Call the Midwife Series Three Thread,

Comments

• duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved tonight . Cant say I miss Jenny at all . I prefer it without her actually . Is Trixie i going to have to fight for her man next week ? If so I am on Trixies team
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good episode tonight I liked the POW back story, and the crockery :)
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »
    What a load of crap this so called drama is, it's always about bl**dy babies every week.

British have no clue when it comes to edge of the seat drama: Breaking Bad, Lost, Dallas, Vampire Diaries I could go on an on.

CTM is just so boring.....

Dallas is edge of your seat drama? Maybe when JR was shot.....

CTM is grittier than that, it deals with the grinding poverty of the East End of London.
    It deals with the shadows of WWII, the true horrors of The Workhouse, disease that have been eradicated in this country now, such as Polio and the beginnings of the NHS.
    Sounds like the complaint of someone not allowed to watch Top Gear on BBC2.
  • radiogaga80radiogaga80 Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Ehm... I know I can be a bit slow when it comes to hints but when even I am counting the amount of cigarettes the doctor smokes... Gosh, they wouldn't block any adoption because of his smoking, would they? :p
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Ehm... I know I can be a bit slow when it comes to hints but when even I am counting the amount of cigarettes the doctor smokes... Gosh, they wouldn't block any adoption because of his smoking, would they? :p

No.

My old GP used to smoke a pipe In his surgery.

He was also there when I was born, in all my years I've never met a better doctor. He knew what was wrong as you walked through the door without even saying a word to him.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not in those days. Smoking was not then considered to be harmful to the smoker or others.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Ah, thanks seejay.

So the "suffering" is simply a hook so they can do anything with her character. No problem surely in the writers giving her a baby then, as the entire show now is fictional and it would make a great ending for a Xmas special.

People have said that they have run out of stories from the books, but is that right?. Were there stories in Jennifer Worth's books that weren't used that readers thought should have appeared?.

The woman who had a black man's baby and gave it up for adoption was in the first Call The Midwife book.
  • runfor yourliferunfor yourlife Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Love this series, but would really have liked to watch the whole episode !!! Sky+ ended a few minutes before the end and sky catch-up only downloaded the first 42 minutes. Not happy
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of crap this so called drama is, it's always about bl**dy babies every week.

British have no clue when it comes to edge of the seat drama: Breaking Bad, Lost, Dallas, Vampire Diaries I could go on an on.

CTM is just so boring.....

there might be just a teeny weeny hint in the title:D

oh dear, breaking bad, dallas, lost...ho hum;-) some one who appreciates that level of mindless drivel is not going to appreciate call the midwife,,..i rest my case!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it just me or has sheila become really boring? i think i preferred her as a nun, all she seems to do is whine and she's married to the lovely Dr Turner!! and has timothy for a stepson, some people just don't know when they're well off!!

**tuts loudly** :D
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    is it just me or has sheila become really boring? i think i preferred her as a nun, all she seems to do is whine and she's married to the lovely Dr Turner!! and has timothy for a stepson, some people just don't know when they're well off!!

Shelagh was great as a nun, but the writers have decided that she is in line for the Mrs Grumpy award for 1960 with all they have put the character through...:D

How would you feel if you went through the wringer as Shelagh has?. I doubt most of the female FM's on here would be too chuffed tbh, as she has gone from a nun who loves her vocation and her calling as a midwife, to a slightly cranky middle aged frump with a disabled stepson. Also, she has no chance of a kid of her own and left with weak lungs due to TB....

Not exactly a prescription for jollity is it?....:)

**Tuts louder than you**:p
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's always about bl**dy babies every week.

British have no clue when it comes to edge of the seat drama: Breaking Bad, trash Lost bored after 2 seasons, Dallas, You call that drama? Vampire Diaries puerile dross for teenagers I could go on an on yes you certainly did.

Wow, a programme about midwives has BABIES in it?....:o

Well I never.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Shelagh was great as a nun, but the writers have decided that she is in line for the Mrs Grumpy award for 1960 with all they have put the character through...:D

How would you feel if you went through the wringer as Shelagh has?. I doubt most of the female FM's on here would be too chuffed tbh, as she has gone from a nun who loves her vocation and her calling as a midwife, to a slightly cranky middle aged frump with a disabled stepson. Also, she has no chance of a kid of her own and left with weak lungs due to TB....

