Options

The judges' choice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
Well, of course, they want Ray to win; they favour him, deservedly, the most. They would not mind too much if Hayley won. BUT, the one person they do not want to win, is Beth.

Comments

• Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Well, of course, they want Ray to win; they favour him, deservedly, the most. They would not mind too much if Hayley won. BUT, the one person they do not want to win, is Beth.

And don't they just make it very clear.:( Hayley was even given the partner she wanted. By rights Dan should have been her partner.
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    And don't they just make it very clear.:( Hayley was even given the partner she wanted. By rights Dan should have been her partner.

In fairness, Dan won with both of them - he can't skate with both of them in the same series though. Someone had to skate with someone else and that just happened to be Beth. I don't know what that was the decision but I doubt it was because anyone didn't want her to win.
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    In fairness, Dan won with both of them - he can't skate with both of them in the same series though. Someone had to skate with someone else and that just happened to be Beth. I don't know what that was the decision but I doubt it was because anyone didn't want her to win.

Beth to me suits Lukasz more than she suited Dan anyways they are a stronger partnership and Hayley needs & suits Dan so I see no issue with the partnering either

but the flying last night who does that suit? The girl who can skate on her own, the guy with motion sickness, rugby player sized guy or the theatrical actress? Last night should have been props night but instead flying was back even tho it knocked Gareth out of the competition & could have easily done the same with Ray or Sam last night. They wanted Hayley in the final and they got it.
  • Options
    don robertodon roberto Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by petertard:
    [Well, of course, they want Ray to win; they favour him, deservedly, the most. They would not mind too much if Hayley won. BUT, the one person they do not want to win, is Beth. ]

Don't you think this conspiracy theory is taking it all a bit too far! The judges are better qualified than us armchair judges to decide who is the best. I doubt if they care a toss who wins apart from the public making the whole thing a bit of a farce!
    I keep on saying I dislike Ray but I cannot fault his abilities and that is what the judges are saying. It's not favouritism anymore than is "disliking" Beth.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't you think this conspiracy theory is taking it all a bit too far! The judges are better qualified than us armchair judges to decide who is the best. I doubt if they care a toss who wins apart from the public making the whole thing a bit of a farce!
    I keep on saying I dislike Ray but I cannot fault his abilities and that is what the judges are saying. It's not favouritism anymore than is "disliking" Beth.
    They clearly don't want Beth to win - if only because she thwarted them last year and showed them up for the graceless, curmudgeonly group they are.

Remember not one of them stood to congratulate her and the lukewarm applause came very late. Indeed Jason didn't applaud at all.

Ray is the most talented competitor DOI has ever seen - but oh - imagine the judges faces if Beth thwarted them yet again.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Ignazio wrote: »
    They clearly don't want Beth to win - if only because she thwarted them last year and showed them up for the graceless, curmudgeonly group they are.

Remember not one of them stood to congratulate her and the lukewarm applause came very late. Indeed Jason didn't applaud at all.

Ray is the most talented competitor DOI has ever seen - but oh - imagine the judges faces if Beth thwarted them yet again.

Is that what happened? I missed a lot of the last year's series but that sounds awful. Under those circumstances I'm surprised she agreed to do the show at all this year.
  • Options
    TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that what happened? I missed a lot of the last year's series but that sounds awful. Under those circumstances I'm surprised she agreed to do the show at all this year.

That sadly is very much what happened last year, I want Beth to win partly because I like her and partly just to see how the judges react.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was pathetic, an absolute disgrace but Beth had the public behind her.
    http://youtu.be/VlAqxir0YKw

Robin even had the bad grace to tweet that he still thought Matt should have won though, after the final, voting figures showed that she topped the public vote virtually every week whilst Matt Lapinskas (runner up) was bottom every week bar one.

Imagine their chagrin this year with the public still defying their opinion.
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Ignazio wrote: »
    It was pathetic, an absolute disgrace but Beth had the public behind her.
    http://youtu.be/VlAqxir0YKw

Robin even had the bad grace to tweet that he still thought Matt should have won though, after the final, voting figures showed that she topped the public vote virtually every week whilst Matt Lapinskas (runner up) was bottom every week bar one.

Imagine their chagrin this year with the public still defying their opinion.

I didn't know that. It seems absolutely bonkers to have brought her back in those circumstances, doesn't it? I can understand why people feel protective of her given that situation. Personally, I want Ray to win, simply because I think he's the best. My opinion is divided between the remaining two. I do find Hayley's efforts more entertaining overall but I think Beth's the better skater, so am leaning more towards her as my second choice.
  • Options
    don robertodon roberto Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Ignazio:

Well the judges are there to do just that and if they regard Beth as an "also ran" then why should they want her to win? They are there to judge who is the best not who the public wants!

You may think the judges are graceless and curmudgeonly but what has that got to do with judging dancing on ice? You may think Beth is the best thing since sliced bread but, like me, you are only an armchair judge not an expert (unless you are a medal winning skater!)

As to what happened last year, why harp on about it? I'm sure if Beth felt slighted she would have declined to compete this year!
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the judges are there to do just that and if they regard Beth as an "also ran" then why should they want her to win? They are there to judge who is the best not who the public wants!

You may think the judges are graceless and curmudgeonly but what has that got to do with judging dancing on ice? You may think Beth is the best thing since sliced bread but, like me, you are only an armchair judge not an expert (unless you are a medal winning skater!)

As to what happened last year, why harp on about it? I'm sure if Beth felt slighted she would have declined to compete this year!

Must of missed Jason & Ashley being medal winning skaters! So that leaves Robin & Karen and Chris & Jayne all expert skaters and have different views. It is easy to see even to non expert than Beth's routines are harder than Hayley & that she spends more time on the ice than Hayley but the judges barely comment on technical side which is supposed to be Robin & Karen's job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just watched the skate off from last night, I hadn't realised how unprofessional all the judges came across! Having put Sam at the bottom of the leader board they cant complain he is in the skate off and then for Jason to say his three for the final were Ray, Sam and Hayley was very nasty! Have lost all respect for all of them!

I thought Beth was the best skater in her series and she deserved to win and she is also my winner for this series too, but Ray is fab too so wouldn't mind him winning either!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have never claimed that Beth is the best thing since sliced bread - on the contrary I consider Ray the most complete competitor we have ever seen on DOI. However I do think that Beth, whilst lacking the performance skills of trained actors, is technically streets ahead of most male and all female contestants and her tricks and lifts add a dimension to her performance that Hayley can only dream about.

Why does Hayley never attempt any tricks or lifts? Is it because Dan cannot lift his partners or, as I suspect, because Hayley doesn't have them in her armoury?

My graceless and curmudgeonly comments applied to the judges reaction when Beth was announced last years winner. Their behaviour was appalling and nothing has changed.