PS4 Or not ?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In an ideal world i would have been doing the same,but i had to think long and hard about affordability and unfortunately the XB1 failed that test

Totally understandable, I started saving 18 months ago expecting PS3 level of pricing structure so was surprised when the pricing was as low as it is.

Bone is still a more risky purchase that PS4 but feel that its still worth the early buy in.
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally understandable, I started saving 18 months ago expecting PS3 level of pricing structure so was surprised when the pricing was as low as it is.

Bone is still a more risky purchase that PS4 but feel that its still worth the early buy in.

If MS would have just released a pack without the stupid Connect at the same price as the PS4 with a bigger push towards real 'GAMERS' (hate that term but you know what i mean) after they got burnt at E3 then they would be getting lots more interest.

I honestly cant believe how bad they messed their PR up, i was really looking forward to MS at E3 but couldnt believe what i was hearing :eek:
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-J wrote: »
    If MS would have just released a pack without the stupid Connect at the same price as the PS4 with a bigger push towards real 'GAMERS' (hate that term but you know what i mean) after they got burnt at E3 then they would be getting lots more interest.

I honestly cant believe how bad they messed their PR up, i was really looking forward to MS at E3 but couldnt believe what i was hearing :eek:

agreed,after they basically said Kinect was integral but not necessarily needed,they should have released a Kinect-less version for a lower price point,and give people the chance to upgrade at their own choice(like they did on 360)
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    agreed,after they basically said Kinect was integral but not necessarily needed,they should have released a Kinect-less version for a lower price point,and give people the chance to upgrade at their own choice(like they did on 360)

Why, its not like Kinect been bundled is harming pre-orders of the Xbox 1 and Microsoft want Kinect to be a standard feature of the console which can only happen if it ships with all consoles.

If sales seriously lag behind the PS4 sales over the course of the next year you can almost guarantee a kinectless edition will be available in the next 12months.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Why, its not like Kinect been bundled is harming pre-orders of the Xbox 1 and Microsoft want Kinect to be a standard feature of the console which can only happen if it ships with all consoles.

If sales seriously lag behind the PS4 sales over the course of the next year you can almost guarantee a kinectless edition will be available in the next 12months.

Whilst it may not be harming sales,you can guarantee that a Kinectless edition would have made the decision for some of us who have chosen PS4 based on price a much harder one

and as ive said in the past my current Kinect for 360 stands proud like a TV ornament and gets used once in a blue moon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst it may not be harming sales,you can guarantee that a Kinectless edition would have made the decision for some of us who have chosen PS4 based on price a much harder one

and as ive said in the past my current Kinect for 360 stands proud like a TV ornament and gets used once in a blue moon

Mine too, the kinect was faulty and useless in most cases from day one but while I would prefer the option on whether to have one or not, I hope the MS have learned from their mistakes and this one works as promised.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for me, and I say that as an owner of the previous 3 PS consoles. Had enough of Sony's poor attitude towards it's customers throughout the life-cycle of PS3. Whether it be releasing updates that took away features, updates that renedered internal upgraded HDD's useless or updates that rendered third-party hardware useless and not helping with the problem at all.
    Have read the PS4 (centre of home entertainment) will not play audio cd's or MP3's! - unless the owner subscribes to Sony's own music service that is...

Not interested in the XBOX either, come back SEGA!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »
    Not for me, and I say that as an owner of the previous 3 PS consoles. Had enough of Sony's poor attitude towards it's customers throughout the life-cycle of PS3. Whether it be releasing updates that took away features, updates that renedered internal upgraded HDD's useless or updates that rendered third-party hardware useless and not helping with the problem at all.
    Have read the PS4 (centre of home entertainment) will not play audio cd's or MP3's! - unless the owner subscribes to Sony's own music service that is...

Not interested in the XBOX either, come back SEGA!

I think the issue is that while the PS3 was designed to be the multi media hub of the living room, the PS4 appears to be a pure game playing machine.

It sucks that Sony took a way "nice to have" features that in my case were used not very often but still would have liked to keep them since I paid so much for the PS3 in the first place.

It has to be mentioned that in the UK, Sony customer services is auful but in the USA its amazing and cant do enough for you.

I will give MS its credit as they repaired my original Xbox 360 twice after its red ring of death despite being out of warranty.

I really hope we have seen the back of those long winded taking forever updates and downloads!

How can these take so long when MS's updates go through really quickly.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have read the PS4 (centre of home entertainment) will not play audio cd's or MP3's! -

They arent advertising ps4 as a home entertainment centre this time as far as I know. The ps3 was advertised as 'only does everything', but ps4 is 'for gamers.'
    Xbox1 is the entertainment console this time around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the issue is that while the PS3 was designed to be the multi media hub of the living room, the PS4 appears to be a pure game playing machine.

It sucks that Sony took a way "nice to have" features that in my case were used not very often but still would have liked to keep them since I paid so much for the PS3 in the first place.

It has to be mentioned that in the UK, Sony customer services is auful but in the USA its amazing and cant do enough for you.

I will give MS its credit as they repaired my original Xbox 360 twice after its red ring of death despite being out of warranty.

I really hope we have seen the back of those long winded taking forever updates and downloads!

MS's years of experience (from PC's) dealing with updates really helped them there. Sony need to get that aspect sorted this time around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    They arent advertising ps4 as a home entertainment centre this time as far as I know. The ps3 was advertised as 'only does everything', but ps4 is 'for gamers.'
    Xbox1 is the entertainment console this time around.

