Free SSL Certificates for Sub-Domains

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know this is unlikely as I haven't been able to find any, but I thought I'd ask here just in case.

I've just finished sorting out my new NAS drive and i'd ideally like to enable the HTTPS facility to just make it a tad more secure but I can't seem to find any free solutions for an SSL certificate.

I've got a free dynamic dns name setup to point to the drive, but since it's free, it's got a subdomain and most free SSL certificate options i've found only let you use a top level domain - startssl being the main one that does this.

If it comes down to it, I might just have to pony up the cash for a proper domain, but i'm that tight i'd obviously prefer a free solution first and foremost!.

A self signed one might be an option as i'll generally be the only one using the drive, but if anyone has any good ideas i'd be most grateful. thanks :)

Comments

• Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No SSL certificate provider will allow you to get a certificate of a subdomain for a domain you don't own due to security concerns.

Getting your own domain and pointing a CNAME record from a subdomain to your dynamic DNS name is the only way.

I do something similar. My FreeNAS box also hosts my personal website accessible over SSL (startssl cert), but my Internet connection has a static IP so i never bothered using dynamic DNS.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw cheap ones around for about 30 EUR a year. I'll have to check at work. But self signed should be enough if it's for your use. You do not have to prove to yourself it's you.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go with a self-signed one, even though sometimes i forget who i am :D

Chrome doesn't seem to like them very much though - it works fine in IE and I have a HTTPS login, but Chrome sticks a great big red line through the padlock and HTTPS part of the URL so i'll have to try and figure that one out.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DOH!

It's working now in Chrome .. I was accessing the control panel for the NAS with the bookmark I had stored which accessed it by the IP address rather than the DDNS address.

Entered that in and it's working fine and has HTTPS enabled now and no horrible red marks anywhere!