Not exactly a prescription for jollity is it?....:)

**Tuts louder than you**:p

well look at patsy/!! she had a horrendous past being a POW and she still manages to be cheerful!! and caring and never whines and is never boring!

so there!!
    i still prefer sheila as a nun...she's better off, i dont think she can cope with real life!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Was anyone else reminded of "TENKO" when Patsy was telling Trixie of her time in the internment camp?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Loved tonight . Cant say I miss Jenny at all . I prefer it without her actually . Is Trixie i going to have to fight for her man next week ? If so I am on Trixies team

In the preview of next week's episode there was a moment of Patsy dancing with Fred with a voice over of the Reverend saying something about Trixie being able to have her pick of anyone she wanted and he having two left feet. I have a feeling that Patsy is going to give him dancing lessons so that he can woo Trixie and that Trixie will see them at it and misunderstand.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would a midwife really be allowed to perscribe & administer medicine without a doctors say so?..........An as for going to Liverpool to get it a bit far fetched?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milliejo wrote: »
    Dallas is edge of your seat drama? Maybe when JR was shot.....

CTM is grittier than that, it deals with the grinding poverty of the East End of London.
    It deals with the shadows of WWII, the true horrors of The Workhouse, disease that have been eradicated in this country now, such as Polio and the beginnings of the NHS.
    Sounds like the complaint of someone not allowed to watch Top Gear on BBC2.

More likely a compalint from someone who has to go to school the next day.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another bloody good episode last night not missing Jenny at all I fear there maybe marriage trouble ahead for the Turners. Loving Trixie and the Rev.😉
    Ps Trolls please don't contribute if you don't like the show. 😛
  • tawetawe Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love CTM and look forward to sunday evenings , its the best programme on in my opinion and it seems to cover a lot of topics that went on in that era , every episode has a good story to it .
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »

Have to agree .And her voice is grating on me now as is her sickly sweet smile ( when she occasionally does !! ) and her furrowed brow which is now almost a permanent feature .
  • ArtytartyArtytarty Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I think that dr? turner has a secret in his past, something much worse than smoking. Could it be to do with he death of his first wife?
    I was waiting , and still am, for Thalidomide to feature in the story line. It was a drug used for morning sickness at that time, early sixties. I thought the baby that the mother did not feel kicking very much was going to be affected.
    I agree Sheiia used to be my favourite character, so sweet and so pretty too. But she's not the same now.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Artytarty wrote: »
    I was waiting , and still am, for Thalidomide to feature in the story line. It was a drug used for morning sickness at that time, early sixties.

I'm surprised they haven't featured it. It was prescribed in the UK between April 1958 and November 1961, so just right for CTM which is still in 1959.
  • beaky29beaky29 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Oh no .... The docs being a bit dodgy about the adoption papers

I THOUGHT THAT! BET HE'S GOT SOME SKELETON OR SOMETHING IN THE CUPBOARD!
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE CTM. I have only cottoned on recently and been watching the programmes one after the other in marathon sessions.

Re the time. A lot has happened since the first programme so it can't still be the same year as it started. On one of the first programmes the tune played was "Magic Moments" This was no 1 in March 1958. We have since had Chummy arrive, fall in love, marry move away and have "Young Sir".

I think Jenny's grief is in keeping - especially considering the guilt she could well be feeling. I am glad to see more of the others but quite like her character for the overall mix.

I too am getting irritated by the new Sheelagh. I would imagine she would have driven a young boy Timmy's age nuts!

Phillippa Lowthorpe was director for some of the programmes. I had dealings with her when she was directing documentaries and she was such a lovely person.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the writers have evolved Shelagh's character quite well.

While a nun, her life was quite tightly wrapped around being a midwife between 9 and 5 and being a nun outside that time with the reasonably structures and rigid life that entailed.

Now, she has been unleashed into life outside Sisterhood and it's different.

She's also dealing with an enormous amount of change, let alone the challenges of her own health and that of Timothy.

But all that said, people are different. How the new nurse has dealt with her Singapore Changi-esque experience is how she deals with it. That's her way based on her personality.

Maybe Shelagh was always someone who experienced conflict in how she worked things out ( a bit like Jenny Worth is projected) and this mental grappling tendency has been unleashed with her rejection of the Sisterhood and emergence into 'normal' life?

I think it would be both false and boring if they all projected upbeat and positive characters who all took on their challenges in the same way.

I actually think they do meet their challenges pretty well but it's unrealistic to think they will all do it with smiling faces all the time. In fact, in my experience, that's rarely how people do things.

Unfortunately, for me, as the programmes drift more into fiction (or fact based fiction), my interest is waning.

Will Trixie get together with the Vicar? Well, if Heidi Thomas decides it, she will.

I cared about what happened to the real life individuals not some fictional representation of them.

Still a marvellous programme; I am focusing on the educational side of it now with regard to all the medical conditions of the time (I was a little boy of about 4 while last night's episode was going on :)).