Options

What Should Happen With K9?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
Forum Member
Now That The Sarah Jane Adventures Is Over, What Will Happen With K9? I Love Him And Would Like Him To Join The Doctor Onboard The TARDIS Once Again! As The Series Seems To Be Returning To The Roots Of The William Hartnell Era, I Think It Would Be Good :)

But, I Also Thought Of Another Idea. I Think K9 Should Join The Paternoster Gang, I Think He Would Add More And Could Be Best Friends With Strax, I Think The Scenes Between Them Would Be Awesome :D

What Do You Think Should Happen With K9? Would ou Like To See Him Again And If So How Would You Like Him To Return? Or Do You Think K9 Should Be Retired Now?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It think it's time for K9 to return. Such significant characters should not be forgotten. Also, I'd like to see Rani, Toymaker, Doctor's Daughter Jenny and some RTD companions back. :)

I Think K9 Should Join The Paternoster Gang, I Think He Would Add More And Could Be Best Friends With Strax, I Think The Scenes Between Them Would Be Awesome :D

Great idea!
    I like crossing eras! :)
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I did think that Who couldn't get any better until K9 arrived. Trouble is that I was quite young and times were different. He doesn't really fit in very well in a less ingenuous time. Which kind of makes me sympathise with the best robotic dog ever.

But I don't think it would be fair to Capaldi (or even Strax) to try to sell us K9 in the more angsty and serious modern era.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I do think that K9 is a bit at odds with Doctor Who as it is now... it's a tremendous struggle to fit him in logically and credibly. Besides, it gives both School Reunion and Journey's End an extra bit of novelty about them - particularly the former. He was also great in Series 1 of The Sarah Jane Adventures, though I cared less for his appearances in Series 3 - I believe there was a contractual obligation to feature him at least once in each story or something at that point.

Isn't the character in a non-Whoniverse-canon Australian spin-off or some such now any way? I mean, I do love returning characters and even love K9... but this is one instance where I feel the dog has had his day.
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think that K9 is a bit at odds with Doctor Who as it is now... it's a tremendous struggle to fit him in logically and credibly. Besides, it gives both School Reunion and Journey's End an extra bit of novelty about them - particularly the former. He was also great in Series 1 of The Sarah Jane Adventures, though I cared less for his appearances in Series 3 - I believe there was a contractual obligation to feature him at least once in each story or something at that point.

Isn't the character in a non-Whoniverse-canon Australian spin-off or some such now any way? I mean, I do love returning characters and even love K9... but this is one instance where I feel the dog has had his day.
    They made one series of that show, and nothing more has been made since.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member

The dog days are over :D
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    What should happen to K9 ? He should be put in the recycling bin and quietly fogotten about.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take him down to one of those scrap metal merchants, you will get a few quid for him,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    andy1231 wrote: »
    What should happen to K9 ? He should be put in the recycling bin and quietly fogotten about.
    Take him down to one of those scrap metal merchants, you will get a few quid for him,

Dont Say That About K9 :'( I Am Reporting You To The RSPCA x)
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blow him up and never mention him again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just had to google to find out whatever happened to the K9 series (the non BBC one), it seems the second series is still in development. I'm watching an episode of the first series on youtube now to see if it is as bad as I imagined.

Poor old K9, he's a bit marmite amongst Who fans.
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved seeing him in school reunion,but that's all he should be a once in a blue moon appearance for the old fans.
    He doesn't really fit in with the modern stuff and it would be terrible throwing in a gimmick early in Capaldis run.Besides with all the running Nu Who has he wouldnt keep up.
    I'd be happy for him to show up in any future anniversary type specials though
  • Options
    HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'd probably upset the people who love K9 (which I did by the way) but I wish they'd used K9's head instead of Handles in Time of the Doctor. Would have been bittersweet to see him reduced to his only working part over so many years, and would have provided a neat way to see the end of K9 when his lights go out for the last time.

Would probably have been more upsetting than the loss of a Doctor to be honest :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'd probably upset the people who love K9 (which I did by the way) but I wish they'd used K9's head instead of Handles in Time of the Doctor. Would have been bittersweet to see him reduced to his only working part over so many years, and would have provided a neat way to see the end of K9 when his lights go out for the last time.

Would probably have been more upsetting than the loss of a Doctor to be honest :)

K9's lights have already gone out several times over the years, the Doctor just builds another one! Even the one with Sarah Jane was another new one, her original died at the end of School Reunion.

