Cats dribbling

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
Forum Member
Just wondering if anyone elses cat salivates when they are really happy? He doesn't do it all the time, but my cat will sometimes be sprawled over my lap purring in ecstasy and then he starts slobbering on me!:eek:

He never does it to anyone else. Is this something to worry about or is he just showing how much he loves me?:rolleyes::D

Comments

• derbyshire duckderbyshire duck Posts: 14,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *passes a box of tissues*
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    DirtyGerty wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone elses cat salivates when they are really happy? He doesn't do it all the time, but my cat will sometimes be sprawled over my lap purring in ecstasy and then he starts slobbering on me!:eek:

He never does it to anyone else. Is this something to worry about or is he just showing how much he loves me?:rolleyes::D

Officially, it can be a sign that they were weaned too early. But generally it seems to be that they work their way up to such a level of soppiness that they forget to care about dribbling!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Lol. Thanks for the replies. The weaned too early theory could well be right because he also "pummels and sucks" alot (especially if I wear anything woolly:eek:).
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My old cat used to do that when she was really happy.

Something I'd forgotten, actually. God, how I miss her.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    My old cat used to do that when she was really happy.

Something I'd forgotten, actually. God, how I miss her.

Aww sorry blueblade I didn't mean to upset anyone. It sounds like she was a very happy cat x
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww sorry blueblade I didn't mean to upset anyone. It sounds like she was a very happy cat x

Oh, no worries, DirtyGerty. It was a nice memory of a lovely cat :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my big cat dribbles when he is happy, like now, he also claws and pummels me, also he dribbles in his sleep.

He was not weaned too early, his mum cat was a pro. But, he still tries to suckle my dog, who hates it, and still puts up with him after 4 years. He is just very needy.

Right now he is up my jumper, to keep himself warm, and to be a little closer to me. So I will have a wet patch on my hip.
  • omipaloneomipalone Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah my boy used to do that all the time whilst purring at the loudest possible level as well as 'playing the piano' on my thigh (usually followed with me screaming "OUCH!!!")

He seemed content for the 13 fantastic years I had him (I like to think its because I rescued him from abusive previous owners & he was happier with me)

Do miss the old fella though (although I don't miss the damp, saliva soaked t-shirts :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,560
    Forum Member
    Some cats dribble when they have toothache or something else is wrong with their mouth.
  • pamuelapamuela Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Thomas dribbles when sitting on the window sill and gazing at me.
    Endearing until he shakes his head to get rid of the build-up of saliva and spatters me, the window and anything else nearby!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member

Yep... my cat dribbles a little if she's being really fussy and purry
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah my cat does this too, its not nice, but I dont hold it against him:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,526
    Forum Member
    My cat is a serial dribbler whenever he's happy! He drooled on my brand new handbag and stained the leather! :mad:

But I love him anyway :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Most of these dribblers seem to be male.

Must be more a boy cat thing. Neither of mine (both female) have ever gone dribbly .... not that I've noticed anyway.

I have one that shouts a lot? If she can't find anyone (not that she exactly looks hard!) she'll just sit in the hall and MIAOW at maximum volume (which is MUCH louder than her mum!) until someone shouts on her. She'll then trot in to see you .....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    sancheeez wrote: »
    Most of these dribblers seem to be male.

Must be more a boy cat thing. Neither of mine (both female) have ever gone dribbly .... not that I've noticed anyway.

I have one that shouts a lot? If she can't find anyone (not that she exactly looks hard!) she'll just sit in the hall and MIAOW at maximum volume (which is MUCH louder than her mum!) until someone shouts on her. She'll then trot in to see you .....

Mines a girl and a dribbler.
    Forum Member
    Mines a girl and a dribbler.

Hence my use of the word "most".

6 to 2 in favour of boy dribblers so far ......
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I've got 2 slobbery "Queens":D 6 - 4?
  • foonkfoonk Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have 2 females..........sisters...........they both drool, purr, and pummel! :D

One drools and pummels hard, but purrs at a soft level.

Her sister drools well, and does enjoy a short pummel, but her purring is like a pneumatic drill :eek:
    Forum Member
    Ah well.

6 all.

Thats that theory out the window then ..... :D
  • irvin38Airvin38A Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat dribbles too when really getting fussed. She's also a girl, so 6-7 :p
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make it 6-8;) my little Lucy is like a tap when she's happy.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My oscar is a dribbler and also treads grapes.
    Forum Member
    Had a friend round yesterday who was wearing a beautiful mohair jumper-the cat was beside himself drooling all over it:eek: