Vodafone sign a deal to begin developing "4G" services

lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Also known as "Super 3G" to the mobile industry. Taken from BBC News.
Mobile phone firms and manufacturers, including NTT DoCoMo and Vodafone, have joined forces to develop the next generation of high-speed networks.
The technology is intended to be 10 times faster than today's 3G services.

Phones and other devices featuring high-resolution movie players and games, as well as related content services, will be created.

The deal comes as the sector bids to cut manufacturing and development costs as revenues face competition pressures.

The group, which also includes Cingular, Siemens and Alcatel, will work together on the new technology known as "super 3G".

DoCoMo said the first stage of development will be completed by 2007, but no date has been set for a commercial launch.

Existing 3G infrastructure, which has cost phone companies billions in recent years, will need to be upgraded but not replaced.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4141715.stm

Comments

• nodnolnodnol Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go again :D
  • lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commercial launch will be 2009....then delayed till 2010....then 2015

You get the picture

*rolls eyes*
  • steve007steve007 Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee18xx wrote:
    Commercial launch will be 2009....then delayed till 2010....then 2015

You get the picture

*rolls eyes*
    As long as vodafone keep the customer services uk based I dont care when its launched! :):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steve007 wrote:
    As long as vodafone keep the customer services uk based I dont care when its launched! :):D

I doubt that very much. By then, customer services will be all over Asia, not just India.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Vodafone are very Newbury and Berkshire orientated though - they have always made it known that they want to keep the whole vodafone company (including Vodafone networks abroad) all UK based.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Vodafone Australia's call centre is over here somewhere?
  • steve007steve007 Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nodnol wrote:
    I doubt that very much. By then, customer services will be all over Asia, not just India.
    Great! More languages to learn in order to convey my needs to a UK network!!!

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steve007 wrote:
    Great! More languages to learn in order to convey my needs to a UK network!!!

:D
    Crazy aint it! :D
    lee18xx wrote:
    I think Vodafone are very Newbury and Berkshire orientated though - they have always made it known that they want to keep the whole vodafone company (including Vodafone networks abroad) all UK based.
    I bet they will eventually outsource. They have to, to keep up with joneses.
    lee18xx wrote:
    If I'm not mistaken, I think Vodafone Australia's call centre is over here somewhere?
    That's the first time I heard that. How strange. Must be cheaper over here then than Australia.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    And yet, I'll still want 2G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too :D there is nothing attracting me to 3g as of yet!