestions others have already made! Just stick "Doctor Who and the..." in front of EVERY title!

Doctor Who and the Deep Breath
    Doctor Who and the Blink
    Doctor Who and the Human Nature
    Doctor Who and the Midnight
    Doctor Who and the Tooth and Claw
    Doctor Who and the Gridlock

etc etc etc etc Sheesh these are bad! :D
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Surely Indiana Jones and other serials of that ilk came first? And the Target books of course!

Here's some of my awful suggestions to go alongside those awful suggestions others have already made! Just stick "Doctor Who and the..." in front of EVERY title!

Doctor Who and the Deep Breath
    Doctor Who and the Blink
    Doctor Who and the Human Nature
    Doctor Who and the Midnight
    Doctor Who and the Tooth and Claw
    Doctor Who and the Gridlock

etc etc etc etc Sheesh these are bad! :D

Doctor Who and the Aliens of London
    Doctor Who and the Rise of the Cybermen
    Doctor Who and the Family of Blood
    Doctor Who and the Stolen Earth
    Doctor Who and the Beast Below
    Doctor Who and the Rebel Flesh
    Doctor Who and the Bells of Saint John
    Doctor Who and the Robots of Sherwood

You just picked a mild few out of the minority that didn't make sense, the majority, however, as stated above, do make sense :p
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wedding Of River Song: Death Us Do Part
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Time and the Rani - The Rani's Enormous Pink Organ
    My Kingdom for a Spoon

The End of Time - The Very Long Goodbye
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course, it was hardly a new convention but I was just theorizing as to why that kind of title seemed to be in vogue, and I assumed most of the people posting them are below the age of 14. God, I hope they are...
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Time Monster- Doctor Who and the Tom Tit :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    The Time Monster- Doctor Who and the Tom Tit :)

LOL. Most amusing. I do enjoy the name of that machine. :p

Incidently, was the machine called that in the Target novelization? I can imagine that caused the boys reading it no end of mirth.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i don't consider my posts tk ever be nasty or aggressive or demeaning. Am I a slight killjoy and hyper critical? Yes. Aren't we all.

I suppose I believe that people should be able to fairly critique other forum members opinions and posts as long as you don't make it personal. If someone posts a fan fiction and I don't think its very good its my right to say so. Otherwise why don't we all sit around clapping each other and agreeing everyone's right? Of course not. I am sure more forum members here think i talk utter drivel than agree with me. And quite right to. I think same of many. Its the point of a discussion forum.

If someone posts some episode titles and asks what people think then if I don't like them i will say so. Not to be offensive. Because its what I thought.

or are we saying if its negative then better to say nothing at all? Well I've heard the Moffat bashers use this counter argument and claim people like myself try and curb any posts that don't praise Moffat...which is nonsense as i criticise him plenty.

Oh really? I said I didn't think much of the "Listen" teaser and you couldn't wait to have a go at me.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Doctor Who and the Aliens of London
    Doctor Who and the Rise of the Cybermen
    Doctor Who and the Family of Blood
    Doctor Who and the Stolen Earth
    Doctor Who and the Beast Below
    Doctor Who and the Rebel Flesh
    Doctor Who and the Bells of Saint John
    Doctor Who and the Robots of Sherwood

You just picked a mild few out of the minority that didn't make sense, the majority, however, as stated above, do make sense :p

Well of course I picked all the bad ones! Wouldn't have worked if I picked good ones like you did! :D
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Hearing some of these seems like Creating a title out of story is actually hard work.

One I did like was blink - don't blink
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Besides which, you claimed society was built upon 'respect and civility', not 'collaborative effort'. Shifting your argument may be convenient but it's hardly persuasive. I can collaborate with you without showing you the slightest respect or civility. It happens in every workplace every day.
    Oh, sure, you can have a workplace without civility, but it won't be a very effective or happy one.

No shifting involved - I said that civility allows society to flourish, not that civility is its foundation. Necessity and survival is the reason society exists, but civility and politeness greases the wheels.

This forum doesn't exist for the purpose of people being nice to each other, but it makes it a hell of a lot more pleasant to visit.
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, sure, you can have a workplace without civility, but it won't be a very effective or happy one.

No shifting involved - I said that civility allows society to flourish, not that civility is its foundation. Necessity and survival is the reason society exists, but civility and politeness greases the wheels.

This forum doesn't exist for the purpose of people being nice to each other, but it makes it a hell of a lot more pleasant to visit.

You know, I have only just noticed that you have no 'a' between the 'pn' of pan, (assuming you are indeed a saucepan).
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Koquillion wrote: »
    You know, I have only just noticed that you have no 'a' between the 'pn' of pan, (assuming you are indeed a saucepan).

:D Just some Johnny Saucep'n.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh don't be so over sensitive. This is a public forum. People are allowed to comment and critique. Considering how much people on here like to tear apart anything Moffat does its ironic they become so delicate if someone passes judgment on their own 'creativity'(and I use that term loosely).

There have been a few good suggestions. I just don't see the point of those that choose to discard an inventive title in favor of simple, literal minded titles that are akin to Friends and their 'The one where...'.

yes. Let change 'Utopia' to 'Travelling to the end of the universe with Captain Jack and Martha and meeting a Professor who isn't who he seems'.

'Blink?' Rubbish! How about 'Sally Sparrow and friends versus The Weeping Angels'. Yes. How creative.
    Literal minded titles such as "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" and "The Daleks in Manhattan" can work when used sparingly. Every so often, it's quite refreshing to have a Ronseal title which does what it says on the tin.

However, I agree that it's a little odd to replace creative titles with a list of Ronseals.

In answer to the OP, Love & Monsters should be replaced by "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

In fact, the cast and crew should record a commentary for that story in which they say nothing but "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." repeatedly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Literal minded titles such as "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" and "The Daleks in Manhattan" can work when used sparingly. Every so often, it's quite refreshing to have a Ronseal title which does what it says on the tin.

However, I agree that it's a little odd to replace creative titles with a list of Ronseals.

In answer to the OP, Love & Monsters should be replaced by "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

In fact, the cast and crew should record a commentary for that story in which they say nothing but "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." repeatedly.

I would definitely change the title 'Ronseal' to 'Clara and the Quick Drying Woodstain'.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D I agree with everything you have said in this thread!

Especially people being sensitive about being critisised when this whole forum seems to be about people slagging off the writers
  • MeissteMeisste Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    The Mysterious Planet- Wasteland
    State of Decay- The Wasting