Exodus of O2 (BE) Subscribers over sale to Sky

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    When did I say I was looking for the fastest speed I can get? I don't remember saying that at all.

Well, here:
    Well, that would not get me moving to BT, i want broadband that works at the fastest speed I can get, not what Bt think I should get.

After the last time I was with Bt, I would never use them again even if I was interested in watching some over paid men kicking a ball around a field for free, which I am not

Saying that it is good to see sky having some competition

That's where you said it.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    See your post #63
    zx50 wrote: »
    Well, here:

That's where you said it.

ah, right. i did not mean it the way ti sounded.
    what I meant is that I would want it at the fastest speed I can get it with the system I am using.

So if i was on ADSL,, then I would want it at the fastest speed ADSL can deliver it to me, Bt could never deliver it at the speed cable and wireless did. If I was on FTTC, again I want it at the fastest speed FTTc could get it to me, so if i am told that I can get 45Mb/s then that is what I want take away the over heads of cause.

The system I am using now works differently I get 10Mb/s because that is what I pay for, in fact it is 12, sometimes 13. If I want less I pay less, so I can have 5 or 2, there is also a way to get 30Mb/s, but it is only available to business and it is not cheap.

One of my problem with these larger ISPs is that they keep adding stuff on and slowly rise the price one way or another. Look at Bt now, take away evening calls, so you now got to pay for it, they may knock of a couple of quid from infinity, whihc is fine if you want it or can get it.

I remember when Bt first started giving people free evening and weekend calls, they put the price of line rental up to cover it, now they keep putting line rental up and have taken away the free evening calls.

And people wonder why I don't want another phone line and I gone for the system I have gone for.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do wonder why when you can have FTTC for about the same price, makes no sense. Just because you get telephony as part of the deal does not mean you have to plug a phone in and make calls.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah, right. i did not mean it the way ti sounded.
    what I meant is that I would want it at the fastest speed I can get it with the system I am using.

Ah, right. Okay.
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    I'm going to leave O2 (I'm out of contract, and have resisted the temptation to get a free deal to stay) because of (a) Murdoch, (b) the fact that I've got a Static IP and Annex M, neither of which Sky offer (c) that being a Sky customer will open me up to their trying to cross-sell me their chavvy TV service, which I don't want, and also insisting on taking their voice service, which I don't want and (d) the complete absence of technicals details in their communication since the takeover. I also use my own router, which Sky go out of their way to make as difficult as possible.

I'll be either going to one of the boutique operators like A&A, because then I can have native IPv6, or back to BT, because they're a known quantity.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ibatten wrote: »

I'll be either going to one of the boutique operators like A&A, because then I can have native IPv6, or back to BT, because they're a known quantity.

Why is that important?
    Does all youre network equipment support it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder why when you can have FTTC for about the same price, makes no sense. Just because you get telephony as part of the deal does not mean you have to plug a phone in and make calls.

I can't have it for that same price.

BT £23 for FTTC, £15.54 for line rental, comes to £38.54, plus £30 activation

Sky, £20 for FTTC, £14.50 line rental, not sure if there is a activation charge or not. £34.50

Plusnet FTTC £20, line rental £14.50, no activation fee. £34.50

Talk Talk, the must confusing to be honest on their website.
    as far as I can tell it is £6.50 for broadband, then Line rental is £14.95 and another Tenner on top of that for FTTC, comes to £31.45.

so the cheapest one is Talk Talk, but still more than what I am paying.

those are just the main ones, smaller Isps are higher in price and they offer less on FTTC.

then there is my phone line to be reconnected, how ever much that would cost.

You know full well that there are two ISps i am not going to go with and another one which I would stay clear of as it is part of Bt, so that leaves sky and that is a lot more than what I pay now.

i am happy with what I am using, so I have no idea why you are so concerned.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sky, £20 for FTTC, £14.50 line rental, not sure if there is a activation charge or not. £34.50

as far as I can tell it is £6.50 for broadband, then Line rental is £14.95 and another Tenner on top of that for FTTC, comes to £31.45.

those are just the main ones, smaller Isps are higher in price and they offer less on FTTC.

You know full well that there are two ISps i am not going to go with and another one which I would stay clear of as it is part of Bt, so that leaves sky and that is a lot more than what I pay now.

