Options

how long to get to grips with new job?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
Forum Member
Hi all,
I started a new job on Monday- part time. The people are lovely and the job (office) seems great. I can't remember how long it takes to settle in to a new job properly? When will I start feeling as though I'm all settled in and less overwhelmed by all the 'new stuff' ? It's been so long since I started a new job, I really can't remember! Tips?
Melissa

Comments

• Options
    mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the job, really. If it is something you really know how to do, then it will be quicker. If you are learning new skills, it will be longer.

The way I know that my new colleagues have accepted me is when the banter starts....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw, Melissa, you'll be fine. Having only started on Monday, part-time especially, you've had hardly any time yet to get used to anything.

Give yourself time, be friendly to everyone, and you'll be absolutely fine!

In the past it's taken me 4 - 6 weeks to get used to a new job.

Good luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    i found it took me far longer to settle down in a part time job than it did when i was full time - after a few weeks i was feeling frustrated with how slowly i was picking it up until my boss pointed out that i'd technically only worked the equivalent of just over one full working week. also inevitably you forget stuff between shifts if there's a bit of a gap! after that i was a bit nicer to myself!

good luck, and if in doubt ask someone!
  • Options
    Jaded81Jaded81 Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, even full time it has always taken me about 3-4 weeks to settle in to it.

I find that it helps to show you're trying to organise yourself to let the bosses know you're getting to grasps with everything. I always bring my own notepad when training on something new, writing down all the little things so I need never ask again. There's nothing more annoying than when a new colleague starts and they ask the same question over and over again for weeks, sometimes months on end.

If you're in an office and someone plonks some kind of help sheet in front of you to guide through a certain procedure, try and go through it in your own time, re-interpret it yourself and make your own one.

I also always e-mail stuff to myself instead of leaving post-its and paper trails around to be lost.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel so dumb when I start a new job.

Learning to use new equipment, getting to know it's foibles is the most stressful part for me. I feel I look a fraud but I am OK operating familiar equipment. I always jam the photocopiers:o

Also, getting to know people's names is stressful too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I suppose it all depends on a number of things. Ive been six months in my current job, and already it feels like Ive been there for years. Having come into a really small team of only two other people and just when the business was starting up also made it easier since we were all in the same boat even though they had been there a year setting up. Now we are a larger team of 12 persons and with just 6 months in IM one of the veterans lol