Is Peter Capaldi a good choice for the 12 Doctor?

1234568»

Comments

• be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Peter Capaldi!!!!!!

Even more exciting than ITV's Tipping Point!!!!!

Peter is coming to Doctor Who next year!!!!!!!!
    Upset you can only vote once, Ray? Peter would be down to 8.5% approval, rather than 85%, if only your relentless defamation could somehow be represented in the figures.

Still, you can always kid yourself that you represent the imaginary "silent majority" or something.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Ray, I don't know what your problem with Peter Capaldi is and neither do I care but us, the mjaority actually are excited by his casting and can't wait to see him in action.
  • DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I find Peter Capaldi an... intriguing choice. I find it quite difficult to imagine the show simply "continuing as normal" with Capaldi. I think that they might be about to do something quite different with the show, and that they chose Capaldi specially with a specific purpose in mind. Perhaps the next big story-arc is going to explore the whole "Time War" thing, or something like that. And I suppose John Hurt must fit into it, somehow.

Anyway, this is much more exciting than waiting for Tennant or Smith to begin their eras, because it feels like something different is about to unfold.
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he is a wonderful choice, and I personally haven't been so excited about Doctor Who for quite a while. Another youngish good looking actor would have been boring IMO. The same dynamics, the same stories. Now we can see some different stories, and I honestly believe that Peter Capaldi is an excellent actor who will bring something new to the role (and we have a good looking slightly older actor in the role).

The show can't stagnate, and it shouldn't. I find it incredibly sad that it's all become so shallow that a 55 year old actor leads to outcry's of "too old" etc. from one part of the fandom (even questionning whether he can make it up the stairs).
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and Mrs Gnome watched the reveal show. Mrs Gnome is 29 (+1) and she is a relatively new nu-who fan. However, I have educated her well, upon the reveal this is what she said
    "wow, excellent choice. He already looks like the doctor, sort of if you sent DT one way and JP the other way in the hadron collider and smashed them together"
  • petebluepeteblue Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Great choice, Really looking forward to seeing Peter take over next year. Thought Matt Smith was good but not the best Doctor ever, I think Peter will be excellent, and a great idea by Steven Moffat to have a older Doctor.
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just hope he doesn't overdo it like the last two. For both, it was appropriate, but capaldi needs to be a little more reserved/understated...
  • ShhhSilenceShhhSilence Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    In answer to the thread topic, yeah Capaldi is a great choice! He's very good at acting, which is possibly the most important skill in the role. Also, when he was introduced in the live show, I liked his 'both hands in the air, all fingers wave' wave. Who does that? Sorry, I mean, Who does that! :-) Hopefully he'll get the consistently good writing that he's used to too.