Why don't you give BT a call & see what they say? I wouldn't give my rental to anyone other than BT because Its a case of better the devil you know, I pay £34.40p a month for infinity option 2 because we have two calling features on the home phone, The line rental is £10.75 because we payed line rental saver what is people's problem with BT & I didn't pay an activation fee.
  • neil79neil79 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »
    Why don't you give BT a call & see what they say? I wouldn't give my rental to anyone other than BT because Its a case of better the devil you know, I pay £34.40p a month for infinity option 2 because we have two calling features on the home phone, The line rental is £10.75 because we payed line rental saver what is people's problem with BT & I didn't pay an activation fee.

BT charge £30 activation for Infinity but also give out £50 Sainsburys voucher so I would be £20 up but BT are more expensive than Sky or Plusnet. BT are giving out 'free' sport though so it's swings and roundabouts :)
  • James RalstonJames Ralston Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Are you going to take either their line rental or TV package ? - or are you going to stick with BB alone ?
    Grouty wrote: »
    BB alone, my line is BT.

Do you know how much you'll be paying for Sky BB (alone) ?

My line's with BT too and if the price is similar to what I'm paying 02, then I might consider sticking with Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats about right, I pay a tenner more for the faster FTTC. Remember you do have free phone calls included in that should you choose to use it. Its not that much more than you pay now and you'll more than double your speed which although you say you don't care about...you will when you use it. I'm getting 6 to 8mb/s on Gran Canaria which for me is just about OK. I'm using hola to unblock netflix and I get not picture stutter

My daughter bought a new house and moved last month, she phoned up TT to say she was leaving and she (as expected) got a heck of a good deal to stay with them, free connection, half price line rental for six months and a credit on her account for staying. The changeover was smooth, TT cut the old line on the day promised and she was back online on the day promised in her new house, can't fault that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiyama17 wrote: »
    Well I did. So there's your evidence.

I haven't left yet because I'm still deciding who to go with but I'll be gone soon. I won't go to Sky.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know how much you'll be paying for Sky BB (alone) ?

They've never mentioned a change in prices (yet) :p
    My line's with BT too and if the price is similar to what I'm paying 02, then I might consider sticking with Sky.

Same, i can't see the point in changing if theres no price change, or they have a similar pricing if they do change, as they'll be the same as O2, unlimted, unmanaged etc... :)

If you get the same speed/service as your getting now when transferred, then why would it matter if it came up as Sky, instead of O2 as your provider when you ran a speedtest.
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    Why is that important?
    Does all youre network equipment support it?

I'm making heavy use of IPv6 for communication between my home network and some offsite equipment, currently using a Hurricane Electric tunnel. It's preferable to paying for a /28, which few ISPs would give me anyway. Native IPv6 would be faster and easier. I'm using IPv6 + IPSec for most of the management logging, for example.

Yes, every device in the house supports IPv6 (iOS, Windows, LInux, Solaris, OSX) with the exception of a Linksys ethernet switch, which isn't secure enough to expose to the outside work anyway. But thanks for asking, anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray266 wrote: »

You must be kidding. Me go back to BT? no bloody way.
    I don't pay for any line rental. why should I pay BT or any other provider for that matter 12 months in advance for a service? £10.75 should be the normal charge. £15 a month is far too much for line rental, but Bt will keep putting it up and people will keep paying it.

I hear the phrase so often, better the devil you know, Maybe that is why people are stuck with what they have and never move suppliers of anything.

Devil is certainly a word I would use with BT, i went through hell with them, never again.

Thats about right, I pay a tenner more for the faster FTTC.

so why on earth don't they just put on their website, the proper price of FTTC, instead of trying to confuse people?
    Oh I forgot, this is Talk Talk after all, they like to confuse people it is easier to get them to sign up.
    Remember you do have free phone calls included in that should you choose to use it. Its not that much more than you pay now
    It is £2.45 more than what I am paying now. but why do you think I would want to pay extra to a company which I detest?
    and you'll more than double your speed which although you say you don't care about...you will when you use it.

That don't make sense, if the speed is faster then of cause I will use it, you don't have much choice to use the speed you are given.
    I'm getting 6 to 8mb/s on Gran Canaria which for me is just about OK. I'm using hola to unblock netflix and I get not picture stutter

I use Netflix as you know, far more than you do I expect and I can get HD with my 10Mb/s, so FTTc is not going to improve that.
    My daughter bought a new house and moved last month, she phoned up TT to say she was leaving and she (as expected) got a heck of a good deal to stay with them, free connection, half price line rental for six months and a credit on her account for staying. The changeover was smooth, TT cut the old line on the day promised and she was back online on the day promised in her new house, can't fault that.