I think we've got at least three or four of them out there, there must be a room in the Tardis full of K9 parts where the Doctor goes to build them.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    K9 Mk I was with Leela (this is the one who appeared in the Australian show, presumably he ended up in the future when escaping the Time War - Leela remained on Gallifrey, so she will have been left trapped in the pocket universe), Mk II is with Romana (and thus, most likely also trapped in Gallifrey's pocket universe), Mk III was destroyed in School Reunion, and Mk IV is now with Luke Smith. So Elisabeth Sladen's death doesn't affect K9 Mk IV, as Sarah doesn't even have him any more. The earlier models were already written out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    K9 Mk I was with Leela (this is the one who appeared in the Australian show, presumably he ended up in the future when escaping the Time War - Leela remained on Gallifrey, so she will have been left trapped in the pocket universe), Mk II is with Romana (and thus, most likely also trapped in Gallifrey's pocket universe), Mk III was destroyed in School Reunion, and Mk IV is now with Luke Smith. So Elisabeth Sladen's death doesn't affect K9 Mk IV, as Sarah doesn't even have him any more. The earlier models were already written out.

Do you know the origin of the one in the (non-BBC) childrens series. It starts off as the original K9 before being transformed into a new prop in the first episode.

I don't care about canonicity, just curious if they tried to tie it in somehow.

Edit: sorry, for some reason it didn't register that the childrens show was made in Australia, for a moment I thought that was yet another show!
  • Options
    HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lii wrote: »
    K9's lights have already gone out several times over the years, the Doctor just builds another one! Even the one with Sarah Jane was another new one, her original died at the end of School Reunion.

I think we've got at least three or four of them out there, there must be a room in the Tardis full of K9 parts where the Doctor goes to build them.

True, but I just think it could have been done. Maybe he just can't remember how to build a K9 anymore. After all, even Handles was only circuitry (all the organics have long since gone) and he couldn't fix that. I just think a final ".....Master" as the light went out could have been a nice exit for K9

As for a room full of parts, he's probably lost it by now. Or he's missing that one washer......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »

Nobody's days are over in a show about time travel!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, but I just think it could have been done. Maybe he just can't remember how to build a K9 anymore. After all, even Handles was only circuitry (all the organics have long since gone) and he couldn't fix that. I just think a final ".....Master" as the light went out could have been a nice exit for K9

As for a room full of parts, he's probably lost it by now. Or he's missing that one washer......

Ha, this is the point where someone always mentions that a quarter of the Tardis got ejected in Castrovalva, so let's just assume all the K9 spares got ejected then.

Accept how did he make Mark IV.... Probably for the best he's forgotten or Handles might have been stuck on a spare K9 body, and that would have been ridiculous.

He seems to be retired from the show now, but I guess he'll never be killed off in Who as the rights holder is keeping K9 alive in his own show. Although the fans know there are many versions of K9, it might still be a bit odd to have had a final emotional goodbye and an ongoing series.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and some RTD companions back. :)

Not Martha, though. Her voice! Eurgh!! :o Most of the time when she spoke, it sounded as though fingernails were being run down a blackboard.

Would love to see Mickey back, but I could see there being a snag to this. For him to return, you'd have to have Martha appear in some way, even if it's only for a little bit. They are married, as they said in The End of Time.

Donna should appear at some point, as should Captain Jack Harkness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Not Martha, though. Her voice! Eurgh!! :o Most of the time when she spoke, it sounded as though fingernails were being run down a blackboard.

Would love to see Mickey back, but I could see there being a snag to this. For him to return, you'd have to have Martha appear in some way, even if it's only for a little bit. They are married, as they said in The End of Time.

I loved Martha.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »

anyone but Martha. Even the absorbantof or whatever he was called was better.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now That The Sarah Jane Adventures Is Over, What Will Happen With K9? I Love Him And Would Like Him To Join The Doctor Onboard The TARDIS Once Again! As The Series Seems To Be Returning To The Roots Of The William Hartnell Era, I Think It Would Be Good :)

But, I Also Thought Of Another Idea. I Think K9 Should Join The Paternoster Gang, I Think He Would Add More And Could Be Best Friends With Strax, I Think The Scenes Between Them Would Be Awesome :D

What Do You Think Should Happen With K9? Would ou Like To See Him Again And If So How Would You Like Him To Return? Or Do You Think K9 Should Be Retired Now?

He and Mr Smith should travel with the Doctor.:)
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Martha.

Me, too. One of my favourite episodes was the Shakespeare one.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Me, too. One of my favourite episodes was the Shakespeare one.

Of you can get it watch are showing the series with Martha in at the moment, on weekdays 8am and 6pm, they just finished showing 42 on Friday, so they are Human Nature on Monday and The Family of Blood on Tuesday.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just thought. One thing you cannot do in Doctor Who, is when characters return, have them played by diffrent people. You have to have the original person back to play that character. Only the Time Lords/Time Ladies can change their appearance.

It is okay with Elizabeth I though. We've seen her at different points in her life. Joanna Paige in her twenties, Vivienne Bennet in her forties, and Angela Plescence in Elizabeth I's elderly years, in her 60s.