Options

The Runaways - New Kristen Stewart Movie About Joan Jett

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
Forum Member
Does anyone know if/when this is getting a UK release? I've trawled the internet and can't find anything. It looks like it could be a great movie, and I like Joan Jett so I'm interested to see how Kristen will play her. Also really eagar to see Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie.

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTpdXKocacQ

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Gonna be a short movie if it's about a one-hit wonder...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a lot moer to Joan Jett than "I Love Rock 'N' Roll". Try doing some reading about her. Fascinating person.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I'm sure no matter how good the storyline is, Kristen Stewart will just ruin it anyway by playing the same character she does in every film - i.e. "Bella"! :yawn:
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    hey :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1230581&highlight=the+runaways already a thread on the film. Not sure when it gets a UK release but I really wanna see it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    At the moment it seems that the film hasn't yet got a distributer in the UK so it could be it may end up as an direct to DVD here.

Unlike Robert Pattinson, Kritsen Stewart doesn't have a similar fanatical fanbase. You also have a film about an one hit wonder in the UK. She may be someone in the US. but not here, It would be like someone trying to release a film in the UK about Lena Lovich or Nena.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    hey :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1230581&highlight=the+runaways already a thread on the film. Not sure when it gets a UK release but I really wanna see it.

Thanks for the link. :) I did do a search but, strangely, nothing came up?? Sorry to spam the board.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At the moment it seems that the film hasn't yet got a distributer in the UK so it could be it may end up as an direct to DVD here.

Unlike Robert Pattinson, Kritsen Stewart doesn't have a similar fanatical fanbase. You also have a film about an one hit wonder in the UK. She may be someone in the US. but not here, It would be like someone trying to release a film in the UK about Lena Lovich or Nena.

That's so annoying. I really want to see it in the cinema because it looks great. And even if Joan Jett isn't so well known here, Kristen and Dakota surely could draw enough of an audience to justify a release?

British fans get the short end of the stick again, what a surprise. :mad: :(
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    woven wrote: »
    That's so annoying. I really want to see it in the cinema because it looks great. And even if Joan Jett isn't so well known here, Kristen and Dakota surely could draw enough of an audience to justify a release?

thing is though, that is Hollywood. they don't care about anything but the $$$$$:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    woven wrote: »

If it starts making big money or picks up lots of awards somene will take a punt on it. As for your point about Kristen and Dakota justifying a release. Not a chance.

It's pretty much an well established fact going back over 30 years that actresses don't draw an audience as much as an aactor does. Partly it's down to the kind of fanbase they have compared to actors, partly it's down to the kind of films they make.
    When you take the biggest stars like Julia Roberts, Jodie Foster and look at what they draw as leads it's less than half of the average top name actor.
    Neither Kristen or Dakota are anywhere close to having the drawing power of people such as Julia, Jodie etc.

If you look at the current film starring Robert Pattinsson, Remember Me.

Opening weekend in the US = $8,089,139
    Total a week later = $13,918,922 (increase by just over 50%)
    Total after two weeks = $17,036,782 (less than double it's total from the opening weekend)

If you think how big Robert's fanbase is that isn't a huge amount. Robert is a star, he is popular with girls and Twilight fans, but he isn't a box office drawing actor yet.
    Kristen and Dakota are going to make some big films before they get considered bankable.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm sure no matter how good the storyline is, Kristen Stewart will just ruin it anyway by playing the same character she does in every film - i.e. "Bella"! :yawn:
    Not interested in the film but did catch a review on BBC News Channel the other week. It looked pretty dire to me but that could have been because of Stewart.

How the hell she gets work is beyond me. She does seem to be a one dimensional, miserable.... going to stop now
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The film gets released in our cinemas on the 27th August. Or if you can't wait, a screener is out via the usual suspects :D.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The movie played poorly here in the USA despite a heavy advertisement campaign. It only made a little over $3 million - which is astonishingly bad. It disappeared from theaters very quickly.