The 2015 Oscars Thread

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birdman could well have the most nominations, but I think it's unlikely to take away the most oscars.

The San Francisco Film Critics:

Picture: “Boyhood”
    Director: Richard Linklater
    Actor: Michael Keaton, “Birdman”
    Actress: Julianne Moore, “Still Alice”
    Supporting Actor: Edward Norton, “Birdman”
    Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, “Boyhood”
    Original Screenplay: “Birdman”
    Adapted Screenplay: “Inherent Vice”
    Cinematography: “Ida”
    Production Design: “The Grand Budapest Hotel”
    Film Editing: “Boyhood”
    Animated Feature: “The Lego Movie”
    Foreign Language Film: “Ida”
    Documentary: “Citizen Four”
    Marlon Riggs award for courage & vision in the Bay Area film community: Joel Shephard
    Special citation for under-appreciated independent cinema: “The One I Love”
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect Boyhood and Birdman to share the major trophies come Oscar day.

Interesting that Norton is getting support in the Best Supporting Actor category. He's also due and this is possibly his best work in years. He's been in the business a long time, but you can't take anything away from JK Simmons who is the frontrunner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I expect Boyhood and Birdman to share the major trophies come Oscar day.

Interesting that Norton is getting support in the Best Supporting Actor category. He's also due and this is possibly his best work in years. He's been in the business a long time, but you can't take anything away from JK Simmons who is the frontrunner.

For me, it's actually nice to see Hawke looking like getting nominated, too very solid actor who generally put in a good performance but often overlooked. Norton at least has been nominated a couple of times, albeit both a long time ago.

edit: having a senile moment there, i think Hawke was actually nominated for training day! :blush:

( a film of his I didn't actually enjoy much, probably why!)

That said, Simmons was elecrticfiying in Whiplash, I really hope he wins. Other than Jake Gyllenhaal's turn in Nightcrawler it's my favorite performance of the year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    For me, it's actually nice to see Hawke looking like getting nominated, too very solid actor who generally put in a good performance but often overlooked.

Agree with you there. Very good actor and been in lots of films i've watched and enjoyed. Can do serious drama along with genre fare. Was he ever nominated for the 'Before' series of films? If not, he should have been. He received very good reviews for the final film in that installment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was he ever nominated for the 'Before' series of films? If not, he should have been. He received very good reviews for the final film in that installment.

well he had co-screen writing credits for Sunset and Midnight, which earned him nominations, but nothing for acting!

Critics Choice nominatsions came out today, they have a stupid number of category's so here are the main ones:

BEST PICTURE
    Birdman
    Boyhood
    Gone Girl
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    The Imitation Game
    Nightcrawler
    Selma
    The Theory of Everything
    Unbroken
    Whiplash

BEST ACTOR
    Benedict Cumberbatch – The Imitation Game
    Ralph Fiennes – The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Jake Gyllenhaal – Nightcrawler
    Michael Keaton – Birdman
    David Oyelowo – Selma
    Eddie Redmayne – The Theory of Everything

BEST ACTRESS
    Jennifer Aniston – Cake
    Marion Cotillard – Two Days, One Night
    Felicity Jones – The Theory of Everything
    Julianne Moore – Still Alice
    Rosamund Pike – Gone Girl
    Reese Witherspoon – Wild

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Josh Brolin – Inherent Vice
    Robert Duvall – The Judge
    Ethan Hawke – Boyhood
    Edward Norton – Birdman
    Mark Ruffalo – Foxcatcher
    J.K. Simmons – Whiplash

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Patricia Arquette – Boyhood
    Jessica Chastain – A Most Violent Year
    Keira Knightley – The Imitation Game
    Emma Stone – Birdman
    Meryl Streep – Into the Woods
    Tilda Swinton – Snowpiercer

BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE
    Birdman
    Boyhood
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    The Imitation Game
    Into the Woods
    Selma

BEST DIRECTOR
    Wes Anderson – The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Ava DuVernay – Selma
    David Fincher – Gone Girl
    Alejandro G. Inarritu – Birdman
    Angelina Jolie – Unbroken
    Richard Linklater – Boyhood

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
    Birdman – Alejandro G. Inarritu, Nicolas Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Jr., Armando Bo
    Boyhood – Richard Linklater
    The Grand Budapest Hotel – Wes Anderson, Hugo Guinness
    Nightcrawler – Dan Gilroy
    Whiplash – Damien Chazelle

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
    Gone Girl – Gillian Flynn
    The Imitation Game – Graham Moore
    Inherent Vice – Paul Thomas Anderson
    The Theory of Everything – Anthony McCarten
    Unbroken – Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, Richard LaGravenese, William Nicholson
    Wild – Nick Hornby

BEST EDITING
    Birdman – Douglas Crise, Stephen Mirrione
    Boyhood – Sandra Adair
    Gone Girl – Kirk Baxter
    Interstellar – Lee Smith
    Whiplash – Tom Cross

I think the trend of the big contender is becoming clear, but the fringes of the race are fascinating. It's starting to look like TGBH could pull off a few oscar nominations with how it's performing thus far, Nighcrawler too seems to be gaining some momentum.

eta: there have been a couple more film critics awards annonced, but as there are one or two more tomorrow I'll update then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yikes I have neglected this thread, very busy week!

Film Critics award continue on the whole to show Boyhood and Birdman leading (slightly more BIrdman than Boyhood over the last week though), Nightcrawler continues to gain some traction as well. There have been too many for me to list them all now though! :blush:
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm so glad Nightcrawler is being recognised - a brilliant film and an amazing performance in every sense of the word from Jake.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely to see Marion Cotillard gettting some love. Incredible actress.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Best film of the year for me is Interstellar so far, will hopefully see Boyhood and Birman during christmas hols.