Good for her, glad it went fine, but sadly that don't always happen, in fact it seems to be the norm for Talk Talk to muck up.

when their so called engineers leave someone with the BT socket pulled apart and don't seem to give a crap if anything works or not, what he did i could have done and better. Her broadband is still naff. the problem is she have not got around to doing anything about it like leave Talk Talk.

You know full well that I would never go to Tallk Talk, even if they was the last ISP in this country.
    Also i am still n a contract for 12 more months.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neil79 wrote: »
    BT charge £30 activation for Infinity but also give out £50 Sainsburys voucher so I would be £20 up but BT are more expensive than Sky or Plusnet. BT are giving out 'free' sport though so it's swings and roundabouts :)

I didn't get the voucher wasn't bothered about that, I just didn't want to pay the activation fee £34. was ok with me for the phone calling features we have I know its only £3 or £4 discount but I'm not bothered about that so you takes your choice:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must be kidding. Me go back to BT? no bloody way.
    I don't pay for any line rental. why should I pay BT or any other provider for that matter 12 months in advance for a service? £10.75 should be the normal charge. £15 a month is far too much for line rental, but Bt will keep putting it up and people will keep paying it.

I hear the phrase so often, better the devil you know, Maybe that is why people are stuck with what they have and never move suppliers of anything.

Devil is certainly a word I would use with BT, i went through hell with them, never again.

so why on earth don't they just put on their website, the proper price of FTTC, instead of trying to confuse people?
    Oh I forgot, this is Talk Talk after all, they like to confuse people it is easier to get them to sign up.

It is £2.45 more than what I am paying now. but why do you think I would want to pay extra to a company which I detest?

That don't make sense, if the speed is faster then of cause I will use it, you don't have much choice to use the speed you are given.

I use Netflix as you know, far more than you do I expect and I can get HD with my 10Mb/s, so FTTc is not going to improve that.

Good for her, glad it went fine, but sadly that don't always happen, in fact it seems to be the norm for Talk Talk to muck up.

when their so called engineers leave someone with the BT socket pulled apart and don't seem to give a crap if anything works or not, what he did i could have done and better. Her broadband is still naff. the problem is she have not got around to doing anything about it like leave Talk Talk.

You know full well that I would never go to Tallk Talk, even if they was the last ISP in this country.
    Also i am still n a contract for 12 more months.

No, its not 'the norm', if it was do you really think they would still have millions of customers lol When you go FTTC you will need to pay someone for a line, you may as well have the option of free phone calls as well, beat skype.

Your irrational hatred of companies means your loosing out on better services; if loosing out floats your boat then fill your boots son:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, its not 'the norm', if it was do you really think they would still have millions of customers lol

Talk Talk have millions of customers because they are cheap and people will put up with the service because of that or they just can be bothered to change or they think the speed they get is the norm until they change providers.

When you go FTTC you will need to pay someone for a line, you may as well have the option of free phone calls as well, beat skype.

I only use skype to chat to a couple of people abroad, it is free, the rest of the time I either use my mobile phone or use my VoIP.
    When I had a home phone before i never used it, which is why First telecom kept cutting my line rental to a tenner. i think that what it was.
    Your irrational hatred of companies means your loosing out on better services; if loosing out floats your boat then fill your boots son:D

I am happy with what I have got, i am not losing out on anything. Tell me what I am losing out on?

I am supporting a local company, with local engineers who knows what they are on about and not reading a script. If anything goes wrong with their system it is up and running in no time, if there is a problem with the module on my roof they will be up the same day to sort it. I know because my friend who had the system before me had a problem and they was there in a hour and fixed the problem.

My friend can now get FTTc and did think of it, but decided to stay as she is, mainly because of the speed that the repair was carried out, because she runs a business from home, she need the internet, no good hanging around waiting for BTOR for hours and waiting for some with a script to tell her to turn this of, turn that off, turn it back on.

The problem she had was her Daughter had pulled the router to clean under it and did not disconnect the module cable from it, so a wire came out. they came, they saw and sorted it. :)

The one problem I did have is I switched the power supply off to the module and did not realise, i thought about it after, switch it back on and away it went.