But even the PS1 played audio cd's! :D It even had a visual program that 'tried' to go along with the music.

Now, three console generations later you wont be able to.

Don't get me wrong, I don't buy consoles to play music on, it's not a big deal - I'm merely highlighting that Sony will only permit the owner to play music on the system if they subsrcibe (i.e. money, control) to Sony.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But even the PS1 played audio cd's! :D It even had a visual program that 'tried' to go along with the music.

Now, three console generations later you wont be able to.

Don't get me wrong, I don't buy consoles to play music on, it's not a big deal - I'm merely highlighting that Sony will only permit the owner to play music on the system if they subsrcibe (i.e. money, control) to Sony.

Got to admit that I have never played music through my Playstations.
    I suppose that Sony cut the music player as we all/most of us have alternative ways to listen to music via Ipod/spotify etc

I think it looks bad because it appears that Sony are saying that you must use their music player subscription service.

Personally I would prefer the ability to listen to podcasts while I am playing or have a way to access youtube in the background.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't get me wrong id rather it did play everything, but just saying they are only advertising it this time around as a games machine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong id rather it did play everything, but just saying they are only advertising it this time around as a games machine.

Conceded, they may not be advertising it as such.
    Yet Sony Senior Vice President Phil Rosenberg said this week: "PlayStation is dedicated to giving our fans the best entertainment options". :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are saying entertainment options then yeah not offering what we'd class as basics isn't too clever. I hadn't seen that. I usually just see the 'for players' thing.
    Yeah....they're t.wats lol :)
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lack of CD playback is disappointing but not something which will bother me as I only ripped one CD the whole time I have had my PS3. It was slow so I did the rest on the PC and copied them over.

But not having MP3 playback or the ability to connect to a media server is shocking. With the news Xbox 1 will support these I hope they quickly get added to the PS4 as I use both quite a bit on my PS3 and this could be something to sway my purchase decision when it comes time for me to more to the next generation. Currently I favour the PS4 but with 50% of my PS3 usage been streaming media it makes that system a lot less attractive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    The lack of CD playback is disappointing but not something which will bother me as I only ripped one CD the whole time I have had my PS3. It was slow so I did the rest on the PC and copied them over.

But not having MP3 playback or the ability to connect to a media server is shocking. With the news Xbox 1 will support these I hope they quickly get added to the PS4 as I use both quite a bit on my PS3 and this could be something to sway my purchase decision when it comes time for me to more to the next generation. Currently I favour the PS4 but with 50% of my PS3 usage been streaming media it makes that system a lot less attractive.

Totally agree, the only way to make things right again would be to have an indi apps store on the PS4 and also on the Vita not just in terms of games but actual system apps.

How much if any would Sony allow their system to be played with?

Not at all likely I know but it would add an interesting distinction between Bone and Ps4?
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MS imposed a size limit to patches for the 360 (although they waived them for many AAA games to keep up with the PS3 which has no such limit) because they sold a console without a HDD.

I think the limit is around 8MB for most 360 games which is why they are fast. Some PS3 games have patches close to 2GB, although there are some games with small patches (less than 10MB) too. Additonal content is often added in those patches on the PS3. I'm not sure how this content is handled on the 360 for games that haven't had their oversized patch waived.

Skullgirls is a recent example of a game that had to be given special clearance for an oversized patch (upwards of 400MB) by MS, but the PS3 version was patched with additional content back in 2012.

An example of a game that didn't get the latest patch on the 360 is Unreal Tournament 3 due to its size. The PS3 version got the Titan update which provided a complete overhaul of the UI (only the PS3 and PC versions look alike) and added all of the additional content that the 360 version received (5 maps and split screen mode) as a timed exclusive for being delayed by 6 months to market. So whilst the 360 version didn't need the additional content, it still has the original UI which isn't as user friendly as the updated Titan UI.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say "pure", just that it's initially prioritising games. Both consoles have features missing at launch in at least some territories. Obviously neither company could do everything they wanted and still meet their deadlines. PS4 seems to have given priority to games, and have delivered a relatively stable platform to developers, and that has been reflected in the launch titles. My impression is that the XBox One launch titles are suffering as much from platform instabilities as from inherent relative weaknesses in the hardware. So arguably Sony has made the better trade-off. I'm confident they will add more multi-media hub features post-launch. Doing that was less time-critical than getting a stable game platform.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd rather it be a pure gaming machine than a settop tv box that XBone seems to be more of. Those features of the XBone wont even work outside the US. Fat lot of good that is here. The most Kinect seems to be is making the owner a fancy TV remote control as long as your in the US.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather it be a pure gaming machine than a settop tv box that XBone seems to be more of. Those features of the XBone wont even work outside the US. Fat lot of good that is here.
    Microsoft say we will get the EPG support in 2014. (See, eg, Gizmodo).
    The most Kinect seems to be is making the owner a fancy TV remote control as long as your in the US.
    It's also useful for Skype. That could be huge; because of the way its integrated into everything else, it could make video calling a commonplace rather than a rarity. Kinect is also invaluable for exercise apps. It can monitor your work-out and warn you, eg, that you aren't lifting your knees high enough. Again, a potentially killer feature.

If you want a pure gaming box, that's fine, but I think many families will find it easier to justify the purchase if it does so much more. People are seriously underestimating what Microsoft have here.