Options

A lot of hatred for Malala on FB over the killing of innocent kidss

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup she's just a kid who hasn't achieved anything yet because her life has barely started. So why has she got a Nobel prize?

To make her a hero and matyr in the eyes of the 'West' against the so called evil Taliban.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To make her a hero and matyr in the eyes of the 'West' against the so called evil Taliban.

You don't think the Taliban are evil?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

I think they're worse than evil if there is such a thing.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't the Western media support people like Qari Fatih seferagić.

Perhaps because the "Western media" caters for the vast majority of secular westerners who are sick to the teeth of Islamic "religious" people.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    People are always saying that Muslims should do more to stand up to the extremists in their midst. Now we have a young woman, barely more than a child, who is doing exactly that and still it's not enough.

If we are serious about combating the dangerous extremists within Islam we need to support the ones like Malala who put themselves in danger by speaking out, not stick the knife in as soon as the going gets rough.

She's a child FFS. A child who has achieved more in her short life than most of us ever will. People who are blaming Malala for this atrocity may as well join the Taliban since they seem intent on doing their propaganda work for them.

She will be 18 next year so is hardly a child. Malala is old enough to know her own and have her own opinions.

Calling her a child could be seen as patronizing.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

Evil is relative in most cases. The Taliban consider themselves to be the good guys and the Pakistani government to be the evil ones
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I don't know a lot about Malala. However exactly what is she doing to stop extremism. Can someone point or list this who knows more. Is speaking out enough?

Malala is speaking out, but no idea on what subjects. Maybe she is tackling contentious issues and is doing so with erroneous facts. Maybe some of these facts are which rile some Muslims.

Who made Malala a spokesperson for all 5bn Muslims around the world. Muslims are not some homogenous entity and most have different languages, culture and even their Islamic beliefs differ to soem degree.

Perhaps some muslims would prefer a religious person without a secular liberal outlook. Why can't the Western media support people like Qari Fatih seferagić.

She is speaking out about education for girls in places where they are not getting equal (or any) access to schools - she started in Pakistan, and the Taliban shot her for it. The publicity around this has enabled her to speak out about education for girls (and the consequent opportunities for women) across the world.

No-one made her a spokesperson and she has never said she was one... she is one girl trying to address a problem that she has personal experience of and has been violently attacked for opposing.

Maybe, if you think the Western media should support something you should campaign for it, like Malala did for girl's education. No-one is stopping you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find the way she always talks about herself in the third person very pretentious. Maybe it's a cultural thing.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know a lot about Malala. However exactly what is she doing to stop extremism. Can someone point or list this who knows more. Is speaking out enough?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMalala_Yousafzai&ei=4r2SVJjmGMLsaOiXgJgI&usg=AFQjCNGd4BPdf8eseYVIpckz56FCRyUopg&bvm=bv.82001339,d.d2s
    Who made Malala a spokesperson for all 5bn Muslims around the world. Muslims are not some homogenous entity and most have different languages, culture and even their Islamic beliefs differ to soem degree.

The Taliban did when they tried to execute her for the "crime" of going to school, She certainly didn't ask for a bullet in the face or the attention that followed - she took something bad that happened to her and turned it into an opportunity to do good. Personally I find that admirable.
    Perhaps some muslims would prefer a religious person without a secular liberal outlook. Why can't the Western media support people like Qari Fatih seferagić.

Malala is a religious muslim - just not one of the barbaric murderous ones that are doing so much to drag the name of Islam through the mud in the eyes of the world.
  • Options
    Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what is pretentious is saying Islam needs time to 'grow up' so to speak.

Islam is not in its infancy. They believe the Quran rules are divine. Malala is not a visionary for being shot in the face and saying she has a right to go to school. She would be if she spoke out against passages in the Quran the denigrate women, homosexuals and encourage war.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what is pretentious is saying Islam needs time to 'grow up' so to speak.

Islam is not in its infancy. They believe the Quran rules are divine. Malala is not a visionary for being shot in the face and saying she has a right to go to school. She would be if she spoke out against passages in the Quran the denigrate women, homosexuals and encourage war.

Absolutely agree with this.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

And the Christian bible has pretty much the same passages or words twisted to that effect anyway (In both it's how you read it and see the words) and some Christian counties follow it to the full stop.

So should other Christians who speak about the bible condemn that every time to
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's such an obvious excuse. There are many newer religions that do not have the same problems.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    I do find the way she always talks about herself in the third person very pretentious. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

English is not her first language and she has only just learned it it's quite common when someone who doesn't not have English as first language to speak in the third person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the Christian bible has pretty much the same passages or words twisted to that effect anyway (In both it's how you read it and see the words) and some Christian counties follow it to the full stop.

So should other Christians who speak about the bible condemn that every time to

Yes, they should.

I'm not remotely interested in being choosy about which religion I criticise. It's just that some are a lot louder than others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

She is Malala. She is The Woman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be more impressed if she renounced her faith.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Christianity is 500 years older than Islam and is only now dragging itself out of the oppression of women, LGBT people and not supporting war. In places like Uganda they are reverting back to criminalising gay people, with the support of evangelical Christians from the US who also believe the rules are divine. Of course Islam needs to change, but if it took hundreds of years to change 'western' religions then why is there an expectation that Islam will be any different?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    jclock66 wrote: »

Maybe she will one day, maybe she won't. She's still very young.

The point is, people should be free to leave any religion without ostracism, let alone death threats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Christianity is 500 years older than Islam and is only now dragging itself out of the oppression of women, LGBT people and not supporting war. In places like Uganda they are reverting back to criminalising gay people, with the support of evangelical Christians from the US who also believe the rules are divine. Of course Islam needs to change, but if it took hundreds of years to change 'western' religions then why is there an expectation that Islam will be any different?

What about Sikhs? There doesn't seem to be any problems with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »

Why assume Islam in the East has to follow the story of Christianity in the West?

Christianity was a European sanitisation of an Eastern belief system.
    Islam is an Eastern practice of an Eastern belief system.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Impressing you is probably not high on her list of priorities.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Then she would not be listened to by the very people she is trying to change and help. It's all very easy to walk away from something you disagree with - much harder to try and change it from the inside as she is doing. Girls are going to get educations as a direct result of her campaigning - some of them might go on to help change other forms of oppression against women (and others).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Impressing you is probably not high on her list of priorities.

Surely that depends on what the Quran has to say about jclock66?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why, would that make her a better person in your eyes?