I am not saying it is always perfect, there have been a few times when it was on a go slow, but it did not last long.

As i said, I don't feel like I am missing out on any thing, certainly not the home safe of Talk Talk and Huawei and no it can't be disabled as such.

i am not missing out on what Bt gives to their customers., not interested in football, so I got got no need for their BT Sport app and online player,

Not enough BT wi-fi stuff around here to bother with their Unlimited wi-fi, anyway got some with vodafone and if I need to use wi-fi in town I can use Allpay.

BT SmartTalk, already got something like it with sipgate.

BT Family Protection, no point, only me here.

BT Home Hub, I have a router and I don't like locked routers anyway

2GB BT Cloud, I use dropbox for the small amount I put on the cloud.

My mate done one of the better things, going to plusnet, pretty good price and no gimmicks, just a shame their router is crap and he still can't get the speed he should be getting and that it still belongs to BT.

i am not that fond of sky but if I was going for FTTc, UI would try them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talk Talk have millions of customers because they are cheap and people will put up with the service because of that or they just can be bothered to change or they think the speed they get is the norm until they change providers.

I only use skype to chat to a couple of people abroad, it is free, the rest of the time I either use my mobile phone or use my VoIP.
    When I had a home phone before i never used it, which is why First telecom kept cutting my line rental to a tenner. i think that what it was.

I am happy with what I have got, i am not losing out on anything. Tell me what I am losing out on?

I am supporting a local company, with local engineers who knows what they are on about and not reading a script. If anything goes wrong with their system it is up and running in no time, if there is a problem with the module on my roof they will be up the same day to sort it. I know because my friend who had the system before me had a problem and they was there in a hour and fixed the problem.

My friend can now get FTTc and did think of it, but decided to stay as she is, mainly because of the speed that the repair was carried out, because she runs a business from home, she need the internet, no good hanging around waiting for BTOR for hours and waiting for some with a script to tell her to turn this of, turn that off, turn it back on.

The problem she had was her Daughter had pulled the router to clean under it and did not disconnect the module cable from it, so a wire came out. they came, they saw and sorted it. :)

The one problem I did have is I switched the power supply off to the module and did not realise, i thought about it after, switch it back on and away it went.

I am not saying it is always perfect, there have been a few times when it was on a go slow, but it did not last long.

As i said, I don't feel like I am missing out on any thing, certainly not the home safe of Talk Talk and Huawei and no it can't be disabled as such.

i am not missing out on what Bt gives to their customers., not interested in football, so I got got no need for their BT Sport app and online player,

Not enough BT wi-fi stuff around here to bother with their Unlimited wi-fi, anyway got some with vodafone and if I need to use wi-fi in town I can use Allpay.

BT SmartTalk, already got something like it with sipgate.

BT Family Protection, no point, only me here.

BT Home Hub, I have a router and I don't like locked routers anyway

2GB BT Cloud, I use dropbox for the small amount I put on the cloud.

My mate done one of the better things, going to plusnet, pretty good price and no gimmicks, just a shame their router is crap and he still can't get the speed he should be getting and that it still belongs to BT.

i am not that fond of sky but if I was going for FTTc, UI would try them.

My speed increased when I went to TT as did my neighbour, its a fabulous steady rock solid connection. I don't know where you get these ideas that a: people are idiots and b: TT is all that bad, whilst they have had and still have some problems with over subscription swamping them they are in fact improving year on year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My speed increased when I went to TT as did my neighbour, its a fabulous steady rock solid connection.

Out of all the people I know that have Talk Talk, only 2-3 have a connection that I would say is what they should have.

I don't know where you get these ideas that a: people are idiots

Not idiots, It just that some don't realise that they could get better. Others just can be bothered to change.

and b: TT is all that bad, whilst they have had and still have some problems with over subscription swamping them they are in fact improving year on year.

seen too many talk talk connections over the last few years to say that they offer a good service, also have had too many words with their customer services on behalf of other people to realise that their customer service stinks. They don't give a crap as long as they got your money, if it goes wrong they send one of their so called engineers down, I have no idea where they trained to be a engineer, i have my doubts that they have been trained at all to be honest. The one that came up to a friends place was useless. the could have sent her a router and I could have put it in place, I could have put the connection into the test socket. He then said it was better, vanished saying they would be in touch and that was it.
    Well she now got 1Mb/s instead of under 500Kb/s, Wow, if that is the best they can do then it is a wonder they get any customers.

By the way I had to tidy up the cables and put the socket back together.

i have heard Talk Talk sales people lie, I have seen twice how Talk Talk tries to connect people to their system, even if they not been asked to.

They are a disgrace of a company, i would not never ever have anything to do with them, or Car phone warehouse,
    If this is the best we can do as a British company then it is no wonder foreign companies are taking over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of all the people I know that have Talk Talk, only 2-3 have a connection that I would say is what they should have.

Not idiots, It just that some don't realise that they could get better. Others just can be bothered to change.

seen too many talk talk connections over the last few years to say that they offer a good service, also have had too many words with their customer services on behalf of other people to realise that their customer service stinks. They don't give a crap as long as they got your money, if it goes wrong they send one of their so called engineers down, I have no idea where they trained to be a engineer, i have my doubts that they have been trained at all to be honest. The one that came up to a friends place was useless. the could have sent her a router and I could have put it in place, I could have put the connection into the test socket. He then said it was better, vanished saying they would be in touch and that was it.
    Well she now got 1Mb/s instead of under 500Kb/s, Wow, if that is the best they can do then it is a wonder they get any customers.

By the way I had to tidy up the cables and put the socket back together.

i have heard Talk Talk sales people lie, I have seen twice how Talk Talk tries to connect people to their system, even if they not been asked to.

They are a disgrace of a company, i would not never ever have anything to do with them, or Car phone warehouse,
    If this is the best we can do as a British company then it is no wonder foreign companies are taking over.

To be honest, I really don't believe you, I think your making things up again:rolleyes:
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member

They are a disgrace of a company, i would not never ever have anything to do with them,
    You forgot the part about repeated cold-calling (even when you tell them you are on the TPS) and the hounding in supermarkets. If that is how they treat non-customers then I'd hate to be under contract with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I really don't believe you, I think your making things up again:rolleyes:

Oh yes, you don't like hearing bad things about the companies you love, like Microsoft and Talk Talk.

Why would i make it up? But then you, your sister, your sisters, friends brother all have had good service from Talk Talk and they all love windows 8 and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Maybe it sounds the same to you, that people I know seems to have problems with Talk Talk, just the way it is.

I got no reason to lie, even if I hate Talk Talk.

Sure i know people who have had good service from talk Talk, but they are few and far between and they don't seem to be in Hereford.

Believe what you want, to be honest, I don't really care.

You have still not answered my question of what you think I am missing out on?

Maybe one day I will go to FTTC, i can't see it at the moment, i am happy with being free from BT and their dreaded DLM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    You forgot the part about repeated cold-calling (even when you tell them you are on the TPS) and the hounding in supermarkets. If that is how they treat non-customers then I'd hate to be under contract with them.

Never had repeated cold calling, they did call me once ont he phone and I told them to go away. i think I had another one, but that was it. it was their door knockers that used to annoy me, but thankfully, not had any for a while.
    I have not seen them in town either for a while, it is normally sky these days, saw sky today stuck away in our Maylords orchards, which is a small shopping centre.

But at least sky don't come after people like Talk Talk did, sky just stay under their cover until someone comes up to them.

What annoyed me about TT is that they lied to me the first time they came here, saying that i could get 5Mb/s and that they was going to unbundle the exchange in the May and yet it was nearly two years after that they unbundled the exchange. No way would i get 5Mb/s from here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes, you don't like hearing bad things about the companies you love, like Microsoft and Talk Talk.

Why would i make it up? But then you, your sister, your sisters, friends brother all have had good service from Talk Talk and they all love windows 8 and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Maybe it sounds the same to you, that people I know seems to have problems with Talk Talk, just the way it is.

I got no reason to lie, even if I hate Talk Talk.

Sure i know people who have had good service from talk Talk, but they are few and far between and they don't seem to be in Hereford.

Believe what you want, to be honest, I don't really care.

You have still not answered my question of what you think I am missing out on?

Maybe one day I will go to FTTC, i can't see it at the moment, i am happy with being free from BT and their dreaded DLM.

I'm loyal so long as the service is good. You just have so many 'my mate' stories that you no longer have credibility, its gone, I take most of what you say with a pinch of salt and judging by other members posts I'm not the only one who thinks you make it up as you go.

What are you missing? Speed, rock solid connection etc not that you'll understand because you live in Noise world lol