Nightcrawler was great but not really the best film of the year, I thought Interstellar as a whole is the best picture this year (originality, score, acting, script etc;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jalal wrote: »
    Best film of the year for me is Interstellar so far, will hopefully see Boyhood and Birman during christmas hols.

Nightcrawler was great but not really the best film of the year, I thought Interstellar as a whole is the best picture this year (originality, score, acting, script etc;)

I thought Intersteller was pretty average, to be honest. It's not really original, imho - the very fact it's constantly being unfavourably compared to 2001 rather scuppers the notion of it being original. The plotting was quite poor, the acting was adequate, the score was very good, I'll agree with you there.

Only nominations I think it may get are for score, visual effects and cinematorgraphy.

Nightcrawler on the other hand, I do think felt quite innovative. Especially from a first time director. And Jake for me gives the performance of the whole year in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely to see Marion Cotillard gettting some love. Incredible actress.

Would love to see her nominated as Best Actress this year. It will be a miracle if she receives a nomination, but it would be thoroughly deserved. She is fantastic.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like they may as well give Best Actress to Julianne Moore now going by current momentum.

I've seen Still Alice and while I wasn't blown away by the film I thought it was a strong, subtle performance. I was pleasantly surprised since I thought there'd be showy screaming "I CAN'T REMEMBER THE GOD DAMN DATE" etc in an effort to win an Oscar for the sake of it.

It's definitely her time I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like they may as well give Best Actress to Julianne Moore now going by current momentum.

I've seen Still Alice and while I wasn't blown away by the film I thought it was a strong, subtle performance. I was pleasantly surprised since I thought there'd be showy screaming "I CAN'T REMEMBER THE GOD DAMN DATE" etc in an effort to win an Oscar for the sake of it.

She might have starred in some iffy films over the years but you can't deny her talent. She is extremely well liked. I saw her in Maps To The Stars and thought she was fantastic in that. One of her very best films. If i had to nominate her for anything it would definetely be for her performance in that.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was it better than Julie Christie's performance in Away from her?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will give Julianne Moore the oscar as an overdue win, not because her performance was very good. Julianne Moore should of won for the Hours imo. Much like Kate Winslet. She was dreadful in The Reader and if anything, she wasn't the lead in that film, she was supporting and it is still said to day, she should of won for Revolutionary Road.

Julianne Moore struggled immensely in Still Alice, which pains me to say as she is one of my fav actresses. I found it a very insincere emotionless performance. To answer the post above, it was no where near as stunning as Julie Christie's performance.

Out of all the best actress performances I have seen so far, I want Pike to win at the moment. Pike was the early frontrunner for the oscar but the attention is more and more going on to Moore. Although some have Witherspoon down as the dark horse, but I don't personally think Witherspoon is worthy based on her filmography and incredibly uneven performances on whether she deserves to be a double academy award winner, even if her performance in Wild is brilliant. To have her win two oscars, is putting her in the same camp as Maggie Smith, Jodie Foster, Vivien Leigh and many other better and much deserving actress of those double wins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favorite performance of Moore's was in Far from Heaven, wow what a performance that was, so heart breaking. Great piece of film making overall, with some fine supporting turns but Moore is the heart and soul of the film.

I haven't seen Still Alice yet though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You'll be waiting a while. It's not out till 6th March 2015.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favorite performance of Moore's was in Far from Heaven, wow what a performance that was, so heart breaking. Great piece of film making overall, with some fine supporting turns but Moore is the heart and soul of the film.

Ahh yes, and she was stunning in The End Of The Affair
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll be waiting a while. It's not out till 6th March 2015.

Does that mean she'll be ineligible for the BAFTA's?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Does that mean she'll be ineligible for the BAFTA's?

Very likely

I think that is why Dallas buyers club was never nominated

That might mean Rosamunde Pike is a shoe in for winning the bafta. The Brits like to reward at least one british actor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very likely

I think that is why Dallas buyers club was never nominated

That might mean Rosamunde Pike is a shoe in for winning the bafta. The Brits like to reward at least one british actor.

With the BAFTA's, if it's Best Actor then i wouldn't be surprised Cumberbatch getting the win over Keaton.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the BAFTA's, if it's Best Actor then i wouldn't be surprised Cumberbatch getting the win over Keaton.

I would say perhaps Eddie Redmayne over Cumberbatch. Actually in general, if anyone was to beat Keaton to the oscar, I think it could be Eddie as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say perhaps Eddie Redmayne over Cumberbatch. Actually in general, if anyone was to beat Keaton to the oscar, I think it could be Eddie as well.

Redmayne over Keaton for the Oscar? :D Never going to happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You never know
    There could be a shock. All the winners of the last few years have been so predictable, i would like a shock.

There have been some in the past
  • Sagand42Sagand42 Posts: 64
    Forum Member

You probably would have said the same about Mcconaughey beating Ejiofor this time last year.

There certainly a path to it happening. Redmayne doesn't have to compete with Keating for the Drama Golden Globe and being British gives him an advantage at Bafta. I would put Redmayne favourite to win both of those.

Keating is favourite for SAG, but Theory of Everything did get a surprising ensemble nomination even though it's essentially a two performance film (and I have doubts it was Felicity Jones that bowled them over). Stranger things have happened than they decide to spread the wealth give Birdman ensemble, Redmayne actor and Patricia Arquette supporting actress for Boyhood.