What are Liverpool and Newcastle like to visit?

andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
Forum Member
I'm thinking of attending a comedy show in November and will be going to either the Liverpool or Newcastle date. Now, neither city is the closest date to me but i chose them simply as they offered a hotel/s near to the venue as i didn't really fancy walking around a city i don't know at night on my own trying to navigate to my hotel.

Anyway, so i can go to either LIverpool or Newcastle and as this will be an overnnight stay i thought id make the most of it and be a bit touristy with my spare time there, so just hoping to gather people thoughts on what these cities are like to visit and experience, as well as practical things like how easy they are to get around ect ect.

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dislike Liverpool intensely, so my vote would go to Newcastle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to both, my daughter went to Durham University so I've been to Newcastle more times.
    I liked both places, but it depends on what you like doing. I've been for football, shopping, weddings and more shopping. My time has always been a bit limited, but I would like to go back and stay for longer.
    I found people were friendly and helpful.
    Trip adviser is helpful as it lists the top attractions, things to do and places to eat, so it will give you a good idea of which is more suitable for you.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle is a great city but i may be biased. Easy as hell to get around as the city centre is only about a square mile but it packs a lot in to a small space and youve got the metro which makes it easy to visit the coast.

Never been to liverpool (well i have but i didnt really get to see it properly).
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool is a better city if you want to see some decent football but on every other count Newcastle wins.
  • andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    Is there not slightly more to actually do in L|verpool? If i go there i will be attending the event at the Echo arena and staying at a hotel right next to it in the Albert Dock area, which seems to have a lot of museums and attractions itself and the main shopping centre just up the road.

To be honest i know very little about what Newcastle has to offer.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool gets better by the week. One advantage of the city centre is that everything is connected in that you can walk from the waterfront right up to the cathedrals and there is a continuity of shops, bars, restaurants etc and lots of routes to choose from.
    Too many attractions to mention. No matter where you stay in the city centre you can walk to wherever you're going. Trains and buses run directly in and lots of car parking to choose from.
    Visited Newcastle recently really liked the waterfront bit between the bridges.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy614 wrote: »
    To be honest i know very little about what Newcastle has to offer.

Lots of drunk women wearing very little.

However, Liverpool isn't that much different in that regard.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Liverpool is a better city if you want to see some decent football but on every other count Newcastle wins.

Really? What is there in the way of sightseeing in Newcastle?
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool every time,, dock area redevopment, , loadsa museums, Port Sunlight, The Beatles industry, iconic landmarks.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool is great, loads to do an see.. And totally spotless....
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dislike Liverpool intensely, so my vote would go to Newcastle.

Please explain poster.

No pressure, just in your own words :-)
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only had fleeting visits to both cities but the locals seemed to be very friendly and warm people in both cities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't be disappointed visiting Newcastle.

A nice walk along the quayside with all the bridges including a foot bridge. Loads of new hotels, plenty of restaurants and clubs and it's all within easy walking distance including the Eldon Square shopping centre.

The Metro train service has a lot of stops close together in the centre of Newcastle and will also take you to the coast.
  • Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would definitely recommend Liverpool, it has changed so much over the last 5 years for the better. There's plenty to do, I particularly like the maritime museum and the museum of Liverpool life which are both at Albert Dock. A 10 minute walk away from Albert Dock is Liverpool One which is good for shopping. There are plenty of bars and restaurants at Albert Dock but can be quite pricey so I would head into the centre.
    I went to a hen do in Newcastle years ago, from what I remember it was a really nice city but never done much sightseeing as you can imagine.
    Both cities I would feel very safe in and the people are very friendly and proud of where they are from and are only to happy to help with directions etc.
    Have fun wherever you decide to go OP
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please explain poster.

No pressure, just in your own words :-)

Just my personal opinion. Nothing to get upset about. :)
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in Liverpool from 2002-05 and had a lengthy visit to Newcastle in 2005 and based on those standards I'd choose Newcastle every time. I had some really fun nights out there.

I always found Liverpool a somewhat dreary, depressing place, even on nights out, however, a friend who lives there now tells me it has improved massively in the last decade (and oh it needed it).
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newcastle also has the Centre for Life and good museums.

As others have said you can hop on the metro and go to the coast.

The quayside is lovely and you could go to the Baltic if that's your sort of thing.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    You wouldn't be disappointed visiting Newcastle.

A nice walk along the quayside with all the bridges including a foot bridge. Loads of new hotels, plenty of restaurants and clubs and it's all within easy walking distance including the Eldon Square shopping centre.

The Metro train service has a lot of stops close together in the centre of Newcastle and will also take you to the coast.

So what you are basically saying then is, besides eating, drinking & shopping there is really nothing else to see and do in Newcastle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    Newcastle also has the Centre for Life and good museums.

As others have said you can hop on the metro and go to the coast.

The quayside is lovely and you could go to the Baltic if that's your sort of thing.

Also hop on a train to Durham which is one of the north's few World Heritage sites and one of the finest cathedrals in Europe.

Newcastle has improved massively over the last few years. When I was a kid the quayside was just empty warehouses and burnt out cars now it's full of bars, restaurants, hotels and galleries.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also hop on a train to Durham which is one of the north's few World Heritage sites and one of the finest cathedrals in Europe.

Newcastle has improved massively over the last few years. When I was a kid the quayside was just empty warehouses and burnt out cars now it's full of bars, restaurants, hotels and galleries.

Durham is a beautiful place to visit.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newcastle has some great museums. I particularly like the Discovery Museum. It's a day out in itself.

Have only been to Liverpool once but it seemed to have a great shopping centre if that's your thing.

People were friendly which was nice too.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One disadvantage Liverpool has is that it is full of Liverpudlians and you could bump into Cilla Black singing:D

Been to both cities and they both have their good and bad points but I prefer Newcastle of the two
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I love Durham, often visit so, yes, would recommend too.
  • jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all honesty both cities are very similar in terms of size and tourist attractions... Liverpool may have slightly more, but there again Newcastle is near Durham. Both are very unique (scouse/Geordie). I'd just pick the cheapest one and go to the other one next year :)

I love both cities and would choose them over Manchester or Birmingham any day!
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle doesn't have too much touristy itself but Durham is nearby which is good for a few hours.
    Newcastle mostly shines for nightlife.

I think you might be quite a bit older than me.
    I'd say the quayside has gotten terrible over the last few years, when I was a kid it was the nightlife centre but now it is rather dead (Albeit pretty) with most having moved up to the station area.